Video: The parent's grief: Family receives body of second child victim of balcony fall

Jonathan Fairfield

Video: The parent's grief: Family receives body of second child victim of balcony fall

Screen Shot 2561-06-14 at 16.38.03.png

A Thai mother and Swiss father were shown on Thai TV receiving the dead body of their daughter Chanida Borel, aged 7.

Chanida was the second child to die following the fall of all four of their children from a platform off a balcony that collapsed at a block of flats in Ramkhamhaeng, Bangkok, at the beginning of May. 

Alex Borel, aged 5, died at the scene.

Chanida or Dani died on Monday after fighting for her life over the last six weeks.

Two elder siblings, a boy and a girl, aged 11, have survived. One of these Luka Borel, aged 10, was present at the start of three day funeral rites for Chanida that began on Thursday. She will be cremated Saturday.

Luka's mother Ratikan Prakaikaew was interviewed by a reporter in which she told her son that it was not his fault. 

Marcel Borel - the Swiss father who is an English teacher in Bangkok - also spoke. 

He clearly believed that he thought his daughter would pull through but fighting back tears he had to admit that she was now gone. 

The mother and father have reportedly been involved in acrimonious disputes over custody. 

The children were home alone when the accident occurred after midnight. Grandparents were staying in another flat when the children fell from the fourth floor.

The mother was out at the night shift at a hotel. A platform reportedly used to drain plates collapsed. 

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-14

"The mother and father have reportedly been involved in acrimonious disputes over custody. "

I question the wisdom of reporting on this at such a tragic time.    No need to bring in family disputes  after the death of these children. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, watcharacters said:

"The mother and father have reportedly been involved in acrimonious disputes over custody. "

I question the wisdom of reporting on this at such a tragic time.    No need to bring in family disputes  after the death of these children. 

It's at the very root of why this happened. The father was denied access, despite a court ruling, and the mother handed over responsibility of the kids to thier grandparents who were not up to the task and left them alone while the mother was out working.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's at the very root of why this happened. The father was denied access, despite a court ruling, and the mother handed over responsibility of the kids to thier grandparents who were not up to the task and left them alone while the mother was out working.

Sorry but  once more  i find that quite a leap.

There was an obvious issue with a grate on a balcony on which the children were standing.    They died tragically.

Are you saying it is the fault of the relationship between the parents which needed to be reported?

I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

On 6/16/2018 at 2:52 AM, Aussieroaming said:

RIP and i hope for the sake of the surviving children that these 2 can at least work together to ensure the kids have some shared parental coverage.

Well said, my thoughts too.

On 6/15/2018 at 3:01 PM, watcharacters said:

Sorry but  once more  i find that quite a leap.

There was an obvious issue with a grate on a balcony on which the children were standing.    They died tragically.

Are you saying it is the fault of the relationship between the parents which needed to be reported?

I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

do you think they would have been living in that shithole had they been with their father?