Where Have All The Yankees Gone?

Jingthing

Correct me if I'm wrong but the US is Asia's biggest export market if they lose that who in Asia will take up the slack when they have no jobs because of their factories closures. Also consider that China and India have huge populations but only a small domestic market. The vast majority of their populations live in poverty. Europe would certainly go in recesion as they also depend on the US economy for trade. I'm not an economist so plz bear with my speculations I could be wrong.

Yes you just cant get blood out of a stone :o The Yanks have already well and truly

maxed out their credit cards and are heading for consumer fatigue ! just cause

Asia produces cheap stuff for America surely doesn't mean its always 100 percent

going to be purchased ? may be this is indeed why some leading economists

see the whole thing unraveling ? :D

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is true Americans are maxed out and in debt as a people. However, there are a few pools of future wealth there though:

housing prices, if they recover again consumers will take out home equity loans to buy electronics and stuff

inheritances, an aging population, lots of oldies with big pots of coin

retirement accounts (IRAs, 401ks), hey if you really need that 100 inch screen plasma tv, why not rob the future to have a super bowl party NOW?

After all thats played out, I have no idea.

I for one,still plan on retire in thailand. the baht to usd will not scare me off. 20 bht to the dollar, its not going to happen. :o

this misplaced confidence by Americans never ceases to amaze me ! :D many of them are completely oblivious

to the financial mess their country is in ??? :D

Or, more likely, since they actually LIVE there, they know how great things really are in the USA, as opposed to the ridiculously slanted drivel masquerading as news coverage that is peddled worldwide.

Yeah, I would say that people who live in the USA are far more likely to be well acquainted with how things are in the USA, as they do, actually, live there, work there, and have first-hand experience.

In fact, I have never lived in any country, anywhere where I have seen such unbelievable prosperity. If there has been a time on Earth, or a country or region that is richer than the USA is now, I don't recall seeing it in my studies of history. I'm not talking about a few golden elite amassing great fortunes. I am talking about the average guy on the street. It's a great place to live, and great time to be living.

Edited by Smilodon

By golly, I concur. :D

Can't tel if that's ironic or sarcastic... :o

LaoPo

I was agreeing with you. :D

I appreciate that this may not apply to the poster individually but frankly the American population voted for george bush, they they unbelievably re-elected him (apparently, inter alia, on the basis of 'moral values').

Ummmm, the votes the American public make don't actually decide who wins the presidency. I suggest you do some reading on something called the electoral college. :D

By golly, I concur. :D

Can't tel if that's ironic or sarcastic... :o

LaoPo

I was agreeing with you. :D

I appreciate that this may not apply to the poster individually but frankly the American population voted for george bush, they they unbelievably re-elected him (apparently, inter alia, on the basis of 'moral values').

Ummmm, the votes the American public make don't actually decide who wins the presidency. I suggest you do some reading on something called the electoral college. :D

Come on, don't be an ass! Did I ever say I don't know about the electoral college? Just pointing out that Gore got more votes is all. The election wasn't stolen because of the electoral college; it was because the way the Florida recount was handled and also the supreme court vote (which was loaded with republicans).

And no point arguing about that any longer. Really the truth doesn't matter as much as the political reality that the majority of democrats will believe that election was stolen for the rest of their voting lives. And revenge is in the air.

Edited by Jingthing

Well something you will not hear much of and specially the media or investment advisors

that have an agenda. The U.S. savings rate is higher than that of Germany, Japan, France and Italy.

This is of course if you Take into consideration money put into pension plans, 401K's, Mutual fund and stocks, and housing assets. 70% of americans own stock market investments but the only thing you hear is about credit. It can be wise to buy and borrow with low interest rates as long as it is well thought out.

Debt to GDP is down 1.7% at present, of course not all is rosy as with future expenditures such

as medicare and social security.

Japan: Canary in Global Financial Coal Mine?

Japan to escape censure over weak yen

By David Pilling in Tokyo, Krishna Guha in Washington and Ralph Atkins in Frankfurt

Published: February 2 2007

Divisions between the world’s leading economies about coping with the rapidly weakening yen look set to prevent any concerted effort to stabilise the Japanese currency at this month’s Group of Seven finance ministers’ meeting in Germany.

