Full moon party

george

These pix will lead the thinking of thais in the wrong way. There are no thais on the pix, but it's a uge number of thais , from upper to lower class, coming down every month to party.

Also,they don't show how much money the thais are making there.MILLIONS- if not, there would be no party!!!

Farang don't make the rules here as nowhere in los, we're in the east, but part of the wild west.

The party is happening since more than 12 years, there is nothing alien any more, yes after each event there is more and more rubbish left, but it's cleaned away, and be honest, did you ever have the feeling that thais have a problem throwing rubbish on the street or in the nature?

Don't get me wrong, neither I'm a party freak, nor do I like to see rubbish than in the bin, but the FMP is the only thing feeding Haad Rin.

???

Thanks for your helpful criticism dr_pat_pong, let me know when you 'll come to one of our beautiful islands, and I pay you a beer.

To get back to the topic:

Sure there is some people coming to the FMP's that I wouldn't allow to enter the country but this is subject to the immigration.

I'm not defendind those, I'm not defending the rubbish, but I'm defending the party!

The expat community over there is well aware about the negative reputation of the FMP's, but it's not in their hand,

as this is not their country, and they are not the ones to make the rules.

If the party would be stopped, it will hit the locals and some big investors from BKK ,and we will have a couple of thousand thais more looking for work.

Most of the bungalows can't be rent out to holiday makers, they are only suitable for party freaks, cause slum alike,

built for masses not relaxation.

btw: my perspective is the one of a local thai, not from a   BKK thai

now dr_pat_pong, now I'm going to have a beer, wont be back before tomorrow, at least some time to think...

....have a nice way home

:o

hmm, just checked the pantip site again, surprise, it opened up all- very impressive, indeed.

On my previous visit I saw the upper half of two pix, that was it- not so impressive.

I agree, pix like this give the thais a point.

Most statements go deep, expressing their concerns about nature and culture, some have been aggressive and stupid

-farangs couldn't do better.

Through this statements I can learn that even well educated BKK-Thais find it obviously difficult to imagine that a picture is only a part of reality.Everything they see is bad and it comes from farang!

Do they really beleave, that the 8'- 15.000 visitors !!! like to sit and dance in excrements and broken bottles ?

The landlords and organizers are Thai, at least 95%, they do care more in the latest model of a high heel 4 wheel truck,

than in environment.(no money for cleaning up)

Accomodation is available for 6.000 maby(correct me), not sure, but I never heard of public lavatories???

Thinking about closing the party?

The gov. would have to come with billions of baht, or with a battle ship.

What is the Lonly Planet writing about the FMP's ?

Probably there  something could be done from the farang side.

Any more suggestions please, check out the pantip-site, some statements are in englsh.

thanx

Um... just to give my personal opinion on this...

Most Thais I know are not approved of the full moon party, really.  They do understand that it can make money...  but I think not many people would want it to be held if they can help it.

I've never been to the party myself (and I don't really want to).  It's been label as THE drug party by most Thais I know.  I'm not against partying and having fun.  I love partying myself.  But there's got to be a limit, really.  Most local people I've talked to only put up with this whole thing because it brings them some decent income.  I was around that part of Thailand last year and asked the locals' opinion of it all.  They seem to just tolerate it as a money making event but that'a about it.  The litter, the drugs, the disrespectful off-his-head/high-as-a-kite farangs (and Thais) are something we could live without, to be honest.

Personally, I wouldn't want full moon party to go on like this.  If it is to go on at all, then there should be some kind of system, some sort of organised body to do it properly.  From what I have heard and seen (from photos, tv programmes, people who have been to the party, the locals, the police), people got totally pissed and high off their heads there (then lots of them do silly things).  Drugs were piss easy to find there.  Every year, there are serious injuries/violence, even some deaths.  People openly snogging and being really physically intimate in public (which is a sign of insult to most Thais-it's just disrespectful from an average Thai point of view like me).  I know most of the info I got about the party are bias towards doing away with it all and I shouldn't mock it till I see it for myself.  But I think there are still some truth in them.  I'd like to see something done about the whole thing.

