Second sibling dies after fall from balcony collapse last month

snoop1130

Second sibling dies after fall from balcony collapse last month

By The Nation

43498f61bc232284845bff2a2a499c16.jpeg

File photo

The second of four siblings who fell of their family’s fourth-floor apartment balcony in Bangkok last month has died.

Seven-year-old Chanida Borel had been in a coma since the May 1 fall in Bang Kapi district and her condition worsened on Monday to the point where her heart stopped beating. Despite doctors’ attempts to save her, she was pronounced dead at 8am on Tuesday at Ram Khamhaeng Hospital. 

Chanida’s death followed that of her younger sibling Khanatcha Borell, 5, who succumbed to a head injury on the day of the accident. 

The two remaining children have recovered from the incident.

The father of the children, Marcel Borel, a Swiss-national who teaches English, lived separately from his ex-wife and the four children and has reportedly been in a dispute over custody of the children since they separated four years ago. He was visiting Chanida in hospital and reportedly fell to the ground in shock and grief when he was told about her death, a source said. 

According to police, the apartment’s balcony had been extended with wooden planks by two feet to store dishes and the fastenings had come loose. 

The four children lived with their grandparents and Thai mother, Rattikarn Prakaikaew, in the apartment.

Police suspect the children were sitting or standing on the extension when it gave way. 

The incident occurred when the grandparents were sleeping and Rattikarn was working the night shift at a hotel job.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30347576

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-6-12
  • Sad 4

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

According to police, the apartment’s balcony had been extended with wooden planks by two feet to store dishes and the fastenings had come loose. 

Another Thai miracle. After the balcony collapsed, it is still located where it used to be.

Edited by Lupatria
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Another Thai miracle. After the balcony collapsed, it is still located where it used to be.

Just a quick look at the photo and you would be able to see where the wooden planks had been fitted and subsequently broken free under the weight of the children !!

RIP Chanida 

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

3 minutes ago, SpicyMeatball said:

Whats a Swiss national doing teaching English in Thailand? Thats like me teaching German in Cambodia. Even have Russians teaching English here??

you don't have a lot of imagination.

he may have mixed Swiss/Brit parents and have grown up in UK.

• Thanks 1

And no mention of the junkie mother.she must still be on a spending spree with the go fund me money she took from the account.very sad story of children who have been used as pawns in a messed up relationship and now this.i hope the farang and two children can somehow get on and have some light in the near future.as for the mother,I can't say what I think about her as  don't want to get banned from tv.

A number of inflammatory and insulting posts have been removed, along with replies.

A child has died, so such behaviour is totally uncalled for.

Keep it on topic and polite please or there will be repercussions.

RIP to the young girl.

• Like 1

Of course, I'm wondering what kind of parent or grandparent would allow 4 children to stand on this improvised balcony at the same time?  But you see a disregard for safety everywhere you go here. Toddlers riding on scooters. Women carrying babies on scooters/motorcycles. No ground wire in most electrical circuits. I've grown accustom ed to seeing lack of safety conscienceness the poorer surrounding countries where many poor people are still living under deplorable conditions, but I can't help but feel that Thailand should be ahead of its neighbors in safety measures due to being more developed and modernized. However, I do remember a trip to Isaan where a young boy told me not to stand under the coconut tree outside his home because one might fall and hit me in the head. I suppose that's a reasonable start.