Thailand becoming ‘garbage bin of world’

webfact

Sadly nothing will happen until Thailand becomes so polluted that people won't want to go there. This won't happen as for the most part the tourists will be from other South East Asian who don't for the moment give too much thought for chucking rubbish into the environment, with a few exceptions. Things do not look good. Last year I went to the idyllic island of Koh Lipe - maybe it was idyllic but now has been completed destroyed by overdevelopment. Luckily the surrounding islands are protected by the National Parks but having been travelling to and living in Thailand , a country I have loved for more than 30 years the devestating effect will not be stopped until forward planning is incorporated into the national culture. And then there's that other small problem called greed!

Edited by leggo
Grammatical errors

7 hours ago, lazeeboy said:

I've been living in Thailand coming up 25 years mainly on Samui and have watch the island gradually become a slum leave the confines of the 3:4 star hotel and it really is a shit hole .this was a gradual thing not an over night thing .I see people in pickups with backs full of rubbish just pull up and dump there load because no one collects there rubbish .there is no easy solution to this 1 St the government needs to employ more dustman 2 ND charge everyone living on the island Thai and farang a set amount of say 20 baht which would cover the increase in costs of employing more workers 3rd fix the in cinerator to get the money to fix this go to every hotel and guest shop and business to pay a monthly figure without exception failure to pay take away there business license.5 th employ 3 or 4 overseer's to collect said monies 6 t check said collectors to make sure they do there job and don't run away with the money .maybe a charge against there property or car like banks do .lastly get the government to stop stealing the money and clean up this shit hole ...

I agree with you. I left Samui after 9 years. Could not handle the trash, the traffic, the attitude of alot of the local people, and the total lack of law enforcement and traffic safety. Where I disagree, is that there is not enough money to handle the trash problem. There is a fortune made on Samui. If they could only arrest and imprison the mayor, and then replace him with someone who gave a rat's ass about the island, the problems would be solved. He has embezzled hundreds and hundreds of millions of baht. All that money could be going toward maintenance of the island. It would not take a fortune. Just a little bit of pride, which Samui sorely lacks. Sometimes, the place feels like a nasty, filthy, used up, year old towel, that has been ringed out one too many times. It is a gorgeous island. Just a bit too much greed, and not enough locals with pride. Most are transplants. They just do not care. It is all about the money on Samui.

16 hours ago, leggo said:

Sadly nothing will happen until Thailand becomes so polluted that people won't want to go there. This won't happen as for the most part the tourists will be from other South East Asian who don't for the moment give too much thought for chucking rubbish into the environment, with a few exceptions. Things do not look good. Last year I went to the idyllic island of Koh Lipe - maybe it was idyllic but now has been completed destroyed by overdevelopment. Luckily the surrounding islands are protected by the National Parks but having been travelling to and living in Thailand , a country I have loved for more than 30 years the devestating effect will not be stopped until forward planning is incorporated into the national culture. And then there's that other small problem called greed!

As you said idyllic ? Went there last year and will never go again. Its like Boracay in the phil but that is somehow a little better, though it is already 10 years ago. And Panglao 6 years ago, worse, you were swimming with plastic. The same with Bali, also big garbage problem now. The north was (14 years ago) quite clean, the south ok there is tourisme but still it was clean on the beach. 

The governments dont care about the garbage problems until tourists stay away.

I wouldnt do any of the places, i mentioned, ever again

• Like 1

For a country like Thailand to import other countries garbage when it can't even cope with its own reminded me of an old David Attenborough programme "Life on Earth".

At the end of the series he was pictured beside a huge rocket at the NASA Space Centre and  (from memory) made the following closing statement:-

"We are prepared to spend billions of dollars on exploring the possibilities of colonising a far off planet. Would it not be far better to spend that money on looking after the one that we've got?"

Wise words from a very wise and sincere man.

If I had a nickel for every time stupid people said  stupid things, I would be a "Billionaire". 

They love the plastics, because they are part of the Depoplation process. Wrap your head around that, next time you get plastics, and all the toxics they carry. They all are intended to go into your body.

Hope that helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP0M3KmiTfw

I am so disgusted about the garbage that is left on the side of the road.

I live in beautiful Khao Yai and Thai people could care less about tossing their shit out the window.

I travel by bicycle many miles each week and get a good view of the crap they toss onto the road way.

Today I saw a mattress with bedding!

I don't want to hear about how much Thai's love their country..they treat it as a garbage can!

• Thanks 1

I agree with you. I left Samui after 9 years. Could not handle the trash, the traffic, the attitude of alot of the local people, and the total lack of law enforcement and traffic safety. Where I disagree, is that there is not enough money to handle the trash problem. There is a fortune made on Samui. If they could only arrest and imprison the mayor, and then replace him with someone who gave a rat's ass about the island, the problems would be solved. He has embezzled hundreds and hundreds of millions of baht. All that money could be going toward maintenance of the island. It would not take a fortune. Just a little bit of pride, which Samui sorely lacks. Sometimes, the place feels like a nasty, filthy, used up, year old towel, that has been ringed out one too many times. It is a gorgeous island. Just a bit too much greed, and not enough locals with pride. Most are transplants. They just do not care. It is all about the money on Samui.

I often agree with your comments, also on Samui. But your fixation on the current major is really obsessive considering that the previous major was much worse and another future one would be the same.
Just look at Phuket/Pattaya/Chiang mai etc. .
These problems are the same all over Thailand with very few exceptions (mainly small cities in the north).

Sent from my ASUS_X008D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app