KL, Penang, or exempt?

I have 2 SETV's in my passport, one from this year, one from last year. I have no visa exempt stamps from this year.

I'm in Malaysia, planning on travelling up overland into Thailand after a few months outside the kingdom. 

Penang everyone says is a no-go zone. How is KL? Or should I just go in visa-exempt? (I'm not planning on staying all that long this time, 60 days tops)

Kuala Lumpur used to be very bad, but reports over the last year or two suggest it has improved. If you apply there, you must complete their checklist. Assuming you satisfy all their requirements, I believe you will be OK there, and that is what I recommend. Kota Bharu (which you do not mention) could be another option. Avoid Penang! I personally suggest visa exempt entry by land being reserved for emergencies, but doubt you would have a problem if you really want to go that route.

Visa exempt. Never heard of anyone being denied entry with <90 days stay per year

This is how Thailand shoots itself in the foot, making people overcautious. Can only imagine how many people just decided to spend their cash elsewhere

• Like 2

Based on current reports, you can do 2 hassle-free Visa Exempt entries by land per year at any border-crossing except the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing.  You may be asked to show 10K Baht worth of cash, when coming in from Malaysia (20K if you have a Visa).

Edited by JackThompson

2 hours ago, radiomore said:

I wasn't aware there was a Kota Bharu consulate! What are they like?

I have not been there personally. Reports I have read suggest it is an OK place to apply. There are visa run companies in Phuket, apparently, that use Kota Bharu. Penang would be closer, so that is suggestive.

7 hours ago, radiomore said:

I wasn't aware there was a Kota Bharu consulate! What is it like?

Been a while since I was there but the several times I used it before I got a Retirement "O and the folk there were delightful and every time I was issued whatever visa I applied for. 

If you go there, please let us know how you do?

S&F B A.: 

3 hours ago, Brian Allen said:

Been a while since I was there but the several times I used it before I got a Retirement "O and the folk there were delightful and every time I was issued whatever visa I applied for. 

Wonderful, thanks very much!

12 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Based on current reports, you can do 2 hassle-free Visa Exempt entries by land per year at any border-crossing except the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing.  You may be asked to show 10K Baht worth of cash, when coming in from Malaysia (20K if you have a Visa).

Is there an ATM at the border where I can get THB, or will I have to pay currency conversion fees on 10K THB worth of Malaysian Ringgit?

Has anyone been to Kota Bharu recently? I did some research and it looks like that's kind of a dangerous area to be in as there's a minor war on the Malaysian/Thai border... the French government recommends against travel there without a pressing reason:

20180606_fcvregional_asieoceanie_cle0c47

Kota Bharu

1 hour ago, radiomore said:

Has anyone been to Kota Bharu recently? I did some research and it looks like that's kind of a dangerous area to be in as there's a minor war on the Malaysian/Thai border... the French government recommends against travel there without a pressing reason:

20180606_fcvregional_asieoceanie_cle0c47

Kota Bharu is fine. It's a Muslim town so don't expect any bars. The border town of Sungai Kolok is where the problems start. I travel regularly to there and wander round without issue but armed soldiers on the train are a sign it's not all good. They're not interested in Westerners but there is always the risk of getting caught up in bomb blast or something. Someone shot at the train a few weeks ago.

The consulate at Kota Bhuru requires ticket out, hotel booking and bank statements for a TV.

15 hours ago, radiomore said:

Is there an ATM at the border where I can get THB, or will I have to pay currency conversion fees on 10K THB worth of Malaysian Ringgit?

The cash shown at the checkpoint can be in any convertable currency (Ringgit, USD, Euro, etc).   I carry ancient USD Travelers Checks, only for this silly rule.  Unfortunately, there is not an ATM (that I know of) on the Malaysian side which dispenses THB.