Most Thais Think Economy Bad, Getting Worse

webfact

1 minute ago, KiwiKiwi said:

lol. You're a fair bit ahead of me. I only just concluded the same about this pair. Took me a few posts but I'm there now.

Right, so you dodge the discussion and resort to name calling. 

I thought you were done with the thread? 

2 minutes ago, mogandave said:

What was the average price of a condo 10 years ago, and what is the average price today?

And especially what was the exchange rate between ruble and baht then and what is it now?

The Russians didn't stop buying because of the local prices but because of their sudden loss of purchasing power...

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Splendid..

Oh..and here comes Simoh 1400..a kind of orchestrated dance..

If you can't even get the posters name right, what hope is there that you should be trusted to comment on more complex issues such as the economy!

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yeah..you have kinda just read between the lines.They will be on to me with a vengeance now.

By the way-one of them claimed that there was no air pollution in the city of smog (Chiang Mai) a few months ago.

Almost time for you to get the discussion shut down isn't it? 

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yeah..you have kinda just read between the lines.They will be on to me with a vengeance now.

By the way-one of them claimed that there was no air pollution in the city of smog (Chiang Mai) a few months ago.

Is low IQ catching?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

And especially what was the exchange rate between ruble and baht then and what is it now?

The Russians didn't stop buying because of the local prices but because of their sudden loss of purchasing power...

The Brits lost purchasing power re the Thai baht.  The Russians lost purchasing power re the Thai baht.  The Americans lost purchasing power re the Thai baht.  Thai economy is strong and the poor Brits and Russians and Americans left.  That is the point of this thread.  The Thai economy is fine and the poor expats who got pushed out are still whining about it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Is low IQ catching?

Naw..they have gotta flog something..

There they go. marching in step.

They know better than the silly Thai who are reporting that that the current financial scene is a total disaster.

Edited by Odysseus123

22 minutes ago, Media1 said:

Yes 

Well Doug, underestimating the Chinese cost 50 thousand American lives.  The Chinese are now in Thailand and more are coming daily.  I'd get used to them, cater to them or start passing anti Chinese laws again like in the 1930's.

2 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

The Brits lost purchasing power re the Thai baht.  The Russians lost purchasing power re the Thai baht.  The Americans lost purchasing power re the Thai baht.  Thai economy is strong and the poor Brits and Russians and Americans left.  That is the point of this thread.  The Thai economy is fine and the poor expats who got pushed out are still whining about it. 

Only the Russians lost 50% of their purchasing power almost overnight...

2 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

How dare you to attempt to keep the thread on track with relevant and pertinent posts.

1 minute ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Interesting you say that, it shows you are embarrassed at having them, but thanks for the 2nd confirmation. Over and out.

I would be embarrassed if I was an old guy with a new tattoo. 

13 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

If you don't know, just say you don't know.

7 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Only the Russians lost 50% of their purchasing power almost overnight...

No effect on the Thai economy which is the topic of this thread.  Brits were replaced by the Russians who were replaced with the Chinese.  It is foreign exchange which is all valuable to Thailand. 

3 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Hot money flowing in real estate in search of a safe haven has little to do with a country's economy.

Depending on the volume of money involved, it may influence the economy, but most generally only locally (Vancouver, London, or Bangkok and Pattaya in Thailand).

Such influx of hot money is not necessary a good thing for the concerned country.

First, it prices out the local population in its own real estate market.

Then, this money can leave the country as quickly as it arrived (the Russians in Thailand).

People who benefit from this booster have a tendency to be biased in their opinions for obvious reasons, in the same way that stock market traders, benefiting from the central banks largesses, become convinced that the market indexes reflect the reality and that they are "masters of the universe".

Seems reasonable enough. The thread needs some reason.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

No effect on the Thai economy which is the topic of this thread.  Brits were replaced by the Russians who were replaced with the Chinese.  It is foreign exchange which is all valuable to Thailand. 

The topic was that Thais think economic bad going worse. Those sentiments unswayed by the rosy government reports which you vigorously support and defended. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

The topic was that Thais think economic bad going worse. Those sentiments unswayed by the rosy government reports which you vigorously support and defended. 

It's odd. Something about these Pollyanna reports from the government seems off. I don't have the skills to put a finger on it, but they just don't gel very well with what I see and hear every day. To that extent I'm happy to rely on more knowledgeable people to provide me with their opinions - the raw material needed in order to form my own considered opinion.

The eternal Thai conundrum, stuff that gets in the papers but which makes little or no sense and doesn't match what comes in through the eyes and ears.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

The eternal Thai conundrum, stuff that gets in the papers but which makes little or no sense and doesn't match what comes in through the eyes and ears.

Did the article this thread is based on not make the news?

My two cents.

It's true that the economy goes better (from the available data), however:

- the effect of the lost GDP growth because of protests and coup in early junta years may have some long lasting effect. It's the same, for example, in Italy. Things get better but people have not finished enduring the effect of the past crisis.

- Thailand has a high share of informal economy and it is not certain that the official statistics reflect its evolution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, candide said:

My two cents.

It's true that the economy goes better (from the available data), however:

- the effect of the lost GDP growth because of protests and coup in early junta years may have some long lasting effect. It's the same, for example, in Italy. Things get better but people have not finished enduring the effect of the past crisis.

- Thailand has a high share of informal economy and it is not certain that the official statistics reflect its evolution.

One of the better and more relevant posts of the thread, a good observation.

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Walking around your neighborhood is an accepted form of economics. Looking around and noting the consumption, inequality, financing, employment are just an important than arcane reports. Reports may be useful but the devil are in the details. 

No, without economists, economics are just not possible.

It's all nothing but a coin toss.

5 minutes ago, mogandave said:

No, without economists, economics are just not possible.

It's all nothing but a coin toss.

Some economist will tell you that the glass is half full while others will say

half empty. Heard if this expression before? Kind of like coin toss.