But Japanese officials are braced for informal pressure over the depreciating yen at the Essen meeting, even if it is not raised in the final communiqué or discussed formally.

Tokyo’s nerves have been jangled by expressions of concern from senior officials in the US and Europe as the yen has hit 20-year lows in real terms against other major currencies.

It plumbed a record low of Y158.60 to the euro last week and fell to Y122.19 against the dollar, though it was trading at Y120.70 in Tokyo on Thursday.

Hank Paulson, US treasury secretary, told Congress on Wednesday that he was watching “very, very closely”. In Europe, Jean-Claude Juncker, Luxembourg’s prime minister, who chairs meetings of eurozone finance ministers, said this week that Japan’s recovery should be reflected in the yen’s exchange rate. These remarks were echoed by Thierry Breton, French finance minister.

But in spite of the heightened scrutiny, Hideto Fujii, Japan’s vice-finance minister, told a press conference in Tokyo on Thursday: “Our understanding is that the yen will not be discussed as a major topic at the G7 meeting.”

In part, this is reflects the fact that there are big differences between US and European policymakers over the causes of the yen’s weakness and what to do about it. This will probably protect the Japanese from any European effort to put the yen centre-stage in the G7 communiqué.

European central bankers are also distinctly less likely to back any clear statement on the Japanese currency in Essen than the region’s politicians. The European Central Bank has noticeably avoided any comment.

US attention is also more focused on China’s renminbi – over which there is greater pressure on the administration from Congress and public opinion.

Mr Paulson’s testimony this week showed that the US thinks yen weakness is driven by economic fundamentals – above all the prospects for Japanese interest rates – and market portfolio shifts, rather than any actual or implicit policy manipulation.

US officials also see little merit in seeking to challenge prices set by financial markets. Mr Paulson believes the days are long passed when seven finance ministers sitting in a room could decide what the value of a big, globally traded currency should be.

“The Americans are not interested [in pressuring Japan] because China is a bigger concern,” said Takatoshi Ito, a member of Japan’s council on fiscal and economic policy. “Europeans are frustrated because the yen/euro rate is way out of line. But it is not as though there are any big trade issues between Japan and Europe.”

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2007

I for one,still plan on retire in thailand. the baht to usd will not scare me off. 20 bht to the dollar, its not going to happen. :o

this misplaced confidence by Americans never ceases to amaze me ! :D many of them are completely oblivious

to the financial mess their country is in ??? :D

Or, more likely, since they actually LIVE there, they know how great things really are in the USA, as opposed to the ridiculously slanted drivel masquerading as news coverage that is peddled worldwide.

Yeah, I would say that people who live in the USA are far more likely to be well acquainted with how things are in the USA, as they do, actually, live there, work there, and have first-hand experience.

In fact, I have never lived in any country, anywhere where I have seen such unbelievable prosperity. If there has been a time on Earth, or a country or region that is richer than the USA is now, I don't recall seeing it in my studies of history. I'm not talking about a few golden elite amassing great fortunes. I am talking about the average guy on the street. It's a great place to live, and great time to be living.

It is so good that they should all return tomorrow. By the way, were there any school shoot-outs this week in the States or is it vacation time? certainly are richer than most - in b*ll*Hit

Well, there are richer countries. But I don't know of any richer BIG countries. 300 million people. Of course, a good portion live in poverty, and there is also hunger, homelessness, and lots of untreated disease. And alot of the high living is payed for in debt. So, some good, some bad. What else is new?

Edited by Jingthing

It is true Americans are maxed out and in debt as a people. However, there are a few pools of future wealth there though:

housing prices, if they recover again consumers will take out home equity loans to buy electronics and stuff

inheritances, an aging population, lots of oldies with big pots of coin

retirement accounts (IRAs, 401ks), hey if you really need that 100 inch screen plasma tv, why not rob the future to have a super bowl party NOW?

