Internet Nomad

On 6/13/2018 at 2:57 PM, Bastos60 said:

That is a complete false statement. 

Income is taxable in every country. But what you refer to is what is considered taxable income and where was this income generated.

If I work for my company in thailand while on holiday for a non-thai customer I don't generate an income in Thailand, I am still generating it in my country of residence where
I will have to pay taxes. I will never be taxed in Thailand since it is nolonger an income when I transfer it into a Thai bankaccount, it is just personal finances.

A digital nomad that recruits customers through the internet from all over the world, is generating an income in his country of residence, even if he is abroad while on holiday, yes read carefully, holiday, digital nomads are always a resident in whatever country they come from and considered holidaymakers in visiting countries. It is perfectly possible to NOT DECLARE your income since it is very difficult to track but that is just common tax evasion. 

Neither of your examples apply to digital nomads. Why even bother writing them down. 

Every country has their tax laws and they are not the same for every country, but one thing is generally considered the same, money generated from labour is considered an income.

You're completely wrong, this is the huge bad premise in your post:

digital nomads are always a resident in whatever country they come from

Usually, they are not tax resident in their country of origin if they are out of that country for 183 days per year. Many countries, in fact I think all countries aside from the US, do not levy tax on foreign sourced income of non tax resident citizens.

Neither of your examples apply to digital nomads. Why even bother writing them down. 

I didn't provide more than one example, it was a single example with 4 conditions where ALL of the conditions I mentioned apply, and it ABSOLUTELY applies to DNs.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

On 6/12/2018 at 6:20 AM, arithai12 said:

It is my understanding that if you bring the money to Thailand in the same year in which it is earned abroad, even if you let it sit in a savings account without touching it, then you are in principle subject to taxation. Am I wrong?

Unless you are already paying tax on that in your home country.

No I leave the money on offshore accounts.. Remitting it in any year to Thailand from an account where it has sat dormant for >1 year offshore. 

This is my point with 2 accounts.. Year 1 only fill account 1.. year 2 only fill account 2.. Draw any funds to Thailand from the account which has seasoned.. 

On 6/12/2018 at 6:19 AM, ubonjoe said:

Where?

I have not been able to find it

Section 40 Assessable income is income of the following categories including any amount of tax paid by the payer of income or by any other person on behalf of a taxpayer.

(1)    Income derived from employment, whether in the form of salary, wage, per diem, bonus, bounty, gratuity, pension, house rent allowance, monetary value of rent-free residence provided by an employer, payment of debt liability of an employee made by an employer, or any money, property or benefit derived from employment.4

Thai tax code lumps pensions in with all other 'income'.. 

If you hold that money for a period greater than 1 year it is savings.. But those who remit pensions or social security type payments as they are paid are technically liable (not pursued currently.. I dont make that claim at all !!). Secondly those who use the 'income' route on retirement visa applications are doubly at risk, they are claiming they have 'income' as defined by thai law, not 'savings'... They then declare that income via sworn affidavits.. While applying to live here full time and be tax resident. They are putting themselves legally and sworn and signed proven, right into the position of being liable. 

Its not hard to think a future Thai government, possibly looking for additional revenue streams, could find this very simple system to gather funds and play up to the xenophobia angle.. I mean, the whole "you want to live in our wonderful country" etc.. 

Also while I would not cite this as in any way definitive.. Its not a govermental source it is however a pension adviser offering pension transfer and withdrawal services. 

https://www.aesinternational.com/financial-planning/retirement-planning/tax-on-pensions/qrops-thailand

Tax in Thailand

The Thai Revenue Code stipulates that pensions are treated as income, as far as tax is concerned. A resident in Thailand receiving a foreign pension would be liable to pay income tax in Thailand but no other Thai taxation applies including net wealth, net worth, gift or inheritance taxes.

Edited by LivinLOS