I've read some of the Pantip posts and although it is true that Thailand is a democratic country as someone in there raised this point, it is NOT against your human rights to ban a party that has been organised in a reckless manner.  If what is going on there cannot be limited to the level of some decency, then I'll vote for it to rest in peace.

I wouldn't really blame the tourists for it.  The organisers should take the responsibility too and the Thai authorities could really do more.  

I do think though, that something more could be done from the tourists as well (ie. being a bit more respectful towards the culture would be a starting point... although I know that may be hard to do when one got totally 'shit-faced' as they call it).  I just feel that most of the tourists seem to have the attitude 'I don't care, this is not my country, if I can do all these things and get away with it, then it's the Thai authority's problems'; and I think that's why Thais feel hostile towards the tourists iin this matter even though it is quite right that the authorities should step in and take the matters in their hands.  I think lots of Thais are frustrated that the authorities are not doing enough.  The locals themselves cannot (or will not for fear of losing the profits) put any pressure on anyone to sort this out.  And to top it off the rich (in Thais eyes) tourists come all the way to take drugs, litter the beach, strut about like they own the place and then bugger off home leaving all the mess behind.  So, when they can't do anything about it themselves and the authorities are failing them, the tourists will be the next in line for the blame.  

To me, personally, it's not really about who to blame.  It's more about what we should do.  How could we make this party cleaner and safer should be a start.  And really, if things can't be organised in the end, maybe it is better to let it go.  

JMHO

Just want to add my tuppence please....

Bull, Thai's love money, it is a national pasttime & if the farang who pay a lot to come to Thailand & go to full moon party make a mess, it should be up to the resort owners/bar owners making a mint from farang to clean up the beach once the madness has calmed down. It's all about money now, not the freedom of partying on a beuatiful beach until dawn with other likeminded people, it's about advertising an event on an island in Thailand & getting as many people to go to it, same as any rave, festival, music outdoor event in the Uk & EUrope, so they can't complain if a bunch of tossers turn up. The difference between these events & full moon is that the organisers in Europe, UK, wherever realise that you have to pay people to clean up after you instead of living with the rat/cockroach infested rubbish that is left lying around until the next monthly bash in Thailand, or in the case of us living in Samui, washing up on our beaches & having our residents cleaning up.

Blame the police, tourists, government, whoever but it should be the local bar & resort owners paying a clean up cost & no-one else as they make enough money out of this thing everymonth, if they have enough money for a new house & a 4WD pickup, the can certainly pay a few hundred baht to someone to clean up the mess! :o

I agree that the organisers who make money out of this should bear the cost.  However, without any enforcement procedure in place, it's not likely that they will dig their hands into their pockets and pay up.  

Rave/party organisers around Europe wouldn't have paid up either if no one made them.  Only last year there was a huge party on a beach here in the UK and the organiser refused to clean up the whole mess and argued that he only needed to clean up certain part, leaving trails of broken glasses, bottles etc etc behind, just like the pictures in Pantip website.  But the authority here was having none of it.  That is why the Thai authority should do the same, step in and take things seriously.  Obviously, they are not likely to do this as there's money at stake.  It's not just the Thais who want to make money.  Any other nation in the world want to spend as little as possible and get as much out of things as possible.  It is more obvious in Thailand as it is hardly a rich country in the first place.  

I mentioned that something more could be done from the tourists too as people seem to have complained about the fact that most Thai people seem to have hostile attitude towards the party.  As I've pointed out, the main reason is most likely to derive from their frustration of not being able to do much about the whole thing.  People organising want the money and make it by these types of party.  People visiting want to have fun and know they can buy it in these sorts of party.  The attitude is, buy it, have a good time and leave.  Your average local want to see it done properly (ie safety & cleanliness as priority) but lack any power to influence.  They then feel as if they are being exploited and there's not much they can do as all the people who can change anything has been silence by the money.  It just goes round and round and round.

It is about money, which Thailand obviously need.  So it's hardly surprising that the authority and the people benefiting from it are not going to rock the boat.  But I can see why an average Thai person would want to see the back of it.