Windows 16 cannot save, save as edit documents

khaepmu

My computer will not allow me to save, save  as, or edit any of my downloads or new documents. When I open a download it says "product activation failed." The Windows office software came with my laptop and it is not genuine. Of course I should have asked for a genuine Windows Office 16. I goggled this problem and it seems this will often  happens with pirated software.  This is the second time I have had a major problem with the software and my guess is the best solution is fork out and buy the genuine package- the real deal. @ months ago  I lost all of my documents. I took my computer to the shop that I bought it from and they assured me they could retrieve all of the lost info but after 2 hours they failed and told me not to download any of the Microsoft updates that are periodically sent. I am wondering if I can get my computer to save  and edit my documents and downloads with my present software (pirated) or do I absolutely have to buy the  genuine Microsoft package. I guess I am kind of answering my own question. Where might a good shop in Pattaya be for genuine Microsoft stuff be located? 

You can buy an Office 2016 product key on ebay for a few dollars.

BTW, neither product activation failure or Windows updates can cause you to lose data and the shop telling you not to update is giving you bad advice. Some other malware might do that though.

The only real solution is to start from scratch. Install Windows from a genuine source and then do the same with Office. 

• Like 2

OP, if you still want to walk on the 'dark' side, there is 3rd party software that will sort your problem out. Any, or rather all, of the smaller computer shops will have the software to achieve this.

If you want to be righteous, download whatever flavour of Office you want direct from MS after you have got a cheap key from where ever. Make sure the key corresponds to the install package; I don't think you can use a VLK or OEM key with a retail version.

On the issue of your lost documents, (as noted by thedemon) this has nothing to do with MS updates or un-activated software (ie, MS Office 2016). This is a completely separate issue that you need to get sorted out.

Edited by chrisinth

I recently battled a Windows update on a laptop.  I finally got it to work. But I lost the users files!  I found them in the C:\Widows directory in a folder called windows.old.  Whew!  At that point, I should have backed up the directory.  But I did not. Instead, I proceeded to apply all of the Windows patches that were pending.  I lost the files. Ugh.  I was able to recover them using data recovery software I purchased online from the site minitool.com.

I used to run into people who have laptops with bogus windows on them all the time.  I won't help them anymore.  They can't get updates and have other issues.  I recommend you go the Open Source route if you want to save money.  Install the Ubuntu Deskop operating system.  You can use many of the free Open Source office products that are compatible with Microsoft's office products. See the link below for more information.

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-install-ubuntu-desktop#0

10 hours ago, chrisinth said:

OP, if you still want to walk on the 'dark' side, there is 3rd party software that will sort your problem out. Any, or rather all, of the smaller computer shops will have the software to achieve this.

If you want to be righteous, download whatever flavour of Office you want direct from MS after you have got a cheap key from where ever. Make sure the key corresponds to the install package; I don't think you can use a VLK or OEM key with a retail version.

On the issue of your lost documents, (as noted by thedemon) this has nothing to do with MS updates or un-activated software (ie, MS Office 2016). This is a completely separate issue that you need to get sorted out.

I don't think that the OP has lost any documents. He just can't open any, because Windows totally blocked him.

A genuine key from Ebay will do the trick, not wanting to give the OP illegal advice on how to activate it. 

The dark side possibility would only solve the problem for a short period of time. 

If I were the OP, I'd go "genuine" now. I've got genuine keys for Windows 10 Pro, sorry, never heard of Windows 16. OP, please feel free to send me a message. 

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have extremely limited computer skills and experience and often don' know what you guys are talking about. What in the world is a Key? I do not even remember what version of Windows I have. I saw Windows 16 appear somewhere on my computer. I received a questionnaire ( I use Hotmail)as a attachment from an acquaintance who asked me to fill it out and return it. After spending some time filling out the questionnaire I noticed I was unable to save it as  download or document. I opened it again and could not longer edit or type on the document. I then posted this TV correspondence and I was advised to try downloading  'WPS Office free Version." I did so this morning an I am now able to save and edit the attached document and I am able to ope other downloads and documents.I was reluctant to download anything like that that I am not familiar with but it works really well. I never heard of it before. By the way, my Windows stared to malfunction soon after I opened the Hotmail attachment. It might have picked up a virus from that. 

Regarding lost documents downloads. A few months ago I woke up and my laptop screen was all red. I couldn't do anything with it. No commands. I took it to the shop I bought it from. All my saved stuff had disappeared. Everything. The tech guy told me he could retrieve all lost the material and to come back in an hour. But when I got back he said he was unable to retrieve it. He couldn't understand why. He then told me to never agree to any window updates and he went somewhere.  I got a new pirated version of Windows and Office The guy went into the computer  and clicked 'not new updates'. But I still get updates. sometime. But now Windows does not allow me to save or edit documents.

To make a long story short, I guess my best option is to get a genuine Windows and Windows Office software package. I am wondering if they install the genuine Windows will I still be able to save  all my stuff from the pirated software.

What are we talking about price wise for a new genuine Windows software package. Can you recommend a shop in the Pattaya area that is trustworthy. Thanks a lot for all of your replies. Maybe WPS is all i need at this point.

15 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

I don't think that the OP has lost any documents. He just can't open any, because Windows totally blocked him.

A genuine key from Ebay will do the trick, not wanting to give the OP illegal advice on how to activate it. 

The dark side possibility would only solve the problem for a short period of time. 

If I were the OP, I'd go "genuine" now. I've got genuine keys for Windows 10 Pro, sorry, never heard of Windows 16. OP, please feel free to send me a message. 

I don't think the operating system has anything to do with the OP's problem, the problem is coming from Microsoft (not Windows) Office. But even if there were Office documents on his system and he was unable to open with his office install, or even if Office was not installed, those documents would still be visible. If Office wasn't installed, they just wouldn't be displayed with the .exe icon of the program designated to open them and he would be asked which program he wanted to use to open them.

The genuine key from e-bay, would that be for Windows or Office or both?

When I mentioned the 'dark' side, this was only for a temporary fix, although if the correct 3rd party software (correct version obviously) this could be a permanent fix. That is my experience anyway. Microsoft Toolkit as mentioned by OMF as an example of 3rd party software.

I'm assuming the OP is talking about Office 2016 here, also never heard of Windows 16 unless it is for a Mac (don't know)