Time for Prayut to MOVE ON

webfact

41 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Great points, Samui Bodoh.

The problem I foresee is that if the parties refused to participate in an election (and I actually agree with you on principle that they should do this - given the planned stitch-up), then Prayut and his junta will claim that they have no choice but to continue to rule for the good of the nation. Here is what he might say (prepare yourself for his usual B.S.):

'What do you want? Do you want us to leave our great nation without a leader and without direction? Do you want the Bad Man, who is behind the threatened chaos in Thailand, to return? Do you want old tired politicians to steal from you again? Do you think new politicians are not tied to bad people in foreign countries? Do you not understand that political parties who do not want to participate in an election prove they have no Thai-niyom sense and are irresponsible? What do you want? Do you want anarchy? Do you want mobs creating civil war? Or do you want a strong government that cares about Thailand and loves its people and wants REAL, THAI democracy? Do you not want this - as I do? Now it is time for me to get back to work and save Thailand once again from Bad People.'

And the sheep (in their millions - with only a few tens of thousands actively saying NO) will ruminate: 'He maybe has a point. I don't like him . But it is true we have not had chaos under Prayut. Let's wait and see what he will do. There is nothing we can do ...'.

And so the tyranny will continue.

As much as I wish it were not the case, I tend to agree with you that Prayut and his gang would try to stay on. Further, he likely would be able to stay on, for a while. How long is a while? That is the 64 million dollar question.

I think we all agree that he is not going to leave without a fight of some sort; my VERY strong preference is that he gets voted out as I think there needs to be some sort of repudiation of the military if Thailand is ever going to make progress. And, like a good believer in Democracy that I am, I genuinely believe that an election is going to happen here, if not in November, then in February, if not in February, then some time after that. In my view, Thailand has had a history of elections and it has already permeated the Thai culture to the point where no government can attain legitimacy without one anymore. Think about it; it is widely accepted that both Thaksin and Yingluck were generally freely and fairly elected, so that is the standard. What Thai leader of today or tomorrow is going to be considered 'legitimate' if they can't meet that standard? None of them. And, they know it.

So, to me the question is whether the election is 'free and fair' enough to take part in. I tend to leave that question to the Thais as I think they have a better feel for Thailand than I do. My greatest fear is that they get suckered into participating in an election that turns out to be rigged, and then the Junta claims legitimacy; that would be a terrible outcome. 

So, I would favour not participating in an election unless I knew that there was a fair process and that it wasn't going to be rigged, at least too badly. and, if that means delaying the election longer, so be it.

Two other points;

I am not sure if this is a compliment or not, but you are getting the hang of impersonating Prayut quite well; I can hear the whine in the written words! Er... sorry. ?

Secondly, I think you are being a bit harsh on the Thais. They come from a different culture than we do, one where 'rebelling' is foreign and frowned upon. They will, in their own manner, 'rebel' when the time is right for them. And, as difficult as it sometimes is, we non-Thais have to leave that decision to them.

Period. Full-stop. End of story.

Finally, there is that which can't be discussed. Nuff' said.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

As much as I wish it were not the case, I tend to agree with you that Prayut and his gang would try to stay on. Further, he likely would be able to stay on, for a while. How long is a while? That is the 64 million dollar question.

I think we all agree that he is not going to leave without a fight of some sort; my VERY strong preference is that he gets voted out as I think there needs to be some sort of repudiation of the military if Thailand is ever going to make progress. And, like a good believer in Democracy that I am, I genuinely believe that an election is going to happen here, if not in November, then in February, if not in February, then some time after that. In my view, Thailand has had a history of elections and it has already permeated the Thai culture to the point where no government can attain legitimacy without one anymore. Think about it; it is widely accepted that both Thaksin and Yingluck were generally freely and fairly elected, so that is the standard. What Thai leader of today or tomorrow is going to be considered 'legitimate' if they can't meet that standard? None of them. And, they know it.

So, to me the question is whether the election is 'free and fair' enough to take part in. I tend to leave that question to the Thais as I think they have a better feel for Thailand than I do. My greatest fear is that they get suckered into participating in an election that turns out to be rigged, and then the Junta claims legitimacy; that would be a terrible outcome. 

So, I would favour not participating in an election unless I knew that there was a fair process and that it wasn't going to be rigged, at least too badly. and, if that means delaying the election longer, so be it.

Two other points;

I am not sure if this is a compliment or not, but you are getting the hang of impersonating Prayut quite well; I can hear the whine in the written words! Er... sorry. ?

Secondly, I think you are being a bit harsh on the Thais. They come from a different culture than we do, one where 'rebelling' is foreign and frowned upon. They will, in their own manner, 'rebel' when the time is right for them. And, as difficult as it sometimes is, we non-Thais have to leave that decision to them.

Period. Full-stop. End of story.

Finally, there is that which can't be discussed. Nuff' said.

Super post, Samui (as always). Always well thought-out and cogent. Thanks by the way, for the compliment, about my pretty accurately imitating Prayut's verbal patterns!

I really agree with this comment you made: 'My greatest fear is that they [the Thais] get suckered into participating in an election that turns out to be rigged, and then the Junta claims legitimacy; that would be a terrible outcome.'

Absolutely, 1,000% correct. That is the nightmare scenario.  I could not agree with you more.

• Like 1

Surely no one expects Prayut to just give up power. The Thai military is always poised to grab the country from elected officials anytime it pleases. It would be more cost-effective to stay with a permanent junta government. The Thai public doesn't seem to care. Democracy has never been especially popular here. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Wow!

Good on you, Nation!

This is the key.

The Junta cannot, in my view, continue to govern without a legitimate mandate from the Thai people. No, it wouldn't be perfect, but in order to continue the Junta needs to 'win' an election, and 'win' a relatively 'free and fair' election. Without it, they are merely power-stealing thugs, and dishonourable power-stealing thugs at that...

I have been saying this for a while, but Political Parties have power if they are willing to use it; they are the ones who will confer 'legitimacy' or not. If they participate in the process, that makes it legitimate. If they do not, they demonstrate it is a sham.

Political parties need to start speaking up about the process and making it clear that their participation requires a fair process. If they don't, then they cannot complain after the fact.

Political parties; you have power, but do you have the balls to use it? 

For the sake of Thailand and her future development, I sincerely hope you do, but we all need to see that nerve/courage/moral fortitude demonstrated.

And sooner rather than later...

It wouldn't be called  a Junta if it had a mandate from the people.

Pity the Nation wasn't more outspoken during the Bangkok shutdown and immediately after the coup.

But they weren't. And only now are they trying to present themselves as friends of democracy.

Carpetbaggers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was on holiday in Indonesia when I came across this guy working in the restaurant I was shock because he looks exactly like Prayut. He was washing up in the kitchen when I walked pass the kitchen to go to the toilet.

For one moment I thought this must be some kind of set up by this Youtube for jokes you know. They get look alike to meet you and see your reaction.

So Prayut is now working as kitchen helper in Indonesia. He run away from all the stress? Any work is better than what I was doing in Bangkok ....he said. If you ask him that is.