Trump dangles White House visit for North Korea’s Kim if summit goes well

webfact

Trump dangles prospect of North Korean leader visit if summit successful

By James Oliphant

2018-06-07T165521Z_1_LYNXNPEE561M7_RTROPTP_4_USA-JAPAN.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump listens to a question while meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, U.S., June 7, 2018. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday held out the prospect of inviting North Korean leader Kim Jong Un to the White House if he deemed next week's summit a success while also signalling he was willing to walk away if he thought talks did not go well.

At a White House news conference with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, Trump also repeated what he said last week that it was possible he and Kim could sign an agreement to end the 1950-53 Korean War, which was concluded only with a truce, not a peace treaty.

"We could sign an agreement, as you know that would be a first step ... We're looking at it, we're talking about it with a lot of other people," Trump told reporters. "That's probably the easy part. The hard part remains after that."

Trump added that he hoped someday U.S. relations with Kim's secretive Pyongyang government could be normalized.

The main issue for the June 12 summit in Singapore is the U.S. demand for North Korea to abandon a nuclear weapons programme that now threatens the United States.

North Korea has rejected giving up its arsenal unilaterally and defends its nuclear and missile programs as a deterrent against what it sees as U.S. aggression. The United States stations 28,500 troops in South Korea, a legacy of the Korean War.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Thursday reemphasised Washington's stance going into the talks.

Pompeo said Trump will reject anything short of "complete, verifiable and irreversible denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.

"President Trump is hopeful. But he's also going into the summit with his eyes wide open," Pompeo said at a White House briefing after the Trump-Abe news conference.

Pompeo, however, added that the U.S. would work to guarantee North Korea's security should it denuclearize. Trump "is prepared to ensure a DPRK free of its weapons of mass destruction is also a secure North Korea," Pompeo said.

Pompeo plans to stay in the region following the summit to meet with officials from Japan and South Korea and to travel to China, an important North Korean ally, to discuss the next steps involving Pyongyang.

Trump told reporters on Thursday he would quit the talks if he felt he must, and would ramp up U.S. sanctions pressure on North Korea if the talks did not go well.

"I am totally prepared to walk away," he said.

On the other hand, Trump said he might extend an invitation to Kim to Washington.

"Certainly if it goes well. I think it would be well received," he said in answer to a question. "I think he would look at it very favourably so I think that could happen."

Pompeo, who has twice met with Kim in Pyongyang, said he believes the North Korean leader is prepared to take "bold" steps to alter the course of his nation.

"He has indicated to me personally that he is prepared to denuclearize," Pompeo said. "That he understands that the current model doesn't work, that he's prepared to denuclearize and that two, he understands that we can't do it the way we've done it before. That is has to be big and bold and we have to agree to making major changes."

At the meeting with Abe, Trump said he promised to raise with Kim the subject of Japanese citizens abducted by North Korea, after Abe focussed on the issue during an earlier conversation.

"He talked about it long and hard and passionately and I will follow his wishes and we will be discussing that with North Korea absolutely, absolutely," Trump said.

(Reporting by Roberta Rampton and James Oliphant; Writing by David Alexander and Eric Walsh; Editing by Richard Chang and Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-08

4 hours ago, webfact said:

he was willing to walk away if he thought talks did not go well.

Sounds like a resonable man. Walking away from a problem as a president of USA. He need to realize, this isn´t one of his ordinary business meetings.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Sounds like a resonable man. Walking away from a problem as a president of USA. He need to realize, this isn´t one of his ordinary business meetings.

What he was saying is that he will not cede to any demands by NK .

57 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What he was saying is that he will not cede to any demands by NK .

Nope! 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

while also signalling he was willing to walk away if he thought talks did not go well.

Can´t be more clear!

12 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Nope! 

Can´t be more clear!

Yes, Trump will walk away from the meeting if things do not go well .

If they disagree on things , Trump will walk away .

If NK have unreasonable demands , Trump will walk away .

