Import duty and customs fees for tab from HK

damole

There are a lot of threads here on this topic so a search might yield additional information.

I purchased a similar device, with a similar price, from GearBest, it shipped out of Shenzen to HKG and on the BKK via DHL. I think I paid ~ 7% on delivery? It wasn't exactly equivalent to VAT (7%), but it was within a few baht either way?

On the Aliexpress official Chuwi store it's $199 or $219 (w/case), on Banggood for $219 and now I've found it on Lazada for $284.

If I was charged 7% it would be a better deal to go with Aliexexpress.

My brother is on his way to China on one of his regular business trips and will ask one of the techs there to check out the price there but he says often things are not actually that cheap there.  I won't see him until I'm back in the UK in August would be the drawback of that option.

Has anybody else imported anything recently?

I just received a package from the US yesterday containing several notebooks and mobile phones via FEDEX. I have had similar shipments multiple times using mainly FEDEX (but some DHL and TNT). So long as the devices are declared correctly and the CIF shipment value is below THB40,000 the only charge will be precisely 7% VAT on the CIF value. DHL has a small customs clearance charge on top of the VAT disbursement but FEDEX doesn't.

Here is the receipt from FEDEX. There is also an official customs receipt attached for the same amount.

FEDEX.thumb.jpg.c19914bb6cc302c4646f26a2e3f7b695.jpg

I have no experience buying from Bangood but have had hundreds of shipments from Aliexpress sellers. They all routinely under declare the customs value or just omit the value entirely. If you have the device shipped via China Post Airmail, I would say that there is a better than 95% chance it will be delivered to your door by Thai Post without charge. Worst case, you will receive a note asking you to come to your local post office to collect your parcel after paying 7% VAT.

Thanks you for the info.  I always thought I remembered seeing negative experiences about customs especially items were shipped via international couries and not regular post.  7% is fine. 

I just got back from India and ordered some personal items there and was charged between 48-53% by customs via DHL.

1 hour ago, damole said:

Thanks you for the info.  I always thought I remembered seeing negative experiences about customs especially items were shipped via international couries and not regular post.  7% is fine. 

I just got back from India and ordered some personal items there and was charged between 48-53% by customs via DHL.

Bear in mind that though most electronics etc. are duty exempted, some other commodities are not. Also you need to be careful mixing duty exempted and dutiable items in the same shipment if using courier services for customs clearance. If you stick to electronics and IT products, and you declare them correctly, you will be fine.

• Like 1