Signature campaign for convenience stores and malls to charge for plastic bags

webfact

19 minutes ago, mikecha said:

Every country needs a starting point to this plastic bag issue

in india they fined my coleague for still producing plastic bags big time/  plastic bag ban now

glad to see  that plastic  bags will be reduced .

Hasn't India continued using Tiffin Tins? They were very common in Thailand until plastic reared it's ugly head I believe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1337markus said:

The process starts with educating the check out person who seems so happy to wrap every small item in a plastic bag, what normally could fit into 2 bags you struggle to grip 7 bags as you leave the supermarket.

And that bit is easy and actually, I've been doing it for a while now anyway. When they've put 1 small item in a bag and then reach for another bag, simply tell them not to and to put it all together.

And insist on it if they waver!

Mind you I did that once and the cashier put everything in one bag as I'd asked, smiled and threw the second bag away - TIT! :crying:

• Like 1

First steps - but you have to start somewhere. All carrier bags should be taxed and customers pay for it. If a bag is worth 1 baht, most thais will keep it to save money and use again. Reusable bags could be subsidised to encourage purchase. Also incentive like you used to have at Tesco in the UK, where if you bring your own bag you got a penny off.

Next - deposits on bottles. Then - tax disposable cups. Then straws. Encourage more recycling. All this will also provide more employment. What the government needs to realise, is the cost of cleaning up all the plastic litter (cleaning klongs, sewers etc) would be reduced. In the long run, actually better for the economy than making more plastic bags

• Like 1

Finally! 

I've signed that petition myself and I invite you guys to do the same. For as little as it can be, it's still a step forward. 

Personally, I always refuse plastic bags at seven 11 unless I've got lots of stuff and really need one (which may happen once or twice a year). 

For the big shopping I carry my reusable bags. 

Plastic pollution is one of many major problems here!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

Why would the UK's reduction in plastic waste all of a sudden fix the plastic problem in the oceans?

It's not BS.

You just don't understand the point.  They're encouraging you to bring your own, reusable bag.

By charging extra they are hoping you get all upset and next time bring your own <deleted> bag!

Rubbish literally talking rubbish. I am not going to walk every where with a bad tk buy some things. 

Plus there is still large number of plastic in the seas in UK

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/nov/30/shocking-rise-in-rubbish-washing-up-on-uk-beaches

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, BigC said:

Rubbish literally talking rubbish. I am not going to walk every where with a bad tk buy some things. 

Plus there is still large number of plastic in the seas in UK

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/nov/30/shocking-rise-in-rubbish-washing-up-on-uk-beaches

Well then, you will continue to be the brunt of the problem if you won't lift a lazy finger to help.

Go shopping, bring a bag. What is so difficult about that?

Pointing out that there is a huge plastic problem in the seas around the world doesn't help. That is what people are trying to reduce. To say "I won't do my part because there's a lot of plastic garbage already" is idiocy.

People like you are the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cranky said:

People like you are the problem.  There is plastic everywhere in the Ocean so the comment regarding the UK is irrelevant  - just because one country is 'bad' at something doesn't mean it is OK for another to be slightly 'less bad' as every country and its citizens have to take some responsibility.  I mentioned it before but will repeat it - I stopped using water bottles in favour of the osmosis machines and have reduced my use of water bottles by a staggering 4,300 per year (12 a day for a family) and annual saving of 24,000 baht.  I consider the water to be free now as it is 5 baht for 10 litres so I use my pile of one baht coins left in a jar.  Couple of 10 litre tanks with taps from Makro and you're set and it is actually easier than lugging packs of water around.

So true.

I railed against having to pay for plastic bags for a while, but it's now become second nature to bring a bag shopping - I keep a "bag of bags" by the front door, and another in the car.

When they're worn out - use 'em for general rubbish.

Also have a bag of "single use" water bottles for future use - those that I buy now go in the recycling bin when empty.

The other point is that where I live, in the UK, by the way, the local authority provides the means for me to recycle easily and free. Instead of throwing plastic into the main rubbish "wheelie" bin, I throw it into another, literally green, "wheelie bin". Both bins are emptied weekly - paid for out of Council Tax.

If an authority makes it easy and free, busy then possibly people will do it - otherwise human nature kicks in - I would be and was just the same! 

Sadly, however much rhetoric there is, I don't see Thailand making that much of an effort to make recycling easy in the immediate future - i may be wrong, but I haven't seen it.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 7:29 AM, SOTIRIOS said:

...why don't you call it 'a petition'....???

