Retired paraplegic Brit: "I am like a prisoner in my own home"

webfact

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Read your post with interest Sheryl, my biggest problem is getting my wife to agree to move.

I was born here, my family are here, you want to move because you and my family do not get on, bla bla, bla.

We could move into Banphai, it is only 3 kilometers away, but she keeps saying a like village not city.

Regarding health care, we are only 3 ks away from the hospital, so distance is not a problem.

Thais seem very dogmatic about moving. My MIL became ill and needed to live with family, but refused to move to live with us, so the family spent large amounts on building a ground level room for her to live in, and family in the village looked in on her. She lasted about 6 months before dying, so wasted money ( no one lives there now ). The best solution was for her to live with us, but she wanted to stay where she was regardless, and none of the family stood up to her. TiT. Also, the hospital a 2 hour drive away, while with us hospital 15 minutes away.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

''Colin came more than 50 times to Thailand over a 21 year period''

Mmmm. Now I wonder why that was? All the lovely places to visit in the world (many closer to the UK) but was a serial visitor to Thailand. That said, all the best Col.

Says Pat in Pattaya!!?

Sorry to hear about your problem Colin. It is always a pleasure to read your posts, often witty, but always to the point. You label yourself as a cranky old bugger, which just shows me how you rise above your problems with humour and repartee.

I sincerely hope, as do many of us, that this airing of your plight brings the local plod off their collective asses to do something.

Please,please PM me if you need anything, even just a chat mate........:jap: 

Sry to hear, don't let it grind you down, I have a house in a small village in Chaiyaphum not a million miles away from Ban Phai, I pass through it each time I go back from where I work in Mukdahan, I'll PM you next time I'm passing through, try & arrange a visit, won't be until the end of semester in October though, us brits have to stick together, keep your chin up.....

3 hours ago, poanoi said:

given he was already 50 when he came here first time,

"I came here for the ladies"="sex tourist",

cause, there aint none interested in a 50 yo fart without financial compensation

Speak for yourself mate.?

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I had the misfortune of having  a Yaba dealer as a neighbour when I lived in a village appoximately 60km from Udon. So many posters claiming their village is different, however I can assure you 90% of their customers you would never have guessed were users. Well dressed, nice cars, young and old Yaba doesn't discriminate, certainly opened my eyes that it is rife in the boonies.

Oh yeah!!!  Absolutely.  And in the cities  Taxi, bus & minivan drivers and shift workers and static gate security guards on their second job. 

Sorry to hear about how things have gone downhill for you.  My advice is .................get  dog, A VERY BIG ONE.  Thais are very wary of big dogs!   Hope you can live the rest of your life in the peace and tranquility you clearly are looking for.   I also came to Thailand after visiting lots of other Countries around the World, then visiting Thailand for 5 times before settling here.  Now very happy and actually struggle to visit my home Country.

13 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

Sorry to hear about how things have gone downhill for you.  My advice is .................get  dog, A VERY BIG ONE.  Thais are very wary of big dogs!   Hope you can live the rest of your life in the peace and tranquility you clearly are looking for.   I also came to Thailand after visiting lots of other Countries around the World, then visiting Thailand for 5 times before settling here.  Now very happy and actually struggle to visit my home Country.

Local dogs and a pig were poisoned last week

Why would it not happen again? 

1 hour ago, kannot said:

Lets hope someone with some BALLS in the govt can sort this out, sorry to hear about this Colin especially because of  your personal situation.

Can i suggest Big Jok?Or is that over the top?

Hi colin

Read your post the other day it must have quite worrying to say the least.Only you will know how safe it is now for you and your wife as it stands at the moment, some nice comments on tv today for you.

Take care fella

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well at least i am honest about it, i suppose you came here for the scenery and culture.

You came here as a ... Using your words Sex tourist, just the same as the rest of us... OK .

"You came here as a ... Using your words Sex tourist, just the same as the rest of us...OK".

What?  Strange as it may seem to an ageing sex tourist, there are other reasons that people come to Thailand, work is one of them.  Not everyone comes here as a sex tourist regardless of your frank admission and daft claim.

Life is so short....why not just "up and move". Anything would be better than living (or existing) a life like that.

I suppose there may be many excuses for not doing so...but is there a good reason? Obviously I do not know the full circumstances....that is just my immediate reaction.

