Foldable Bed Options in Chiang Mai?

Stubby

Howdy folks.

Does anyone know where I can find a bed like the one in the image? I need a fodable/storable extra bed for when visitors come.

The last time I had a friend come to stay, I bought something called an INTEXT air bed. Well, let's just say his neck has never been the same. I'm not sure if it was the bed or the way he laid on it, but he wouldn't get on the bloody thing again.

I've been to Carrefour and BIG C but nothing in either of those places.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance,

9d68d8aa8e91cfdd3688a8ed048f85fe.jpg

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

I think for temporary guests, Thai people would usually have a soft mattress put on the floor.

Buy a soft latex mattress which can be folded and your problem is solved.

I have not seen any of these foldable beds in Chiang Mai if you insist on a bed ....

Edited by EricTh

19 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I have not seen any of these foldable beds in Chiang Mai if you insist on a bed ....

Dude, they're everywhere, shops at Bo Sang and Ban Tawai that sell nothing but.

Traditional with triangle headrest, or just a mattress with 2 folds.

All the furniture shops near Tesco superhighway (Atsadathon Road) sell Sofa beds from 5Kbht.

mat.jpg

matt.jpg

Edited by MaeJoMTB

24 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I think for temporary guests, Thai people would usually have a soft mattress put on the floor.

Buy a soft latex mattress which can be folded and your problem is solved.

Thanks Eric. 

I know the kinds of inexpensive mats you speak of, and Thais seem quite comfortable with them. I think most of my friends are too big and too heavy to get a good night's kip on the floor, mat, or no mat. I have a couple of other places to try today, so finger's crossed. I have seen some foldable beds on lazada. Still, this is a product you want to see before you buy.

Anyway, thanks for the response ?

Stubby

6 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Dude, they're everywhere, shops at Bo Sang and Ban Tawai that sell nothing but.

Traditional with triangle headrest, or just a mattress with 2 folds.

All the furniture shops near Tesco superhighway (Atsadathon Road) sell Sofa beds from 5Kbht.

mat.jpg

matt.jpg

Thanks, MaeJoMTB.

Yes, I've seen these options in my neighborhood too (Mae Hia). But I'm looking for something a little more permanent. I want something off the floor, hopefully, and with an adjustable headrest. I may or may not get lucky but I'll do a little more searching first ?

I already have furniture so don't have room for a bed sofa, which is why I need something I can fold and store ?

Stubby

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Thanks Eric. 

I know the kinds of inexpensive mats you speak of, and Thais seem quite comfortable with them.

Stubby

I'm not talking about the thin mat but a comfortable mattress that is foldable and lightweight. You don't need to have a heavy bed underneath this.

See the pic below.

latex-mattress-custom-size-mattress-sela

Edited by EricTh

44 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I'm not talking about the thin mat but a comfortable mattress that is foldable and lightweight. You don't need to have a heavy bed underneath this.

See the pic below.

latex-mattress-custom-size-mattress-sela

Thank, Eric, that looks a little more interesting.

It's still a floor mattress though, but maybe it's more comfortable than it looks. I'll certainly not walk by them if I see any, not without having a look first ;)

Stubby

1 hour ago, anto said:

Bought one in Makro several years ago.A couple you years

Thanks, Anto, I never thought about Macro. I have to pop over there later anyway, so I'll take a look upstairs ?

Stubby

1 hour ago, flare said:

They've got an army-type folding cot and some air-mattresses at Decathlon in Tesco Hang Dong- they're near the tents at the front.

Thanks, Flare, that's my next stop later this afternoon.

I've been to Makro and they only had floor mattresses. I then went to Global Furniture. They had plenty of floor mattresses too. They also had one foldable bed but it was huge (tall and wide) even when folded. The hunt continues ?

Stubby

Just a quick update, folks.

I went to a couple of other furniture malls this afternoon, then Tesco Lotas, and Decathlon. I couldn't find anything suitable so decided to throw in the towel. On my way back along the Hang Dong road, there was another furniture shop recessed at the side of the road. I decided to pop in and have a look seeing as I didn't have to make a special trip. At the back of the shop was one foldable bed complete with a metal frame at just the right size. What I stumbled on was precisely what I'd been looking for. So there you go. A little patience and persistence pays off sometimes.

Thanks once again for all the suggestions ?

Stubby 

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

. At the back of the shop was one foldable bed complete with a metal frame at just the right size. What I stumbled on was precisely what I'd been looking for. So there you go. A little patience and persistence pays off sometimes.

Stubby 

Good that you finally found what you're looking for.

