Police problems with under fender license plate?

I saw a couple of bikes in Bangkok with the license plate under the rear fender (see picture).

I am note so sure if this is legal in Thailand. But the more important question is: Does the police make trouble about this?

A long time ago I had a dirt bike and the number was flat on the back. Sometimes the police stopped me because they didn't see the number but I never had to pay a fine about this.

What is your experience with a "hidden" number plate?

990494793_NumberunderFender.png.7bcc69185f46bc5e92abd4f368ff6fd3.png

Stopped once with one of those mirrored things covering the plate. Given 10 mins to remove it or get a ticket. 

If the license plate is not visible how will they find your bike if it is stolen?

5 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

If the license plate is not visible how will they find your bike if it is stolen?

Do you think thieves will keep the original number plate on a stolen bike? I don't know how smart these guys are but that would be very stupid.

Bit stupid to have plates under the fender at such an angle that they can'r be read from behind. Asking for a tea money incident. But then I'm assuming anyone bothered to do that will also require tea money for the modified loud exhaust?  But hey there are lots of guys cooler than me.

34 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Bit stupid to have plates under the fender at such an angle that they can'r be read from behind. Asking for a tea money incident. But then I'm assuming anyone bothered to do that will also require tea money for the modified loud exhaust?  But hey there are lots of guys cooler than me.

You obviously prefer "those mirrored things covering the plate". That is definitely a lot cooler...

I have a plate mounted in that style. Never had an issue in 2-3 years and I've been stopped by the police quite a few times. It improves the look of the rear of the bike IMO and you don't have a huge sail hanging off the back acting like a parachute.

On mine the plate can be read though (until you ride through dirt and it sprays all over the plate). I'm pretty sure they could fine me for having it there if they really wanted to, but then the exhaust doesn't have the correct stamp either - even though it came installed on the bike from the main dealer. To me it's worth a couple of potential 200 Baht fines to have the bike looking the way I want it.

20180421_092635_zpszb8mktbo.jpg

On 5/22/2018 at 11:24 AM, VocalNeal said:

Stopped once with one of those mirrored things covering the plate. Given 10 mins to remove it or get a ticket. 

What makes you think they would even look for a stolen bike? 

Archived