After all thats played out, I have no idea.

housing prices - another problem altogether ! it's all very well for housing prices to reach

the stratosphere but with an increasing number of young Americans unable to spell correctly,

or to perform simple maths ( not their fault by the way -inadequate funds for schools in USA ) how are they going to get

sufficiently well paid jobs to pay off mortgages on multimillion dollar homes ?

Well in many ways I hope you're right but I am also paying attention to the counter argument just in case :o

Well, there are richer countries. But I don't know of any richer BIG countries. 300 million people. Of course, a good portion live in poverty, and there is also hunger, homelessness, and lots of untreated disease. And alot of the high living is payed for in debt. So, some good, some bad. What else is new?

I have been reading your posts for some time and I've never seen a bigger load of unadulterated bullshit. "Of course, a good portion live in poverty, and there is also hunger, homelessness, and lots of untreated disease." Would you mind backing that up with statistics?

I notice that you are a Bill Richardson supporter. I happen to know him personally. I'll be glad to mention some of your nonsensical anti-American posts the next time I see him in Santa Fe.

I have been reading your posts for some time and I've never seen a bigger load of unadulterated bullshit. "Of course, a good portion live in poverty, and there is also hunger, homelessness, and lots of untreated disease." Would you mind backing that up with statistics?

I notice that you are a Bill Richardson supporter. I happen to know him personally. I'll be glad to mention some of your nonsensical anti-American posts the next time I see him in Santa Fe.

The preceeding posts aside, are you getting back to Santa Fe soon? I'm jealous, man. I went to St. John's College up on the hill '86-'90. Talk about a great place, man I miss the Bobcat Bite green chile cheeseburger! Chiang Mai reminds me a bit of Santa Fe from back then, just a little.

I do have to agree with one thing. I have never, also seen a society where so many people are debt-drunk and so utterly hypnotized by easy credit. I rarely ever meet anyone who actually OWNS what they drive or live in. Prosperity is good. But so often, people take a bit of prosperity and turn it into a mountain of debt.

I sometimes wonder what the world would look like without money lending. Would we really see people driving 60,000 dollar SUVs while living in 30,000 dollar houses? I wonder.

The preceeding posts aside, are you getting back to Santa Fe soon? I'm jealous, man. I went to St. John's College up on the hill '86-'90. Talk about a great place, man I miss the Bobcat Bite green chile cheeseburger! Chiang Mai reminds me a bit of Santa Fe from back then, just a little.

Hola!!! I split my time between Bangkok and Santa Fe. Talk about a great life. St. John's is a great liberal arts college. And the Bobcat Bite is still there, serving up the thickest, juciest green chile cheeseburgers in the region...although the Owl Cafe down south of Socorro runs a close second. I'll be back in Santa Fe in early May. The reports from home indicate that this year we have had record snowfall. I bet the skiing in Taos is just incredible.

Hello, I am glad you know Governor Bill Richardson. He appears to me to be a very good man, very amiable, very sane, with a the proper administrative and foreign policy experience to make a great president. He is polling now at 2 percent, but is very well positioned to surge forward once he is known better in the early primaries. I am so very not anti-American, my friend. Are you asserting that it is not true that 50 million Americans do not have health insurance? That there aren't millions (over 30 million) Americans living in poverty? That there are not tens of thousands of homeless people in our great cities? What are you smoking? Great democratic politicians have always acknowledged our national problems and worked on solutions, not denied their existence.

Since you know this man personally (I don't), perhaps you can share your impressions of him.

It occurred to me that maybe you consider my statement that the US isn't the richest country in the world to be false or anti-American. The US is NUMBER EIGHT in per capita GDP. Clearly the top LARGE COUNTRY. So here is the proof, amigo:

Rank Country GDP ($)

per capita

1 Luxembourg 80,288

2 Norway 64,193

3 Iceland 52,764

4 Switzerland 50,532

5 Ireland 48,604

6 Denmark 47,984

7 Qatar 43,110

8 United States 42,000

9 Sweden 39,694

10 Netherlands 38,618

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...nal)_per_capita

Edited by Jingthing

I appreciate that this may not apply to the poster individually but frankly the American population voted for george bush, they they unbelievably re-elected him (apparently, inter alia, on the basis of 'moral values'). They know his approach to economics and penchant for spending huge amounts of dollars on wars opposed by most of the world's population. Americans are now reaping the benefits of who they chose as their president and the person they should be complaining about is (a) him and (:o them for reelecting him. If American's suffer for their choices (rather than just Iraqi's, Afghanis, etc.) then I for one am not going to lose a great deal of sleep over it.