I once was in a situation myself where I was contemplating doing something that would have been disaterous for me....on the basis that a few hours happiness was worth more than a life time of misery....luckily instead I took action to bring about a change in my situation....rather than doing nothing and hoping it would all go away if it's own accord.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Good post mate, but you say he is now in jail, ok, but his family live next to us ( 2 cousins in jail for dealing)

Also if you studied the OP it said sister in laws dog poisoned last night, so a dog is no use, there is nowhere on our property safe for a dog,  front wall 10 meters from house , rear wall 3 meters from house, north side wall 2 meters from house, south side wall 4 meters from house, so where ever a dog was on the property it would be vulnerable to someone throwing poison.

Well my original point stands except for the dogs.  See Wildwillie89 Post 60.  NOW! Dog poisoning.  I did see the bit about the dog and pig.  We have had dog poisonings around her but people see a dead dog with blood on its mouth and think poison.  Several dogs around here have reputedly been poisoned but dogs will drag themselves home to die after being hit by a truck and you need to look hard to think is not poison,.   One of mine was hit by a car and disposed of by a neighbour without telling me. We were advised that he had been poisoned.  I demanded to be taken to where they dumped him.  On examining him I found he had chunks of hair ground off in several places. I took him home & buried him.  A sad day for me, family and the other dogs here.   Obviously hit by car..  A Brother in law over the road paid a lot of money for some  "showy" dogs.  His last dogs all died mysteriously and then these two replacements died.  He NEVER has his dogs vaccinated and there are lots of roaming and stray dogs round here.  Our dogs are over at his place and his dogs come over here.  His dogs were poisoned.  And ours weren't?  We have a lot of really mangy sick dogs dumped here because we are in a side road 4 + km from the local town.    Much easier to say your dog was poisoned than admit you were too cheap or stupid to have them vaccinated...   Every year or two years at the most.

I am not saying poisoning doesn't happen.   It does.   But I never heard of anyone poisoning a pig.  Of course they could have thrown poisoned meat in and got the dog & pig.   Just don't believe every dog that dies suddenly and mysteriously has been poisoned.

Jai yen yen for now.  Hopefully it will all settle and the stress will pass.    Moving is a huge hassle for anyone, more so for you.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well at least i am honest about it, i suppose you came here for the scenery and culture.

You came here as a ... Using your words Sex tourist, just the same as the rest of us... OK .

The rest of us? I came here as result of a job offer. 

4 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

But I never heard of anyone poisoning a pig. 

There is laws on numbers of pigs and the distance those pigs must be kept in Thailand to reduce things like poisoning occurring. I would have to double check as my memory fails me. However, if the pig owner made no efforts to control the noise or smell that came from the pig, then some people bypass making a nuisance complaint to the Tessaban and will just poison it. Best not to have pigs where houses are nearby. 

1 minute ago, wildewillie89 said:

There is laws on numbers of pigs and the distance those pigs must be kept in Thailand to reduce things like poisoning occurring. I would have to double check as my memory fails me. However, if the pig owner made no efforts to control the noise or smell that came from the pig, then some people bypass making a nuisance complaint to the Tessaban and will just poison it. Best not to have pigs where houses are nearby. 

Anything is possible in LOS, I guess.

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Colin, have you ever had any problems with the locals?  Do they pretty much leave you alone?  Hopefully these druggies and gangs are about beating each other senseless, but no one else.

im not taking the piss but have you Colin ever thought about moving somewhere in Thailand that may make you feel a little safer ? 

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Sorry to hear about this Colin. I wish you the best for the future and hope that things improve. 

Hopes and wishes are almost as good as thoughts and prayers. If you want to send something useful try nappies. 

10 minutes ago, catman20 said:

im not taking the piss but have you Colin ever thought about moving somewhere in Thailand that may make you feel a little safer ? 

Me think you were taking the p++s, whatever are you thinking?:cheesy:

I would move tomorrow, yes not easy in my condition, but i would have to get... Her in doors .... to agree.

That is the major stumbbling block

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I would move tomorrow, yes not easy in my condition, but i would have to get... Her in doors .... to agree.

may be easier than you think with the recent events. good luck any way.

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

If you're not happy, no point in staying there.

If she wants to stand in the way of you being happy, no point in taking her with you.

You've got to live for YOU.

"This place makes me unhappy, I'm moving, I'd like you to come with me ........ up to you"

Just now, BritManToo said:

If you're not happy, no point in staying there.

If she wants to stand in the way of you being happy, no point in taking her with you.

You've got to live for YOU.

"Hi, I'm moving, I'd like you to come with me ........ up to you"

Not that easy mate, being paraplegic stops me doing that.

My wife is a fantastic lady, she is also my carer, if you fully understand about paraplegia, you will know that i have no control over bodily waste functions, m,y wife has to take care of that, so i am in effect up a creek without a paddle

Archived