Cost to repair hotel room door scratched by dog

giblet

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:52 PM, KittenKong said:

Seems way over the top to me. It just needs sanding and varnishing. Should not take more than one hour and will require hardly any materials. 500B max, and much less if their own handyman does it.

Looking at the wall plaster it doesn't seem that the room is in particularly good condition or particularly well decorated. How much is it per night?

The room is out of service until the repair can be made and then it would take an hour to sand all the damage away.  It would then need to be coloured/lacquered/blended and then the room would be unusable until the repair had dried properly.  It is not a one hour jb.  The condition of the room and it's decoration is irrelevant to the cost of the repair of the damage caused by his dog.

The room is out of service until the repair can be made and then it would take an hour to sand all the damage away. It would then need to be coloured/lacquered/blended and then the room would be unusable until the repair had dried properly. It is not a one hour jb. The condition of the room and it's decoration is irrelevant to the cost of the repair of the damage caused by his dog.

The condition of the room is very relevant to the repair. Any repair only has to be to the same standard as the rest of the room, and looking at the photo that is not very high. The plaster joint by the door is a mess.

As for the time needed, I could easily do the job in a hour and the result would be more than satisfactory. Of course I would do it with proper tools like a powder sander and two grades of good quality sandpaper, which would take all of 10 minutes, whereas here they are more likely to use some recycled sandpaper and a wood block.

The drying time is only important if the hotel is full and has to turn people away as a result. I think this is very unlikely.

No matter how you look at it, any properly managed hotel would have a handyman on call and would be prepared to do jobs like this. I used to do much more complicated jobs myself in the 6 hours available to me on changeover day when I had a holiday rental business in Europe. But I was organised and worked fast.

This is just yet another example of profiteering as far as I can see.

The room is out of service until the repair can be made and then it would take an hour to sand all the damage away. It would then need to be coloured/lacquered/blended and then the room would be unusable until the repair had dried properly. It is not a one hour jb. The condition of the room and it's decoration is irrelevant to the cost of the repair of the damage caused by his dog.

The condition of the room is very relevant to the repair. Any repair only has to be to the same standard as the rest of the room, and looking at the photo that is not very high. The plaster joint by the door is a mess.

As for the time needed, I could easily do the job in a hour and the result would be more than satisfactory. Of course I would do it with proper tools like a powder sander and two grades of good quality sandpaper, which would take all of 10 minutes, whereas here they are more likely to use some recycled sandpaper and a wood block.

The drying time is only important if the hotel is full and has to turn people away as a result. I think this is very unlikely.

No matter how you look at it, any properly managed hotel would have a handyman on call and would be prepared to do jobs like this. I used to do much more complicated jobs myself in the 6 hours available to me on changeover day when I had a holiday rental business in Europe. But I was organised and worked fast.

This is just yet another example of profiteering as far as I can see.

Blah blah blah...I’m really bitchin’...blah blah blah....did I tell you how bitchin’ I am? Blah blah blah.....

If the room is not available to rent, the guy that does the damage should have to pay.

On 5/29/2018 at 1:05 AM, Jdietz said:

New door: THB 5,000

Fitting: THB 1,000

Hotel room out of order, 1 night: THB 2,000

Markup for inconvenience: ~ THB 2,000

So anywhere around THB 10,000 sounds quite reasonable.

Why a new door is needed? Are you all crazy? Every handyman can repair it easy for 200-500 THB include filling, sanding & painting. 

The door is not broken or something else!!!

On the spot repairs are likely far more frequent and expected in a pet friendly hotel. Only way to make a conclusive statement really is to revisit the room after the repairs and check out how well they were done. 

On the spot repairs are likely far more frequent and expected in a pet friendly hotel. Only way to make a conclusive statement really is to revisit the room after the repairs and check out how well they were done. 

What difference does it make how or even if the repairs are done?
  • Haha 1

So we must assume all the foreigners who are obliged to pay the extra dual pricing say in a national park entrance are wussy...

What does that have to do with paying for damages one is liable for? They have a sign up with two prices, pay or don’t.

It’s okay to be a wuss dude, just don’t blame the country for it...

So we must assume all the foreigners who are obliged to pay the extra dual pricing say in a national park entrance are wussy...

No farang is actually obliged to pay extra in a national park as entry is always optional. I simply dont enter, and never will. There is much better scenery elsewhere in the world that does not come with a rip-off charge.

What difference does it make how or even if the repairs are done?

If I pay for an expensive repair I expect it to be done. Anything else is just fraud.

So if you pay for a cheap repair and it’s not done done is it fraud as well?

If you spilled coffee on someone’s shirt, and gave them money to have it cleaned, would you expect them to provide you with a receipt?

If they took the cleaning money, but just threw the shirt in the laundry, would they be committing fraud?

2,000 THB =62.4488USD ~

Is it really worth to make a huge issue out of it?

Of course the owner is not obliged to do the repair at the cheapest cost so as to pass the benefit on to you. Taking ALL in to consideration, 2000THB is peanuts and passing insults to the owner is going down to the dredges!

Such superfluous things should not complicate ones life - IMHO

4 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

First thing to do is have the dog put down

If you can't afford to pay for the damages you can't afford to be a dog owner.... 

Any dog owner who had any thought for their pet would not take it to a pet friendly establishment ever

2,000 sounds reasonable.

Its not a part-job. It's a full door sand and revarnish job.

Hotels are well within their rights to charge for the time it will take not just for the job, but to go and buy all the consumables and the hassle.

I broke 2 glasses in a hotel last week and they charged me 400 baht - Ocean glasses are about 80 baht each, but they have to go to the trouble of buying them.

No big deal.

• Like 1