ACH transfer from US Bank to Bangkok Bank

I tired to initiate a deposit verification (for interbank ACH transfer) from my US Ally bank and citi bank account to Bangkok Bank savings account. Ally bank and citi bank both informed me they Bangkok bank rejected deposit verification. I used the routing number Bangkok bank new York number 026008691 and my savings account number. What could be going wrong? 

18 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

you have to get the deposit verification amounts from your Bangkok Bank here in Thailand in the actual US cents not baht

Agreed. But CIti and ally both the bank sent me emails that Bangkok bank rejected trial verification deposit. 

You may be experiencing the same problem the TV member at this recent thread experienced.  Something about his U.S. bank not using the International ACH Transfer (IAT) format.    

Now you will also see in the thread a couple of other TV members (one of them was me) did successful ACH transfers from ibanking transfer links they already had setup.   But there just may be something to ACH Trial Deposit rejecting when trying to setup the link.

There is a possibility setting up an ACH transfer link on your U.S. ibanking with Bangkok Bank may be in for some significant changes.  Or possibly even current, established links.

When  you read the above thread started by bhatmasterson regarding his US bank and what onera1961 has just experienced with his two US banks in trying to setup an ACH transfer link you will see Bangkok Bank sent a reject notice to the US banks of these TV members when trying to setup a new transfer link in their ibanking. 

In bhatmasterson's thread you see talk of Bangkok Bank saying his reject was related to his US bank's non-use of the International ACH Transfer (IAT) format.  Apparently a change Bangkok Bank recently adopted in order to accept ACH transfers.   

I notice when going to the Bangkok Bank webpage where it use to give detailed instructions on how to setup an ACH transfer link on your US ibanking, those detailed instructions have been replaced by below.   And when it comes to where it says, "Funds Transfer Services will be available soon..." I sure hope "soon" is not in Thai time and/or the future Bangkok Bank guidance will be along the lines of IAT format must be used by your US bank....contact your US bank for more info.  

Link to Bangkok Bank webpage with ACH ibanking instructions

image.png.9150d900d69ac78b0ce8c9f6ba6ad9f6.png

The new transfer link I initiated late last week with one of my U.S. banks to Bangkok Bank using the "Deposit Only (i.e., Send To Only)" setup successfully.   This is the method which does "not" use trial deposits.   

And since you can not successfully accomplished an ACH transfer to "pull" money from Bangkok Bank (it will be rejected by Bangkok Bank) this Deposit Only method is fine. 

Took 3 business days to setup which is really nothing more than a waiting period so the U.S. bank can send some emails to the account holder(s) saying a new transfer link has been initiated which will go active in 3 business days...it it wasn't you that setup it up then contact us ASAP.  Kinda like how you can get a SMS/text for banking transactions, credit card transactions, etc.  

Some banks only use the trial deposit method for Send & Receive transfers while other banks also offer another method which I described above.

FWIW, I happened to do a U.S. Bank to Bangkok Bank New York ACH transfer in the past couple days with a previously, long ago linked connection, and the transfer went thru fine and arrived in my BKK Bank account within a couple of days.

So, despite the vague language on the BKK Bank website about something perhaps not working at present, previously, already linked accounts seem to be fine for doing U.S. to Thailand transfers via BKK Bank New York.

Whether the setup is working right now for new account linking with BKK Bank NY, that I can't speak to.

That makes three of us "with already established transfer links"...NancyL, you and me....all did successful transfers over the last few weeks.

But after two folks in this and a related TV thread posted that had tried from three of their U.S. banks (Citi, Alley, and Broadway Federal) to setup new transfer links "using the trial deposit method" combined Bangkok Bank's reply to one of those individuals in the other thread talking International ACH Transfer (IAT) format now required along with how Bangkok Bank has updated the transfer wording on its webpage indicates some change is afoot that definitely seems to affecting setup of new transfer links that use trial deposits.   No effect on transfers from established transfer ACH links "so far"....hope it stays that way. 

Before are some cut and pastes from Bangkok Bank's website regarding funds transfer service such as U.S. ibanking ACH transfers and UK ibanking BACS transfers.   What use to be extensive, detailed info is now just a vague statement....says please contact them for more info.  I have emailed twice over the last week asking for the info....zero replies so far....not really surprised.  Guess time will tell.

