IELTS A1 or B!

Im planning on making a UK settlement application for my Thai wife later this year and feel now is the time to get some things in order.

I have a few questions.   

Should i get my wife to try a B1 or A1 test.?   She speaks better than average english and we have been married nearly 10 years.

I believe the test is valid for 2 years and i wonder how much harder the B1 test  is over the A1. We have looked online and B1 seems reasonably 

simple but has anyone had any experience of the B1 test, good or bad?  It seems if we do the B1 it makes life easier in the UK .

Also how long after the TB test is taken is the result valid for?

Many Thanks in advance.

Will she be doing the test in Thailand? If in Thailand, the IELTS Life Skills B1 is harder than A1, but not too hard if her level of English is good.  She will have to talk on a topic for about a minute, answer 3 Listening questions and plan and discuss something with a partner.  A1 is just answering easy questions, a simple Listening and a short discussion.

I believe that the result can be used for more than 2 years, but someone else may know differently.

My wife took the Trinity B1 test in the UK for her FLR application and found it quite easy.  Only takes 10 minutes and their is no interaction with a partner.  Their is more choice in the UK I think. If you use the language test result for an application then it is valid for all further applications.  So a language test result obtained for Settlement can be used for FLR and ILR even if over 2 years as it obviously would be.

My wife took the Trinity B1 test in the UK for her FLR application and found it quite easy.  Only takes 10 minutes and their is no interaction with a partner.  Their is more choice in the UK I think. If you use the language test result for an application then it is valid for all further applications.  So a language test result obtained for Settlement can be used for FLR and ILR even if over 2 years as it obviously would be.
Yes in the UK you can choose between Trinity or IELTS Life Skills. In Bangkok only Life Skills is available.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 hours ago, daveyravey said:

I believe the test is valid for 2 years

The test must be first used for an application within two years of passing, but as bigyin says, once used for a successful application it can be used again for any and all subsequent ones; provided it is of the right level, of course.

The minimum required levels are:

• initial application, A1
  • FLR, A2
  • ILR, B1.

B1 is also required for naturalisation as British and, again,  if previously used for a successful leave to enter or leave to remain application the same pass can be used for this.

i wonder how much harder the B1 test  is over the A1. We have looked online and B1 seems reasonably 

simple

This British Council page gives a simple guide to the different levels, with links to more detailed information for each.

From B1 English level

SKILLS AT LEVEL B1

One of the questions you might ask yourself when you read this information is, what language competences characterise a person who can prove they have a level B1 in English? The CEFRL specifies the following:

• Is able to understand the main points of clear texts in standard language if they are about topics with which they are familiar, whether in work, study or leisure contexts.
  • Can cope with most of the situations that might arise on a trip to areas where the language is used.
  • Is able to produce simple, coherent texts about topics with which they are familiar or in which they have a personal interest.
  • Can describe experiences, events, wishes and aspirations, as well as briefly justifying opinions or explaining plans.

Ignore the parts about understanding and producing text. For LTE and LTR purposes, only speaking and listening are required.

If your wife feels confident; go for it!

Also how long after the TB test is taken is the result valid for?

Six months.