Lucky

1Lucky, well, a good portion of Bush's opposition party will always believe that his first election was stolen. And Al Gore did receive a majority of the votes. Also consider, Bush first ran on a fiscally conservative anti-nation building agenda (he lied).

As far as the second election, I agree there is no excuse except for the Twinkie defense (too many Americans eat chemically foods and their brains are damaged). However, slow as the American people can be, they now have caught on big time, and Bush enjoys some of the lowest approval ratings in American history. But we are still stuck with him? Why? Because, the US system has no "no confidence" option to unseat a disastrous leader. I don't think Americans, pro Bush or not, really expect sympathy from other countries for the fruits of their follies. So sweet dreams!

Twinkies, popular American mal-food, shelf life over 1000 years

160_twinkies4_050428.jpg

for the original election the population could possibly be forgiven - yes it was close run, yes there may have been some ignorance of what was to come and yes it was a function of the american political system and the electoral college. what is unforgivable is the relection - presumably by then the americans had realised that Bush was a warmonger and seemed unable to show proper care for the future of the planet or the 1000s dying in his pointless and unsuccessful wars. Presumably they also were not blind to the amount his wars were all costing. The American's also presumably knew that there was no no confidence vote system (other than impeachment) so should have taken this into account in voting. I think the twinkie defence is understated - pure ignorance seems more accurate and now its population are beginning to reap the 'rewards' of that re-election - both good and bad citizens. I'm glad they don't expect sympathy - it would be interesting to know how aware the average american living in the states is aware of the widespread international distaste (and often hatred for america) - can you give us any insight into that?

I also found it hilarious to hear documentaries after the re-election explaining that Bush had won it on the basis of moral values - presumably anti-abortion, etc. American 'moral values' seem to be a curious affair - killing 1000's okay - lets reelection him, an affair with a whitehouse intern - an abomination and attempted impeachment.

Ummmm, the votes the American public make don't actually decide who wins the presidency. I suggest you do some reading on something called the electoral college. :o

I'm sure you're very intelligent and appreciate that how the electoral college votes is determined by how the american public vote in each particular state. so in truth the american public do decide who wins the presidency. In very close elections because of the way the electoral college works this system can skew the result so that the person with the most votes (by the public) may not actually win the election. for George Bush's reelection this was not the case and it was his relection that was the most shocking action by the american public so frankly your point is both irrelevant and misleading. In any event, even if it had been relevant - who put together the american constitution? The american people. And who has the power to change it? The american people via the very stringent provisions of the american constitution. So if the electoral college system is at fault frankly the american people should have campaigned to put it right long ago - its been around long enough.

For citizens of this country to then bleat about how unfair it is that their dollar is falling in value is a bit rich frankly. If they as a people could put an end to the masssive amounts being spent on their senseless wars they may see the dollar strengthen. What have the American's on this board been doing to put an end to the wars?

1Lucky, I agree the 2004 reelection of Bush is a mark of shame in American political history. There is no good excuse, but there are reasons it happened. It was closer than it seemed. It came down to Ohio where there were lots of voting irregularities in the black districts (which always vote over 90 percent for the democrat).

Analysts say the main reasons Bush won were the politics of FEAR, watch out for the Arab boogeyman, and FEAR, watch out for the Gay boogeymen who want to MARRY each other. The social issue that had the most traction was anti-gay politics. Always a handy game for the right wingers.

The average American doesn't have a passport and isn't very aware of international anti-Americanism or how Bush has increased that ill feeling tenfold. That doesn't make them all bad, just a bit slow and not intellectually curious (like Bush).

I can't present any good excuse for the 2004 election. However, the 2006 election definitely shows we are turning the page. Stay tuned ...