Cut and paste regarding transfer via New York branch using ACH

image.png.6916c7093dd6ed217947412a0460dbee.png  

Cut and paste regarding transfer via London branch using BACS

image.png.e1385d1137340e3baef9e9a42497c540.png

Below is the type of response from Bangkok Bank regarding "Advice for senders using US bank internet services" like when trying to set up a ibanking transfer link using the "trial deposits method." 

Please note there is apparently no change (at least yet) in US govt benefit payments using Direct Deposit like social security or military retirement pensions since those are handled differently...I only say this because the wording on the Bangkok Bank webpage regarding such has not changed like how the wording changed for transfers from a person's ibanking.  

With our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experience with respect to Transfer money from USA to Thailand via the US Automated Clearing House system (US ACH) and Bangkok Bank's New York branch.

Recently, NACHA updated the Operating Rules to reflect of cross-border transfers, required foreign payments to be classified with the International ACH Transactions (IAT designation), the payment using US ACH or via Bangkok Bank New York to Bangkok Bank in Thailand involving a financial agency’s office that is not located in the territorial jurisdiction of the United States, the file would be required to be formatted as an IAT transaction. You will no longer transferring funds from US Bank to Bangkok bank account in Thailand using ACH domestic method. 

However, to remit funds to your Bangkok Bank’s account in Thailand via Bangkok Bank, New York, you must inform the sending’s Bank in US to originated the funds using IAT Standard Format to Bangkok Bank, New York in their payment instruction which requires the name, account number and full address and country of the receiver in Thailand.  Otherwise, the initiate funds transferring from US Bank to Bangkok Bank’s account in Thailand though Bangkok Bank, NY will be automatically rejected. 

Please notes that US Bank may charges an International ACH Transactions (IAT), please check the relevant fees and charges from your bank in US. 

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can also contact our phone banking center at +66-2645-5555 (from the overseas) or 1333 (from within Thailand), a 24/7 service to acquire more information. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Web operations

11 hours ago, Pib said:

Below is the type of response from Bangkok Bank regarding "Advice for senders using US bank internet services" like when trying to set up a ibanking transfer link using the "trial deposits method." 

Please note there is apparently no change (at least yet) in US govt benefit payments using Direct Deposit like social security or military retirement pensions since those are handled differently...I only say this because the wording on the Bangkok Bank webpage regarding such has not changed like how the wording changed for transfers from a person's ibanking.  

With our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experience with respect to Transfer money from USA to Thailand via the US Automated Clearing House system (US ACH) and Bangkok Bank's New York branch.

Recently, NACHA updated the Operating Rules to reflect of cross-border transfers, required foreign payments to be classified with the International ACH Transactions (IAT designation), the payment using US ACH or via Bangkok Bank New York to Bangkok Bank in Thailand involving a financial agency’s office that is not located in the territorial jurisdiction of the United States, the file would be required to be formatted as an IAT transaction. You will no longer transferring funds from US Bank to Bangkok bank account in Thailand using ACH domestic method. 

However, to remit funds to your Bangkok Bank’s account in Thailand via Bangkok Bank, New York, you must inform the sending’s Bank in US to originated the funds using IAT Standard Format to Bangkok Bank, New York in their payment instruction which requires the name, account number and full address and country of the receiver in Thailand.  Otherwise, the initiate funds transferring from US Bank to Bangkok Bank’s account in Thailand though Bangkok Bank, NY will be automatically rejected. 

Please notes that US Bank may charges an International ACH Transactions (IAT), please check the relevant fees and charges from your bank in US. 

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can also contact our phone banking center at +66-2645-5555 (from the overseas) or 1333 (from within Thailand), a 24/7 service to acquire more information. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Web operations

Pib, where and when did that text you quote above come from?

They have the language about non compliant transfers being rejected. But obviously, as noted, above, I did one via an established link from New York to Thailand with the traditional domestic ACH method just within the past two weeks and it went thru fine.

On 6/12/2018 at 8:07 AM, Pib said:

he new transfer link I initiated late last week with one of my U.S. banks to Bangkok Bank using the "Deposit Only (i.e., Send To Only)" setup successfully.   This is the method which does "not" use trial deposits.

How did you set up this new transfer links and with which US bank?

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

How did you set up this new transfer links and with which US bank?

Below post in a very similar thread should answer your question.  The bank is USAA.  But many banks offer such an option....and many don't.   Some banks only offer the trial deposits method....some only offer the non-trial deposit method...and some offer both.

• 3 months later...

Archived