Mainboard failure while in hands of service centre - who is responsible?

JungleBiker

Is this of any use

Also 

MB - 400 - 550 Canadian + Taxes

Key board - 200

Battery - 130 

How did you know they didn't replace the battery - as there are only a 2015 / 2017 Macbook model with the battery inside (you would of had to open it up )

Retina MacBook 2015 Battery Replacement

Written By: Jeff Suovanen

• Comments: 5
  •  
  •  Favorites: 0
Retina MacBook 2015 Battery Replacement

Difficulty

Difficult

Steps

Time Required

2 - 3 hours

Flags

Introduction

Use this guide to remove and replace the glued-in battery from your 12-inch MacBook with Retina Display. This is best done with the help of an iFixit battery replacement kit; the liquid adhesive remover in your kit will dissolve the adhesive securing the battery, allowing you to remove it with ease.

iFixit adhesive remover is flammable. Perform this procedure in a well-ventilated area. Do not smoke or work near an open flame during this procedure.

For your safety, drain your MacBook Pro's battery before you begin this procedure. A charged lithium-ion battery can create a dangerous and uncontrollable fire if accidentally punctured.

The MacBook's battery contacts are located under the logic board, and this guide recommends removing the logic board completely for battery replacement. While it's possible to remove the logic board screws and simply tip the board up slightly to remove the battery, it's very difficult to install a new battery correctly with the logic board still in place.

Note: The solvent used to dissolve the battery adhesive can damage and/or discolor certain plastics. Take care where you apply the solvent.

To avoid logic board damage, when your MacBook repair is complete but before powering it on, connect it to low-voltage power using a 5-Watt iPhone charger and a USB-C to USB-A cable. These accessories are not included with your MacBook, so make sure you have them ready before you begin.

Tools

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BEVUP said:

How did you know they didn't replace the battery - as there are only a 2015 / 2017 Macbook model with the battery inside (you would of had to open it up )

1. The battery ran out of juice very quickly, just like it did before I took it in for the battery swap. There's a noticably difference between a battery life of less than 1 hour and a life of 10 hours. 

2. Click on the Apple logo in the top left corner. Then click on "About This Mac". Click on "System Report". Click on "Power". And there you will see "Battery Health Information" including the number of times the battery has been charged and the battery's condition (e.g. Normal, or time to get a new one).  The Health information revealed that I still had the old battery. 

The instructions you provided about how to change a battery strengthen my suspicion that the technician made a mistake and damaged the mainboard (logicboard). And I am being asked to pay for his mistake.  

Regarding the Canadian prices, I assume import duties may be a factor. Since I don't live in Canada, I'm more curious to know if other authorized Apple dealers/service centres in Thailand charge the sames prices that I am being charged? I assume they do but perhaps they don't.  

6 hours ago, BEVUP said:

PS

Also in the 2015/16 models there was a fault with the key boards that Apple would of repaired if still under Warranty, & if not it was up to the buyer to fix at own cost 

Yes, I had a chance to have my keyboard changed under warranty but I did not find it worth the hassle.