How the junta misused culture to boost ‘Thai-ism’

rooster59

Very good opinion piece by Apipar Norapoompipat in the Bangkok Post today on the running of the BACC, titled "Collective Amnesia".  It's somewhat related to this thread as it's about the government heavy-handledly stepping in to manage (censor) culture.

The last paragraph is a beauty, but it's also interesting to learn that the BMA ran the BACC before and made a mess of it.  

The BACC is a nice place to visit always, with a different vibe from the surrounding area.

On 5/27/2018 at 5:17 AM, rooster59 said:

The Education Ministry set out to coach students in civic duty, discipline, morality and patriotism.

The best would be to start with themselves. The students are OK, but the administration is rotten 

• Like 2

On 5/27/2018 at 12:54 PM, ChidlomDweller said:

What rankles here is not so much culture as top-down cultural engineering with an agenda.

Absolutely. Totally agree. However it is going on in the West from the top-down in the opposite direction although on a smaller scale and much less heavy handed.

3 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

The best would be to start with themselves. The students are OK, but the administration is rotten 

There's no point in criticising the Education Dept, nobody even needs to ask what they do any more, all the superlatives have been used ad nauseam. What they do is evident from just wandering or driving around the place and keeping your eyes open. If ever there is a Nobel prize for bolloxing something up, I doubt anyone/anything could hold a candle to the Thai Education system, it's an absolute no-brainer.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 2

You have to admit it's clever. And if they are that much cleverer than the brainwashed masses, perhaps they are the best bunch to rule the country. 

No, I'm not warming to the junta, I've just lost confidence completely in the ordinary Thai people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlesSwann said:

You have to admit it's clever. And if they are that much cleverer than the brainwashed masses, perhaps they are the best bunch to rule the country. 

No, I'm not warming to the junta, I've just lost confidence completely in the ordinary Thai people.

I'm right there with you...