Trump will not cede to any unreasonable/disagreeable demands /requests .

He will not give NK everything that they want 

• Like 1

Just now, attrayant said:

Trump has already ceded so many propaganda victories to NK with no concessions from them in return.  This free White House ticket is just the latest one.

When asked if he's ready for the summit, Trump says:

"I don't think I have to prepare very much.  It's about attitude."

Great.  Trump goes into a nuclear disarmament summit bristling with attitude.  What could possibly go wrong?

Read the whole interview .

Trump said that this was a *breaking the ice* kind of meeting  , more of a social meeting than a business meeting and that there would likely be further meetings and discussions where in-depth discussion could take place .

This meeting will pave the way for further in-depth discussions/agreements .

Trump is just testing the water, with this first meeting

17 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, Trump will walk away from the meeting if things do not go well .

If they disagree on things , Trump will walk away .

If NK have unreasonable demands , Trump will walk away .

Trump will not cede to any unreasonable/disagreeable demands /requests .

He will not give NK everything that they want 

Sometimes, it´s nice to not have to write too much. Referring to the comment below yours. Have a nice day. Don´t forget to continue your support for the madman.

Edited by Get Real

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Trump is just testing the water, with this first meeting

I guess that sums it up. It´s in fact the only thing he can do with the poor knowledge and crazy attitude he have.

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Read the whole interview.

Trump said that this was a *breaking the ice* kind of meeting  , more of a social meeting than a business meeting and that there would likely be further meetings and discussions where in-depth discussion could take place .

This meeting will pave the way for further in-depth discussions/agreements.  Trump is just testing the water, with this first meeting

But in a prior post you said 

"Yes, Trump will walk away from the meeting if things do not go well.  If they disagree on things , Trump will walk away.  If NK have unreasonable demands , Trump will walk away.  Trump will not cede to any unreasonable/disagreeable demands /requests.  He will not give NK everything that they want.

If this is just an "ice breaker" social event, what could there possible be for Trump to walk away about?  What might not go well in an ice-breaker event?  Martinis shaken rather than stirred?  French fries not salty enough? No ketchup for his well-done steak?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Get Real said:

I guess that sums it up. It´s in fact the only thing he can do with the poor knowledge and crazy attitude he have.

Yes, this is the first meeting , a first meeting to discuss what they will discuss at the subsequent meetings .

Just a meeting for general agreements , stop firing rockets , make peace with SK , stop making nukes , Trump giving NK safety assurances .

O.K. both agree on those issues , lets meet next month at the White House to go into detail

But in a prior post you said 

"Yes, Trump will walk away from the meeting if things do not go well.  If they disagree on things , Trump will walk away.  If NK have unreasonable demands , Trump will walk away.  Trump will not cede to any unreasonable/disagreeable demands /requests.  He will not give NK everything that they want.

If this is just an "ice breaker" social event, what could there possible be for Trump to walk away about?  What might not go well in an ice-breaker event?  Martinis shaken rather than stirred?  French fries not salty enough? No ketchup for his well-done steak?

If NK were to say *No, we will continue firing rockets and continue with our nuclear programme* then Trump will not continue with any talks .

On the one hand Trump has done very little over the course of his presidency to give one any confidence that these meetings will turn out well. On the other hand he is attempting to do more than any president has until now. All of whom simply kicked the can down the road. Good Luck to him and us.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, this is the first meeting , a first meeting to discuss what they will discuss at the subsequent meetings .

Just a meeting for general agreements , stop firing rockets , make peace with SK , stop making nukes , Trump giving NK safety assurances .

O.K. both agree on those issues , lets meet next month at the White House to go into detail

Glad to hear that you are so positive, and that you have such a confidence for your big idol. Most people in US and the rest of the world, today see him as a threat to world peace.
Rest assure, though! You are right and they are wrong.

3 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Glad to hear that you are so positive, and that you have such a confidence for your big idol. Most people in US and the rest of the world, today see him as a threat to world peace.