Edited by Jingthing

If the dollar continues to weaken it will become much cheaper for me to live in Thailand. My income is entirely in dollars which I convert into baht to live here. The last 5 years I've averaged 3 million baht per year spent toward various condos and 500,000 baht per year on automobiles. Now that the exchange rate is less favorable it makes things seem like a relatively poor bargain. As a result, I probably won't buy much, enjoy a bit less materialistic life, and bank an enormous sum of money in America. Come to think of it, why do I want the dollar to strengthen? It'll only cost me a fortune!

So if the electoral college system is at fault frankly the american people should have campaigned to put it right long ago - its been around long enough.
For citizens of this country to then bleat about how unfair it is that their dollar is falling in value is a bit rich frankly.

The electoral college issue is complex. It was brilliant in the earlier rural days of American history. Now, it forces candidates to pay attention to SMALLER and RURAL STATES, and because of this, it just will not be dropped. To change it means changing the constitution and getting the support of those same SMALLER STATES. Not going to happen. I think Gore was only the second time that the winner of the popular vote lost the election. Anytime that happens it is going to be a painful time, but it has been very rare.

As far as the weakening dollar being UNFAIR, I don't think you are talking about me. I don't think it is unfair. I just want Americans to talk about it, try to understand why it is happening, and figure out what can be done if anything personally and/or politically.

Edited by Jingthing

Ummmm, the votes the American public make don't actually decide who wins the presidency. I suggest you do some reading on something called the electoral college. :o

I'm sure you're very intelligent and appreciate that how the electoral college votes is determined by how the american public vote in each particular state. so in truth the american public do decide who wins the presidency. In very close elections because of the way the electoral college works this system can skew the result so that the person with the most votes (by the public) may not actually win the election. for George Bush's reelection this was not the case and it was his relection that was the most shocking action by the american public so frankly your point is both irrelevant and misleading. In any event, even if it had been relevant - who put together the american constitution? The american people. And who has the power to change it? The american people via the very stringent provisions of the american constitution. So if the electoral college system is at fault frankly the american people should have campaigned to put it right long ago - its been around long enough.

For citizens of this country to then bleat about how unfair it is that their dollar is falling in value is a bit rich frankly. If they as a people could put an end to the masssive amounts being spent on their senseless wars they may see the dollar strengthen. What have the American's on this board been doing to put an end to the wars?

Are you kidding me? You think the American people actually have the power to do anything? I can't begin to explain all of this to you for it would take forever.

Also, as an American myself, I am not bleating or complaining about the falling dollar. I support it.

So if the electoral college system is at fault frankly the american people should have campaigned to put it right long ago - its been around long enough.
For citizens of this country to then bleat about how unfair it is that their dollar is falling in value is a bit rich frankly.
The electoral college issue is complex. It was brilliant in the earlier rural days of American history. Now, it forces candidates to pay attention to SMALLER and RURAL STATES, and because of this, it just will not be dropped. To change it means changing the constitution and getting the support of those same SMALLER STATES. Not going to happen. I think Gore was only the second time that the winner of the popular vote lost the election. Anytime that happens it is going to be a painful time, but it has been very rare.

As far as the weakening dollar being UNFAIR, I don't think you are talking about me. I don't think it is unfair. I just want Americans to talk about it, try to understand why it is happening, and figure out what can be done if anything personally and/or politically.

The electoral college is from the same theory that allows North Dakota and South Dakota the same amout of Senators that New York, California, and other large pop. states, giving them out-sized influence relative to population in the Senate.

Sounds a little abstruse and tertiary, but the only way to really affect the outsourcing of jobs and tax breaks and loopholes for corporations is to publicly fund elections, the old McCain-Feingold bill, but one that works. As long as most nationally-elected officials get their war-chests from special interest PACs and deep-pocketed industry, they will continue to vote in the best interests of those particular "constituents".

I guess there is so many homeless they can choose to have illegal immigrants do the work they don't want. The old work for Food people, offer them a job and your likely to get punched but they will gladly

accept cash. The right to choose is theirs though, and the U.S. probably have the most under 50 scammers living off some frivelous insuranace or government hand out, many in underdeveloped countries. They don't even spend their money where they scam and fit in well in such societies where it is the norm which you can imagine where that is.

