Half thai 22yo seeking Thai citizenship

Hey guys! The names Dan.  I am a 22 year old, Canadian-born, half Thai male and I have been living in the Northern Ireland (UK) for the last 20 years.  I have Canadian and British passports, and I am already applying for Irish citizenship.  I have been learning the Thai language religiously for the last 3.5 years and have got more in touch with my Thai side and my family. I now visit Thailand every year for over a month.   I was wishing to apply for Thai citizenship because I hate applying for 2 month visas all the time. 

How would I go around applying for Thai citizenship? 

Is there a way that I can obtain citizenship without losing my other citizenships? 

I have also heard that I could dodge the Thai army lottery by applying after 30 years old?  

I appreciate the help guys! Thanks, Dan

You already have Thai citizenship from birth.

You only need proof of it.

Do you have a Thai birth certificate?

Where were you born? If outside Thailand your birth will have to be registered at the Thai embassy where you born?

56 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You already have Thai citizenship from birth.

You only need proof of it.

Do you have a Thai birth certificate?

Where were you born? If outside Thailand your birth will have to be registered at the Thai embassy where you born?

I don't have one.  I was born in Toronto, Canada. Will I have to get the thai birth certficate registered in canada or can I just get it done in the UK, where I currently live?

6 minutes ago, Vandanny1 said:

I don't have one.  I was born in Toronto, Canada. Will I have to get the thai birth certficate registered in canada or can I just get it done in the UK, where I currently live?

It has to be issued at the embassy in the country you were born. In you case it would be the embassy in Ottawa.

It is possible to submit the application at the Department of Consular Affairs in Bangkok who will then send it to Ottawa.

You could ask at the embassy in London to find out if they will assist by accepting the application and sending it to Ottawa.

Info about the application is here in Thai on the Ottawa embassy website. http://www.thaiembassy.ca/th/info-consular-matters-thai-citizens/citizenship-registry/certificate-birth

From real experience this is how it works!

Your Thai parent should go to the Thai Embassy or consulate in your country of birth with you, to show their Thai ID and to confirm that you are Thai by descent.  

You should bring your original birth certificate clearly showing your Thai parent's name as in their Thai ID card of Passport as this is required. 

Copies of your Thai parent's Thai ID card, Thai house registration and Thai passport will be required!

From experience, being in London is going to complicate your application process.

Its never easy and its never quick to acquire the nationality of any country by descent, as the issuing government will wish to confirm that the info you give is true and that you do indeed qualify.

• Thanks 1

You have British and Canadian passports  already and are applying for the Irish.

Now you also want the Thai.

I can't escape the idea that might not be a good idea, it might be possible you have to give up the others.

9 hours ago, Badbanker said:

From real experience this is how it works!

Your Thai parent should go to the Thai Embassy or consulate in your country of birth with you, to show their Thai ID and to confirm that you are Thai by descent.  

You should bring your original birth certificate clearly showing your Thai parent's name as in their Thai ID card of Passport as this is required. 

Copies of your Thai parent's Thai ID card, Thai house registration and Thai passport will be required!

From experience, being in London is going to complicate your application process.

Its never easy and its never quick to acquire the nationality of any country by descent, as the issuing government will wish to confirm that the info you give is true and that you do indeed qualify.

That sounds good! Was there any mention of you having to give up other nationalities for the thai one? And also about the army lottery, is it true the army dont force you to do it after 30 years of age?

From experience with friends who have gained Thai nationality, they give you back your passport or send it to your embassy!   

There is no requirement for someone acquiring Thai nationality to give up any other nationality, as there is no requirement for a Thai person having acquired another nationality to give up their Thai nationality.  

Yeah the big one for my son and for every Thai man is, if your son will be drafted at the age of 20.  There are options to avoid this and they are well known to most people.

I believe the army doesn't want you to be drafted if you are more than 30 years old?

• Like 1