Wine cask prices...

Lucky mike

2 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Just a cash cow for the Gov.They are well aware that foreigners are the primary buyers so who better to target ?

If they put the money into creating a "real wine" industry which would be very labour intensive and create jobs that might be an 'excuse' but its just a cash grab.

I have a friend back in Australia, who being in the wine industry his whole life, was very keen to do a joint venture with a Thai company to produce a moderately priced quality wine ,after 12 mths of not even getting to first base he gave up.He was told by those he spoke to "we know what we are doing ? ....really ????

Of COURSE they know what they're doing.    They have decades of experience doing it!

Edited by watcharacters
  • Like 1

I'm sure I read recently that the Thai government has started taxing wine according to the volume of the container.

This would of course mean that box wines would increase in price much more, relative to bottles.

?

The price has risen because the cask wine producers were exploiting a loophole in the law that taxed 'fruit wines' lower than regular wines. So by adding fruit ( or possibly just sticking a label on the bottle saying 'fruit wine') they paid less duty and so could charged less. our puritanical military dictators just closed that loophole meaning all wine is now taxed at the punitive rate of 450% which is scandalous.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, millwall_fan said:

The price has risen because the cask wine producers were exploiting a loophole in the law that taxed 'fruit wines' lower than regular wines. So by adding fruit ( or possibly just sticking a label on the bottle saying 'fruit wine') they paid less duty and so could charged less. our puritanical military dictators just closed that loophole meaning all wine is now taxed at the punitive rate of 450% which is scandalous.

Now, that will teach us wine drinkers to learn to appreciate the local "lao" shop.

Wonder whether it is legal to make wine for home consumption ?
Anyone knows the official rules on that ?

21 minutes ago, KKr said:

Now, that will teach us wine drinkers to learn to appreciate the local "lao" shop.

Wonder whether it is legal to make wine for home consumption ?
Anyone knows the official rules on that ?

It is illegal to make your own alcohol in Thailand, 200baht fine if caught brewing for your own consumption, but jail if you sell it.

I have pm you with a useful link with all the info.

• Thanks 1