Liverpool great Dalglish awarded knighthood

rooster59

Liverpool great Dalglish awarded knighthood

800x800 (6).jpg

Soccer Football - Premier League - Liverpool vs Manchester United - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - October 14, 2017 Kenny Dalglish waves to the fans before the match REUTERS/Phil Noble

LONDON (Reuters) - Liverpool great Kenny Dalglish was awarded a knighthood in the Queen's birthday honours list that was announced on Friday.

Dalglish, 67, won three European Cups and six league titles as a Liverpool player and then managed the club in two spells.

He secured three league titles as manager, including a league and cup double in 1986 and was the first person to ever achieve that feat as a player/manager.

He was also recognised for his work in supporting the victims of the Hillsborough stadium disaster.

“Obviously it was for others with more education and knowledge than myself to decide whether or not I deserved a knighthood, and it goes without saying that I am hugely grateful to them for the decision that they have made,” Dalglish said on Liverpool's website

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/304232-kenny-dalglish-knighthood-announced.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-09
  • Like 1

Always makes me laugh when kicking a bag full of air seems to generate an award.......people who invent things and scientists are the ones who should be getting rewarded.

• Like 2

Never heard of him. 

They hand out knighthoods to any PC Tom, Dick or Harriet thesedays.

More often than not the award has to be returned when its discovered he's a monster.

Sportsmen  and & politicans  are so over-rated. They should never receive awards. Honours should go only to those who have worked a lifetime for the community more often than not with little or no pay. 

Whose in line for a knighthood next?  Beckham ?  Ive heard of him.

Edited by lanista
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, lanista said:

Never heard of him. 

They hand out knighthoods to any PC Tom, Dick or Harriet thesedays.

More often than not the award has to be returned when its discovered he's a monster.

Sportsmen  and & politicans  are so over-rated. They should never receive awards. Honours should go only to those who have worked a lifetime for the community more often than not with little or no pay. 

Whose in line for a knighthood next?  Beckham ?  Ive heard of him.

Why trouble us with your lack of knowledge?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

Kenny was a supreme footballer and manager of Liverpool Football club. 

If any sportsman is deserving of such an honour it is indeed King Kenny who is also a supporter of many charitable causes.

Don't criticise what you don't know about.

ill criticise what i like thanks

• Haha 1

There are many who deserve recognition but the honours have been well tarnished this time...

Birthday Honours 2018: Network Rail boss made CBE amid travel chaos

Politicians and passenger groups have reacted angrily after the outgoing boss of Network Rail was appointed a CBE amid continued rail disruption.

Mark Carne was included in the Queen's Birthday Honours list for his services to the railway industry.

MP Tim Farron called it a "slap in the face" while one trade union leader said it was like "rewarding the captain of the Titanic for jumping ship".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44415339

21 hours ago, Basil B said:

There are many who deserve recognition but the honours have been well tarnished this time...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44415339

I actually worked for Mark Carne about 20 years ago when he was still with Shell. My take on him was that he was a genuine, decent person who had integrity and scruples - and very switched on to boot. It will probably be forever an unknown, but I would suspect that the challenges of Network rail are too great. Maybe without his efforts it would be even worse. 

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I actually worked for Mark Carne about 20 years ago when he was still with Shell. My take on him was that he was a genuine, decent person who had integrity and scruples - and very switched on to boot. It will probably be forever an unknown, but I would suspect that the challenges of Network rail are too great. Maybe without his efforts it would be even worse. 

Probably is, and Network Rail is a basket case he should have steered clear of, but it is still an insult to many other recipients of awards.

Edited by Basil B