Mae Sot Border

Hey all,

I'm needing to do my first and last visa run - whilst my work permit gets sorted - by the 16th of this month. Currently living in Phitsanulok and wanting to go to the Mae Sot border between Thailand and Myanmar.

Anyone been there recently who can confirm that it's open? All the forum posts on the topic are from mid-2017!

Thanks!

Edited by Jamie A

4 hours ago, Jdietz said:

Only if you have a multiple entry visa already, can't get a 30 day exemption there.

That has changed as far as I know since they are now limited to 2 per calendar year. There have been reports of visa exempt entries being allowed now.

Last time I checked you couldn't leave unless you had a valid visa, as you can't (or couldn't, things are fluid) get much further than Myawaddy.

But yeah if anyone has more recent info, would be great.

2 hours ago, Jdietz said:

Last time I checked you couldn't leave unless you had a valid visa, as you can't (or couldn't, things are fluid) get much further than Myawaddy.

In August last year, although I did not need one myself, I am pretty sure they were allowing border bounces for visa exempt entries. As @ubonjoe stated, pretty almost all (exception Poi Pet/Aran) border crossings will now allow visa exempt entries, subject to the 2-per-calendar-year limitation.

4 hours ago, Jdietz said:

I would still have a valid visitors visa and would get a visa upon arrival (my passport allows this) for Myanmar when crossing through.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

In August last year, although I did not need one myself, I am pretty sure they were allowing border bounces for visa exempt entries. As @ubonjoe stated, pretty almost all (exception Poi Pet/Aran) border crossings will now allow visa exempt entries, subject to the 2-per-calendar-year limitation.

Thanks for this! My first and only land crossing so hoping all should be fine ?

Passed through there on 2nd visa exempt stamp in march..easy as pie..very little cue , burmese immigration wanted $20 crisp dollar for quick exit back across to thailand.No questions or issues and back to chiang mai

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jamie A said:

Thanks for this! My first and only land crossing so hoping all should be fine ?

I’ve done that crossing at Mae Sot many times over the last 4 years on my 6 mth multi entry visa,is smooth and will take about 45 min stamp out of Thailand walk  over 800 metre bridge pay 500 baht stamp passport walk back over bridge stamp back into Thailand in all never taken more than 45 mins.Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1