In the 15 years preceding this presidency the US instigated or participated in military actions that led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people, many of them innocents. These military adventures displaced millions of persons and has led to a migrant crisis on the European continent. What exactly has this current president done that makes you believe he is a "threat to world peace"?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Get Real said:

For a start Trump is not my "big idol" , that is where the problem lays with the anti-Trump brigade ,(which I assume that you belong to) .

You are blinded by your anti -Trump stance .

Everything that he does is wrong , and you do not judge his actions .

Last year , the World was edging towards a possible World War , with NK center stage .

NK firing rockets over Japan and the U.S. Navy sailing towards NK .

Fast forward  year and USA & NK are having a meeting , with China , Japan and South Korea all getting involved in peace talks .

This was all done by Trump, I really cannot see how you can consider that a threat to world peace

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

For a start Trump is not my "big idol" , that is where the problem lays with the anti-Trump brigade ,(which I assume that you belong to) .

Last year , the World was edging towards a possible World War , with NK center stage .

Fast forward  year and USA & NK are having a meeting , with China , Japan and South Korea all getting involved in peace talks .

This was all done by Trump, I really cannot see how you can consider that a threat to world peace

At the very least it has given the US and its allies time to prepare a military response should that ever be necessary, which one would hope, never will be.

30 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Nope! This has all been set up by China, SK and Japan. That to get the two parts with big differences to meet.
I am not in the anti-trump brigade. I am not even a part of the country he reigns in. 
As a person that is standing on the outside, gives me the possibility to see the big picture. Something you seem to just give Trump all the good part of.

Edited by Get Real
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

In the 15 years preceding this presidency the US instigated or participated in military actions that led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people, many of them innocents. These military adventures displaced millions of persons and has led to a migrant crisis on the European continent. What exactly has this current president done that makes you believe he is a "threat to world peace"?

Acting like a misplaced moron in a too big chair for his knowledge.

3 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Nope! This has all been set up by China, SK and Japan. That to get the two parts with big differences to meet.
I am not in the anti-trump brigade. I am not even a part of the country he reigns in. 
As a person that is standing on the outside, gives me the possibility to see the big picture. Something you seem to just give Trump alla the good part of.

O.K . In what way did China , SK and Japan "set this up" .

Do you have proof of his, or are you just making things up ?

How did China , SK and Japan,set this up ?

17 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Acting like a misplaced moron in a too big chair for his knowledge.

The well placed morons that preceeded him had just enough knowledge to fail continually but somehow garner the public's appreciation and respect. I don't blame them so much as I blame the public who are wrong about just about everything, all of the time.

Edited by lannarebirth
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, sanemax said:

O.K . In what way did China , SK and Japan "set this up" .

Do you have proof of his, or are you just making things up ?

How did China , SK and Japan,set this up ?

I´ve already explained this in another thread. Starting to get boring.
I give you one example, though. Kim did visit China and talked to president Xi a lot. Many meetings in secret, but with the preassure from him and many other asian countries, he have shifted in his stance against Trump and US. They simply put preassure on him to gain stability in the asian economic sector.

Just not going to arse myself with explaining more, due to that it´s a waste of time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lannarebirth said:

On the one hand Trump has done very little over the course of his presidency to give one any confidence that these meetings will turn out well. On the other hand he is attempting to do more than any president has until now. All of whom simply kicked the can down the road.

Just listen to what kind of roasting Obama got for saying he'd meet with NK, compared to what kind of praise Trump gets for doing the same:

https://nowthisnews.com/videos/politics/fox-news-different-reactions-regarding-negotiations-with-north-korea

• Thanks 2

Just listen to what kind of roasting Obama got for saying he'd meet with NK, compared to what kind of praise Trump gets for doing the same:

https://nowthisnews.com/videos/politics/fox-news-different-reactions-regarding-negotiations-with-north-korea

I would have thought Obama would be above caring about such things. Obama didn't agree to meet with NK, did he? That would have been a good thing. Maybe now they wouldn't have their nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles if he had.