Underachievers do have the right to have their voice as seen in many countries publications such as

Thailand. It is not what your country can do for you, what can you do for your country.

Then of course you can take up residence in a place where you will never be anything but a guest

as long as they will put up with you. Out of the pan into the fire arghh and cry some more adolecent

war calls. For each their own and I guess living in a land that will not tolerate the poor and street beggars from other countries is ok for you as long as it is your choice.

The land where minimum wage and no rights is the norm

Why not take yourself to Africa where you can live under what ever system you make for one self.

I'd rather go hunting with Dick Chenney than take a ride with Ted Kennedy.

Put that in your academically correct low income life.

If the dollar continues to weaken it will become much cheaper for me to live in Thailand. My income is entirely in dollars which I convert into baht to live here. The last 5 years I've averaged 3 million baht per year spent toward various condos and 500,000 baht per year on automobiles. Now that the exchange rate is less favorable it makes things seem like a relatively poor bargain. As a result, I probably won't buy much, enjoy a bit less materialistic life, and bank an enormous sum of money in America. Come to think of it, why do I want the dollar to strengthen? It'll only cost me a fortune!

Wow nice to hear someone with a plan and not a comment it is all someone elses fault they may have

to live on a smaller income from currency situations. For years the dollar was around 25 to 1.

Crap happens, move on with life and make your own breaks and life better.

How many Thais are living in foreign countries from their home land income.

Do you hear the thais crying their whinney little heads off they cannot live in a foreign country

with 10 times the earnings as the average local.

Hello, I am glad you know Governor Bill Richardson. He appears to me to be a very good man, very amiable, very sane, with a the proper administrative and foreign policy experience to make a great president. He is polling now at 2 percent, but is very well positioned to surge forward once he is known better in the early primaries. I am so very not anti-American, my friend. Are you asserting that it is not true that 50 million Americans do not have health insurance? That there aren't millions (over 30 million) Americans living in poverty? That there are not tens of thousands of homeless people in our great cities? What are you smoking? Great democratic politicians have always acknowledged our national problems and worked on solutions, not denied their existence.

Since you know this man personally (I don't), perhaps you can share your impressions of him.

It occurred to me that maybe you consider my statement that the US isn't the richest country in the world to be false or anti-American. The US is NUMBER EIGHT in per capita GDP. Clearly the top LARGE COUNTRY. So here is the proof, amigo:

Rank Country GDP ($)

per capita

1 Luxembourg 80,288

2 Norway 64,193

3 Iceland 52,764

4 Switzerland 50,532

5 Ireland 48,604

6 Denmark 47,984

7 Qatar 43,110

8 United States 42,000

9 Sweden 39,694

10 Netherlands 38,618

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...nal)_per_capita

Thank you for your response, Jingthing. I wasn't questioning that there are other countries that are richer on a per capita basis than the United States. It was your statement "Of course, a good portion live in poverty..." etc. that I question. Where is your proof that a good portion of American citizens live in poverty. Is there homelessness. Of course. Is there hunger? Of course. But I feel you are misleading the readers of TV when you seem to imply that it is widespread. There is homelessness and hunger in every country. Perhaps you know the percentage of Americans who live in these conditions? I'm sure all of us would be very interested in these statistics, so we can draw the proper conclusions to your remarks. (HINT: Check the U.S. Census for some of these answers.)

Now about Bill Richardson, let me say he is an exceptionally bright individual, whose outstanding qualities are his ability to listen and his ability to communicate. He is very goal oriented and he expects all of his subordinates to follow his lead in working together in achieving his goals. He can be ruthless to political opponents or people who he feels have crossed him at some time in the past. He is a self-made man who came from common roots in California and through hard work and a driving ambition, has achieved great success both as a politician and as a statesman. On a personal side, he likes a good cigar and single malt scotch. He's good company, a man's man and has a good sense of humor. I think he is an excellent candidate to be President but he is facing an uphill challenge to be nominated because he is not well known to the majority of the American electorate. I have contributed to his campaigns in the past and I certainly will contribute to his Presidential campaign as it gets underway.

Hasta la vista, amigo.