Btw, how much did you pay for both the foldable bed and mattress?

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

I went to a couple of other furniture malls this afternoon, then Tesco Lotas, and Decathlon. I couldn't find anything suitable so decided to throw in the towel. On my way back along the Hang Dong road, there was another furniture shop recessed at the side of the road. I decided to pop in and have a look seeing as I didn't have to make a special trip. At the back of the shop was one foldable bed complete with a metal frame at just the right size. What I stumbled on was precisely what I'd been looking for. So there you go. A little patience and persistence pays off sometimes.

Stubby 

Any chance of a picture and the name or location of the shop? We could use a spare guest bed around the house.

Thanks once again for all the suggestions [emoji6]

Stubby 
Stubby pls post a picture when set up.
Got a bill with shop address or else it case I want to order one?

Sent from my Pixel using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 hours ago, EricTh said:

Good that you finally found what you're looking for.

Btw, how much did you pay for both the foldable bed and mattress?

The foldable bed with mattress cost about 3500 Baht, Eric. It may or may not need a softer topper but I'll report back with an update if that's the case 

2 minutes ago, Stubby said:

The foldable bed with mattress cost about 3500 Baht, Eric. It may or may not need a softer topper but I'll report back with an update if that's the case 

That's very inexpensive for both. You got a real bargain if you can sleep comfortably on it.

14 hours ago, grin said:

Any chance of a picture and the name or location of the shop? We could use a spare guest bed around the house.

Hi, Grin. They're delivering the bed later this afternoon (free delivery) so I don't have a pic. If memory serves me right, the shop is just a little way past the Geriatric Hospital heading out on the Hang Dong Road. It's just a few minutes further along than the big Tesco Lotus. 

13 hours ago, connda said:

I saw a couch / folding bed combination at Do Home on highway 11 between Chiang Mai and Lamphun. 
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Do+Home/@18.6662072,99.0501186,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x64ed1d0cc4ee918c!8m2!3d18.6662072!4d99.0501186

Thanks, Connda, but I've got my bed now. I didn't want the sofa/bed, but there are plenty of those around for folks who do. The foldable bed is more portable/storable, whereas the couch-beds are bigger and more permanent. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

That's very inexpensive for both. You got a real bargain if you can sleep comfortably on it.

I agree. It's not a queen size like my first post though. I think it's about 195cm long and 90cm wide. It's similar to a single person air mattress in size. I know it's only a spare bed, but I hope it's comfortable enough for the occasional visitor. If not, then I'll have to spend a bit extra on a mattress topper, but that's nothing for now.

2 hours ago, THAIPHUKET said:

Stubby pls post a picture when set up.
Got a bill with shop address or else it case I want to order one?

Sent from my Pixel using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'll see if they have a card in English, ThaiPhuket. I think items like beds are best viewed before buying, though ?

OK, I have a quick update on the bed.

I slept on it last night to try it out, and it's as hard as a rock. That's the bad news. The good news is that after a bit of fidgeting I found it surprisingly comfortable. One shoulder ached slightly this morning, but my guess is the body isn't used to the different surface. I don't think it would take long to adjust. However, this is a guest bed, so that means visitors won’t have time to get used to the hard surface if indeed they could. So I think this particular bed needs a mattress topper to soften the experience slightly. That will probably add another 1500B to the price bringing the cost to around 5000B or just over.

Stubby

11 hours ago, Stubby said:

I slept on it last night to try it out, and it's as hard as a rock. That's the bad news. The good news is that after a bit of fidgeting I found it surprisingly comfortable. One shoulder ached slightly this morning, but my guess is the body isn't used to the different surface. I don't think it would take long to adjust. However, this is a guest bed, so that means visitors won’t have time to get used to the hard surface if indeed they could. So I think this particular bed needs a mattress topper to soften the experience slightly. That will probably add another 1500B to the price bringing the cost to around 5000B or just over.

Stubby

I would not bother .After all you do not want guests overstaying their welcome .In my case the Thai wifes relatives ? Some Thai though prefer to sleep on bare tile .Its cooler lol

Edited by anto
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Stubby said:

Stubby

I guess it must be one of those thin mattresses that will lose its elasticity after a few months. No wonder it's so cheap.

Like I said, it's better to buy a foldable latex mattress to replace it with that is longer lasting.

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

I guess it must be one of those thin mattresses that will lose its elasticity after a few months. No wonder it's so cheap.

Like I said, it's better to buy a foldable latex mattress to replace it with that is longer lasting.

You're probably right, Eric. But then this is only a spare bed and it won't get used much so it'll probably outlive me with its existing mattress ?