Best currency exchange

jamieoutlook

I've shopped around a fair bit, looked at the banks, and various currency exchanges around Phuket. Usually I just withdraw money straight from my Hong Kong debit/atm card (HSBC) as that's a pretty good rate and super convenient.

But for larger amounts, apparently there's a place somewhere in Phuket Town north east a few blocks of immigration that does the best rates on the island. I used them a few years back, but they're a pain to find.

So now I use the red exchange place, I think they're called XValue or something similar. There's one in the middle of the banking/exchange offices on the banking floor in Central Festival. There's also one on the gravel parking lot in front of Pepper's Bar on the way into Laguna. And another big red building on the left north of the lights on the road leading to airport, about 500 metres south of the airport proper.

Can anyone remember the name of this 'red' exchange booth? I've found them the best.

First stop: check the best publicized note exchange rates to know the benchmark:

https://daytodaydata.net/

(select your currency (?) -> THB -> Notes)

Example just now:

best Euro note rate for big note is 37.25 in Bangkok.

"Value+" is a company that has multiple sites in Phuket (and nationwide).

Their rates here:

http://www.valueplusexchange.com/#/

locations:

https://www.facebook.com/ValueplusPhuketCurrencyExchange/

For the Euro example they show 37.20.

So now walk out what your nearest booths show and decide based on your amount (?) what trip is worth to get 5 or 10 Satang more.

Negotiable rates usually start at about 10000 USD or equivalent.

valueplus.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flying Clog said:

Yes, Value+, that's the one. 

I don't bother going anywhere else these days, they're virtually impossible to beat, and wipe the floor with the bank's exchange rates.

Thanks, I went to 8 different places today around Patong, including one Value+  but not one had $NZ which i want.

Note...not a big difference between them all on the rate offered.

Edited by jamieoutlook

6 minutes ago, jamieoutlook said:

but not one had $NZ which i want.

?

You want to BUY NZD (change Baht to New Zealand Dollar)?

Well that's a more ambitious undertaking.

Different from what 9x% of foreigners want to do.

Most of the streetside booths will not sell foreign currency at all.

So here I am clueless for the moment.

6 minutes ago, jamieoutlook said:

Note...not a big difference between them all on the rate offered

Not to my surprise. That's why I mentioned 5 to 10 Satang. People are smarter/better informed and booths with fantasy numbers will get a miss.

Take best rates from Bangkok, deduct (or in your case add) 10 Satang and you should get that at many places.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

?

You want to BUY NZD (change Baht to New Zealand Dollar)?

Well that's a more ambitious undertaking.

Different from what 9x% of foreigners want to do.

Most of the streetside booths will not sell foreign currency at all.

So here I am clueless for the moment.

Not to my surprise. That's why I mentioned 5 to 10 Satang. People are smarter/better informed and booths with fantasy numbers will get a miss.

Take best rates from Bangkok, deduct (or in your case add) 10 Satang and you should get that at many places.

I am going to NZ for a few months as i did also a couple of years ago when living in Chiang Mai.

There,i had no problem at all in getting $NZ and was able to order it ahead and they kept it for me to pick up before i departed..IIRC about 60,000 bahts worth. {Superrich exchange}

I can of course change it in NZ but what i can get here in exchange for ..eg for 100,000baht is about $NZ 4550 against  $NZ 4000,so is more than a few satang involved.

I believe today that a couple of exchanges said that they had $Aus, but this would involve also changing to $NZ later.

Any one coming to Phuket from NZ soon would be good..we could exchange at the current rate, though this is not a high possibility.

I have an SCB ATM/debit card , but seem to remember a big loss a low exchange plus extra costs last time i did that in NZ.

Any further advice/tips much appreciated.

1 hour ago, jamieoutlook said:

I am going to NZ for a few months as i did also a couple of years ago when living in Chiang Mai.

There,i had no problem at all in getting $NZ and was able to order it ahead and they kept it for me to pick up before i departed..IIRC about 60,000 bahts worth. {Superrich exchange}

I can of course change it in NZ but what i can get here in exchange for ..eg for 100,000baht is about $NZ 4550 against  $NZ 4000,so is more than a few satang involved.

I believe today that a couple of exchanges said that they had $Aus, but this would involve also changing to $NZ later.

Any one coming to Phuket from NZ soon would be good..we could exchange at the current rate, though this is not a high possibility.

I have an SCB ATM/debit card , but seem to remember a big loss a low exchange plus extra costs last time i did that in NZ.

Any further advice/tips much appreciated.

Just go to a bank and tell them what you want some time in advance.

• Thanks 1

They all vary to a degree, so any heads up on which one is known for best exchange rates on Phuket would be appreciated thanks.
The best and reliable I know is "Airport exchange". It is just opposite of way out from old (domestic) terminal. Their main biz is car rentals, exchange occupies small booth inside.

Отправлено с моего ASUS_Z010D через Tapatalk