Anthony Bourdain dead at 61: Celebrity chef tragically kills himself

snoop1130

Anthony Bourdain dead at 61: Celebrity chef tragically kills himself

By Lucy Needham & Rose Hill

2015-Creative-Arts-Emmy-Awards-Arrivals.jpg

Celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain has died at the age of 61 (Image: FilmMagic)

Celebrity chef and TV personality Anthony Bourdain has died aged 61.

Bourdain had been in Strasborg, France working on an episode of his award-winning CNN series Parts Unknown.

His close friend French chef Eric Ripert is reported to have found Bourdain unresponsive in his hotel room on Friday morning.

CNN announced the news in a statement and revealed the cause of death as suicide.

Full Story: https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/breaking-anthony-bourdain-dead-12667320#ICID=ios_TMNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

That is very true.One of the unhappiest women I ever knew was married to a European heir of a huge German company,had houses on five continents and yearned for love..

Depression is a killer but these high profile cases do not truly reflect the whole picture.

RIP M.Bourdain.

I actually liked his show. RIP.

• Like 2

Anthony Bourdain's suicide a reminder of how fragile life is and that we never know what is  going on inside of another. Very sad about this news , my heart goes out to you Mr Bourdain wherever your journey takes you too.

Celebrity U.S. chef, TV host Bourdain dies of suicide at 61

By Scott Malone

800x800 (4).jpg

Anthony Bourdain poses with the outstanding informational series or special award for "Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown" backstage at the 2015 Creative Arts Emmy Awards in Los Angeles, California September 12, 2015. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok

(Reuters) - U.S. celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain, host of CNN's food-and-travel-focused "Parts Unknown" television series, killed himself in a French hotel room, officials said on Friday, in the second high-profile suicide of a U.S. celebrity this week. He was 61.

Bourdain, whose career catapulted him from washing dishes at New York restaurants to dining in Vietnam with President Barack Obama, hanged himself in a hotel room near Strasbourg, France, where he had been working on an upcoming episode of his program, CNN said.

Investigators were treating the death in Kaysersberg, France, as a suicide, local prosecutor Christian de Rocquigny said in a telephone interview.

His death comes three days after American designer Kate Spade, who built a fashion empire on her signature handbags, was found dead of suicide in her New York apartment on Tuesday.

Suicide rates rose in nearly every U.S. state from 1999 to 2016, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday. Nearly 45,000 people committed suicide in 2016, making it one of three leading causes of death that are on the rise, along with Alzheimer's disease and drug overdoses.

Suicide rates surged among people aged 45 to 64, according to the CDC report. The center recommended a broad approach to prevention, including boosting economic support by states, supporting family and friends after a suicide, and identifying and supporting those at risk.

'CULINARY UNDERBELLY'

Bourdain climbed the culinary career ladder to become executive chef at New York's former Brasserie Les Halles restaurant.

His fame began to grow exponentially in 1999 when the New Yorker magazine published his article "Don't Eat Before Reading This," which he developed into the 2000 book, "Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly."

Brash and opinionated, he also spoke openly about his use of drugs and addiction to heroin earlier in his life.

He went on to host television programs, first on the Food Network and the Travel Channel, before joining CNN in 2013.

"His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller," the network said in a statement. "His talents never ceased to amaze us."

Bourdain told the New Yorker in 2017 that his idea for "Parts Unknown," which was in its 11th season, was traveling, eating and doing whatever he wanted. The show roamed from out-of-the-way restaurants to the homes of locals, providing what the magazine called "communion with a foreign culture so unmitigated that it feels practically intravenous."

When Obama went to Hanoi, Vietnam in May 2016, he met Bourdain at a casual restaurant for a $6 meal of noodles and grilled pork.

"He taught us about food — but more importantly, about its ability to bring us together," Obama tweeted on Friday, along with a picture showing the two drinking beer in Hanoi. "To make us a little less afraid of the unknown. We'll miss him."

President Donald Trump called Bourdain's death "very shocking."

