1st Time Pool Owner

ubonrthai

I'm considering getting a custom pool built and am looking for advice from those of you with more experience. I'm in Ubon Ratchathani and the only pool builder I've found is J.D. pools. I'll check others if any are available. Some have suggested I "build my own" but I have no experience doing construction so would prefer a company like J.D. that has experience. The purpose is for me to exercise using the Fastlane current generator and for the kids to play in for the next dozen years or so. It would get a lot of use. I'd build a P-shaped pool where the bottom of the "P" is the 2.2m wide lane required for the current generator and the fat part of the P maybe a 4x5m pool or so. 

1. J.D. has a mineral water filter or a salt chlorinator. I like the idea of no chlorine given how often I exercise and how I hate how it dries my skin. Are either of these worth getting? I've read that a salt chlorinator can be extra maintenance but I don't understand why.

2. I don't know if a fiberglass pool is an option considering I need a custom size. The other options would be tiled or liner pool. I have gone swimming in 2 J.D. liner pools that are almost brand new and each one already has a yellow stain line. Not sure if that's from poor maintenance but it was kind of gross and slimy. I'm partial to the looks of tile anyway. What kind of maintenance needs done on a tiled pool? Or on a liner pool?

3. Other things I should know?

Good morning,

i have had pools all my life but this is the first time i really felt a salt water pool is much easier to look after..

some of the big issues here is the weather, the constant sunshine will drain the pool of the chlorine and also the constant heavy rains during wet season will dilute the chlorine so you will need to monitor closely otherwise the water will turn murky or algae build up occurs if this happens its better to have a pool with a smooth skin as if a rough texture the algae will get in-between the tiles and stone and hard to remove thou a good heavy dose of chlorine will eventually kill it or sometimes at worst case drain the pool and acid wash.

saying this others will have differing views and comments. i prefer salt, i usually every few weeks drop between 6/10 additional bags of salt into the pool or overflow tank and let it dissolve ... you must still  some chlorine not a lot but some i use a dispenser that floats around and put a few chlorine pool tablets into this which dissolve at own pace..

so you also need an excellent salt-water cell chlorinator ... 

the water is softer with salt and the taste is ofcourse little salty ...  

i wouldn't recommend building yourself... there are many good companies around, unfortunately where you are you maybe limited with other options... 

smooth tiles are much easier to clean and look after, my pool has the lovely balinese tiles called sukabumi little more expensive are a rough texture but the green or aqua colour looks great especially at nite with the blue led lights shining through the water...

for cleaning the pool i use a DOLPHIN robotic pool cleaner, just drop into the pool hit the bluetooth wifi button and off it goes, maps the whole pool out itself so it doesnt continue to go over the same areas. it has a control and you can

manual guide it if necessary, picks up the dust and small leaves and does an excellent job instead of paying a boy to come and do if for 6/7000 per month and he stays 5 mins and leaves and smokes around the pool when there. they retail around 60/90,000 depending model you buy, there are other brands and makes but i have the dolphin which excellent and i haven't tried the others.. it has an umbilical cord which floats on the water and internal filters that after a a few goes you just slip out wash them clean with a hose and reinsert... easy as anything...

good luck

1 hour ago, toolpush said:

Salt water chlorinator is the way to go. I have had both the salt water and normal chlorine pools. The salt water system is practically maintenance free. It is about as salty as your teardrops.

agreed, how ever i dont have that system now, as i live in pattaya and with the electric going on and off all the time it shorted the salt water computer out needed to be replaced for about 25,000 baht so went back to chlorine pool not a big deal on the maintenance side.

2 hours ago, aussieinphuket said:

Good morning,

i have had pools all my life but this is the first time i really felt a salt water pool is much easier to look after..

some of the big issues here is the weather, the constant sunshine will drain the pool of the chlorine and also the constant heavy rains during wet season will dilute the chlorine so you will need to monitor closely otherwise the water will turn murky or algae build up occurs if this happens its better to have a pool with a smooth skin as if a rough texture the algae will get in-between the tiles and stone and hard to remove thou a good heavy dose of chlorine will eventually kill it or sometimes at worst case drain the pool and acid wash.

saying this others will have differing views and comments. i prefer salt, i usually every few weeks drop between 6/10 additional bags of salt into the pool or overflow tank and let it dissolve ... you must still  some chlorine not a lot but some i use a dispenser that floats around and put a few chlorine pool tablets into this which dissolve at own pace..

so you also need an excellent salt-water cell chlorinator ... 

the water is softer with salt and the taste is ofcourse little salty ...  

i wouldn't recommend building yourself... there are many good companies around, unfortunately where you are you maybe limited with other options... 

smooth tiles are much easier to clean and look after, my pool has the lovely balinese tiles called sukabumi little more expensive are a rough texture but the green or aqua colour looks great especially at nite with the blue led lights shining through the water...

for cleaning the pool i use a DOLPHIN robotic pool cleaner, just drop into the pool hit the bluetooth wifi button and off it goes, maps the whole pool out itself so it doesnt continue to go over the same areas. it has a control and you can

manual guide it if necessary, picks up the dust and small leaves and does an excellent job instead of paying a boy to come and do if for 6/7000 per month and he stays 5 mins and leaves and smokes around the pool when there. they retail around 60/90,000 depending model you buy, there are other brands and makes but i have the dolphin which excellent and i haven't tried the others.. it has an umbilical cord which floats on the water and internal filters that after a a few goes you just slip out wash them clean with a hose and reinsert... easy as anything...

good luck

That seems like a lot of salt!  How many m³ is it?

Had a pool here for around 7 years, always been a saltwater one, easy to maintain and so much nicer than adding chlorine. Pool salt is cheap, and I only ever need to top it up if there is very heavy rain. Use Cyanuric Acid to keep chlorine levels stable in the strong sunlight. My chlorinator is made by Intex and meant for an above ground pool, but works perfectly for an inground pool with a little adaption, these are much cheaper (around $120) but you would need to import from Amazon US. We built our pool ourselves (using local labour), there is plenty of info online, will save you hundreds of thousands Baht.

I had pools for 40 years I'm 

Ok Jd pools are a big company my gf does  work for them,  they do fibreglass and pool liners I be careful with a fibre glass pool 

Fibreglass pools fade no matter what they tell you in the shop or on the brochure

They also can delaminate over time and start to bubble  long story to go into. 

I would get if price permits a concrete pool and  salt water chlorination  why as its less mantainance. 

If you go the salt water route dont get a Emaux clorinater they are from China and poor quality and expensive to buy. 

If you have the money tile the pool if not plaster the pool with a top gel coat 

Go to l some local resorts and ask who build the pool if you see one you like. 

Concrete is a better long term option 

As for pool liners with kids trees rocks etc they can and will tear 

Good luck hope you find a good builder and the pool you deserve 

Doesnt matter where you are.. They will travel around thailand to build a pool.. There is money involved in a project like that and it can be built in some days. They will relocate.. Just find a company and something in your pricerange. J.D is considered on the low end of price. Check in neighbourhood what people say.

Archived