Ancient paintings found in Krabi cave

webfact

Ancient paintings found in Krabi cave

Officials believe that this area had been a community where ancient human lived in the distant past.

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

50512-1.jpg

More than 60 ancient paintings, thought to aged around 3-5 thousand years, have been found at the Khao Pru Tee Mae cliff in Chong Lom Mountain, Ao Luek, Krabi.

A team of archaeologists from the Fine Arts Department last month found more than 30 paintings of monkeys, humans, elephants and geometric forms along the 300 metres cliff.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/ancient-paintings-found-in-krabi-cave

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-06-07

This week an additional 30 paintings have also been found near the first area. These paintings show stories of adults and children, marine life, fishermen and elephants.

As soon as it gets "known" it will undoubtedly get ruined if it isn't protected. Just like any old temple or other ancient site that people stumble across.

Back where I used to live in Canada, we had to take a "barge" up a lake (Shuswap Lake in BC) to get to the remote community we lived in. It was a 4 hour trip on a good day and in the late 60s/early 70s the barge used to stop at one point on the lake where there were Indian paintings on a rock face. The only way to see the paintings was from the water and they had to have been painted by natives while in their canoes.
The paintings apparently told the story of how the Blackfeet used to cross the Rocky Mountains in the early Spring to raid the Shuswap Indians, then cross back to Alberta in the Fall before the snows got too deep and blocked the mountain passes. (The Shuswaps apparently had a reputation for being lazy people but having good looking women.)

Unfortunately, tourists in houseboats and other watercraft started visiting the site in droves and of course some of them just had to try and take a souvenir. Too many people trying to take too many souvenirs eventually destroyed the site. I imagine that most of the painted rock ended up in the lake as people tried to chip pieces off.
As a kid back then, I was having too much fun jumping off the tugboat that pushed the barge and swimming around than looking at some boring rocks. I guess dad didn't think too much of them either and I don't recall anyone taking any pictures.

Of course, these days everyone has a camera and takes pictures of everything so you can hope that something will be preserved for posterity's sake. 

3 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

Wow, Thailand has invented geometry.

Definition of geometric

3a : using straight or curved lines in designs or outlines
  b : of or relating to art based on simple geometric shapes (such as straight lines, circles, or squares) 

I see a Monet, or Manet (I get them mixed up). When will PM rail against this rampant plague of graffiti?

Years ago went to Ramses tomb in Egypt. There was graffiti on the passage leading down. Original Greek graffiti (it is a Greek word after all...). A few thousand years old at least, it was pointed out. Bet they wished they had spray paint cans back then...

17 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

The Remote location seems to have nicely trimmed Bush.Yet no one been there. Hmm..

Ah ha! Looks like you've uncovered a sinister conspiracy. 

Archived