Which Samui Bars Do All The Uk Expats Hang Out?

The Gent has some valid points.

The fact is that British people, predominantly men, frequent nearly all drinking establishments. Eden in Lamai * is an example of a pub with mostly, if not exclusively British clientele.

I believe that it is not a stretch to say that a large proportion of British folk in Lamai are under forty (30 maybe?), from the "working classes" and are almost to a man tattoo-spackled.

I have a number of acquaintances who are British and very personable. On the other hand, many I encounter have a sense of "holier than thou" when it comes to all other nationalities. As a non-British citizen, I am usually treated as a nobody or as a person who "doesn't count" in any discussions on anything.

I find it amusing to read retorts from Brits that imply the use of physical violence to "educate" a particular poster. Having first-hand knowledge of this sort of thuggish mentality, I can say that it solves nothing and serves only to foster the impression, real or imagined, that English people here are Cro-Magnon oafs.

*On-topic comment!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>I find it amusing to read retorts from Brits that imply the use of physical violence to "educate" a particular poster. Having first-hand knowledge of this sort of thuggish mentality, I can say that it solves nothing and serves only to foster the impression, real or imagined, that English people here are Cro-Magnon oafs.

For Christ sake I was being facetious!

I can not be bothered to go, and on, and on. Not another quad thread.

I was at my local pub last night (and well into the morning) and there was a Brit (Welsh) stag group. Most were ok lads but one had to do what always seems to happen - he stripped in the middle of the bar. What is it with these guys about stripping in public? Even when it's minus 13C a few feet away? So do the tourists in Samui (Brit or otherwise) tend to strip in public or is it more frowned upon there (it is here as well but that doesn't stop them)? Sorry, I'm pretty sexist on this subject, I only want to see the ladies strip.

• 1 year later...
Just been reading this old thread.

What a difference a few months make.

Of around six bars mentioned earlier:

Faulty Towers gone

Coco Blues gone

Ting Tong gone

Sloaneys gone

but at least another four hopefuls set up to replace them...for how long?

Any good ones left in Lamai? :o

I was at my local pub last night (and well into the morning) and there was a Brit (Welsh) stag group. Most were ok lads but one had to do what always seems to happen - he stripped in the middle of the bar. What is it with these guys about stripping in public? Even when it's minus 13C a few feet away? So do the tourists in Samui (Brit or otherwise) tend to strip in public or is it more frowned upon there (it is here as well but that doesn't stop them)? Sorry, I'm pretty sexist on this subject, I only want to see the ladies strip.

Wow, what a blast from the past. I'm happy to say that the Brit tourists I've run across on Samui are MUCH better than the annoying shits we would get back in Estonia.

As for new expat hangouts...

Much of the old Sloaney's gang now goes 300m down the road across from Mermaid to Premier Sports Bar. It's actually a pretty nice place. Too nice maybe for ol' Bangrak. :o

Hi All

My name is Ron, I visited Samui a long while ago and there was a pub in Bophut called either 'Steve's inn' or simply 'The Pub'

It was run by a Jim Bowen-alike originally from the Isle of Man

Would any of you know if it is still a going concern please ?

Best Wishes

Ron

Hi All

My name is Ron, I visited Samui a long while ago and there was a pub in Bophut called either 'Steve's inn' or simply 'The Pub'

Best Wishes

Ron

Yes it's still there and does a decent sunday roast, steve isn't around much these days though.

Hi All

Best Wishes

Ron

Yes it's still there and does a decent sunday roast, steve isn't around much these days though.

Thanks SBB, pleased to hear he is still out there.

I am hoping to be out there myself in the early part of next year - only for a few weeks' holiday though

Best Regards,

Ron

Well said stick.

To the op, it is hard to answer your question as everyone has their own idea of whom they want to drink with, you need to distinguish what your needs are. You can have a better time drinking should that be your way of a social life with ex pats that do not frequent bars....