"I enjoyed his show, he was quite a character," Trump told reporters at the White House.

Bourdain last year canceled plans to build a 155,000-square-foot (14,400 square meter) international food hall on a pier on the Hudson River in New York, local media reported.

"Tony's restless spirit will roam the earth in search of justice, truth and a great bowl of noodles," award-winning chef Tom Colicchio said of Bourdain on Twitter.

The National Suicide Lifeline, which provides services for people experiencing suicidal thoughts, tweeted: "Please know you are never alone, no matter how dark or lonely things may seem. If you're struggling, reach out."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-09

1 hour ago, pookiki said:

I always watched his shows with intense interest.  He was a very, very talented and intelligent individual.  However, one thing I always noticed was his alcohol consumption during the shows and it certainly indicated a problem.  For a person who has had issues with heroin and cocaine in the past, one should know that alcohol my provide temporary relief to depression but only attenuates it once the affects wear off. As one poster noted, we all have our demons but drugs and alcohol do not rid ourselves of those demons.

Rest in peace, Mr. Bourdain.  I will miss you.

Very good,responsible post.

Please avoid self medicating with alcohol or other drugs.In my case it was alcohol.Curiously enough I was/am not a heavy drinker but drank just enough to tip me over the edge-or to prevent me from climbing back up again.

Mr Bourdain's lifestyle would have been a major impediment-though it looked glitzy-to any chance of recovery from depression.

5 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Only 61 years of age but looks 81. 

Must have led a rough life. 

One of his quotes:

“I should’ve died in my 20s. I became successful in my 40s. I became a dad in my 50s. I feel like I’ve stolen a car — a really nice car — and I keep looking in the rearview mirror for flashing lights. But there’s been nothing yet.”

This article kicked things off...the success of this article led to the publication of "Kitchen Confidential".

Don’t Eat Before Reading This

A New York chef spills some trade secrets.

By Anthony Bourdain

Good food, good eating, is all about blood and organs, cruelty and decay. It’s about sodium-loaded pork fat, stinky triple-cream cheeses, the tender thymus glands and distended livers of young animals. It’s about danger—risking the dark, bacterial forces of beef, chicken, cheese, and shellfish. Your first two hundred and seven Wellfleet oysters may transport you to a state of rapture, but your two hundred and eighth may send you to bed with the sweats, chills, and vomits.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1999/04/19/dont-eat-before-reading-this

• Thanks 1

There is more to the story. He likely did not kill himself.

"Bourdain was an open critic of Harvey Weinstein and made no secret of his desire for the disgraced former Hollywood mogul to face justice.During his criticisms of Weinstein, he openly stated that Hillary Clinton had full knowledge of the sexual abuse, and had done so "for years.," saying:"know what Hillary Clinton is NOT? She's not stupid. Or unsophisticated about the world. The Weinstein stories had been out there for years"Bourdain’s girlfriend, actress Asia Argento, is one of the victims who accused Weinstein of raping her."

http://www.neonnettle.com/news/4269-anthony-bourdain-was-about-to-expose-an-elite-pedophile-ring-before-he-died

• Sad 1

On 6/8/2018 at 7:22 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Another proof that fame and money doesn't buy you happiness. At all.

Any neither does being unnoticed and poor. I rather be the first than the latter. 

24 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

"Bourdain was an open critic of Harvey Weinstein and made no secret of his desire for the disgraced former Hollywood mogul to face justice.During his criticisms of Weinstein, he openly stated that Hillary Clinton had full knowledge of the sexual abuse, and had done so "for years.," saying:"know what Hillary Clinton is NOT? She's not stupid. Or unsophisticated about the world. The Weinstein stories had been out there for years"Bourdain’s girlfriend, actress Asia Argento, is one of the victims who accused Weinstein of raping her."

http://www.neonnettle.com/news/4269-anthony-bourdain-was-about-to-expose-an-elite-pedophile-ring-before-he-died

Thank God TV Inspector Clouseau is on the case. 

Conspiracy theory central!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app