...and what alternatives are in place...???

...go shopping....how do you propose to carry your purchase home...???

...and what about the street food baggies that are discarded left and right...???

....seems there may be more of those being dumped than shopping bags anyway...

Could reinforce the idea if shops gave a discount on the goods purchased to anyone who brought their own bag and did not get a plastic one from the store

• Like 1

On 6/17/2018 at 10:26 AM, Cranky said:

People like you are the problem.  There is plastic everywhere in the Ocean so the comment regarding the UK is irrelevant  - just because one country is 'bad' at something doesn't mean it is OK for another to be slightly 'less bad' as every country and its citizens have to take some responsibility.  I mentioned it before but will repeat it - I stopped using water bottles in favour of the osmosis machines and have reduced my use of water bottles by a staggering 4,300 per year (12 a day for a family) and annual saving of 24,000 baht.  I consider the water to be free now as it is 5 baht for 10 litres so I use my pile of one baht coins left in a jar.  Couple of 10 litre tanks with taps from Makro and you're set and it is actually easier than lugging packs of water around.

People like you are the problem. You make Shoping a nightmare with your hippie BS

i mentioned UK because they already don’t give plastic bags and it did nothing tk protect marine life

just makes our lives difficult 

world would be Much easier with people like you not in it

21 minutes ago, BigC said:

People like you are the problem. You make Shoping a nightmare with your hippie BS

i mentioned UK because they already don’t give plastic bags and it did nothing tk protect marine life

just makes our lives difficult 

world would be Much easier with people like you not in it

Ignorance on an exponential scale! One country's policies didn't fix the problem overnight, so abandon the effort so your shopping experience is easier, Self rightous______________. Fill in the blank yerself!

What is shoping?

On 6/17/2018 at 4:44 PM, VBF said:

So true.

I railed against having to pay for plastic bags for a while, but it's now become second nature to bring a bag shopping - I keep a "bag of bags" by the front door, and another in the car.

When they're worn out - use 'em for general rubbish.

Also have a bag of "single use" water bottles for future use - those that I buy now go in the recycling bin when empty.

The other point is that where I live, in the UK, by the way, the local authority provides the means for me to recycle easily and free. Instead of throwing plastic into the main rubbish "wheelie" bin, I throw it into another, literally green, "wheelie bin". Both bins are emptied weekly - paid for out of Council Tax.

If an authority makes it easy and free, busy then possibly people will do it - otherwise human nature kicks in - I would be and was just the same! 

Sadly, however much rhetoric there is, I don't see Thailand making that much of an effort to make recycling easy in the immediate future - i may be wrong, but I haven't seen it.

Starting to happen at the schools believe it or not. My school has recycle bins and reverse osmosis drinking fountains, as well as solar panels on the roof. It's happening gradually and very slowly, but it will happen eventually. Now get 7 and Tesco and the public on board!

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2018 at 3:23 PM, Gandtee said:

Hasn't India continued using Tiffin Tins? They were very common in Thailand until plastic reared it's ugly head I believe.

India they could clean up by stopping people shit in the street 

4 hours ago, BigC said:

I don’t understand how plastic makes it from a shop in the middle of Bangkok then ends up in the sea 

Thrown in a canal or the river. Thrown in the street and washed down the drains to the sea.

Collected by people and then tossed over the side of a boat. Blown by the wind. Picked up from the street by birds and deposited into the rivers. On and on and on and on.....................

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2018 at 8:10 PM, duanebigsby said:

Thrown in a canal or the river. Thrown in the street and washed down the drains to the sea.

Collected by people and then tossed over the side of a boat. Blown by the wind. Picked up from the street by birds and deposited into the rivers. On and on and on and on.....................

Not many sea boats in the middle of Bangkok 

if that’s the case it is not the shops fault for giving out bags it’s the person throwing them away

increase the litter fine then simple

if you don’t break the law you get to keep your items in a bag rather than strapped in your trousers and pockets or anywhere you can fit something if you have forgotten your bag

its a BS sceme like speed cameras don’t reduce speed just like flashing atms

20 minutes ago, BigC said:

Not many sea boats in the middle of Bangkok 

if that’s the case it is not the shops fault for giving out bags it’s the person throwing them away

increase the litter fine then simple

if you don’t break the law you get to keep your items in a bag rather than strapped in your trousers and pockets or anywhere you can fit something if you have forgotten your bag

its a BS sceme like speed cameras don’t reduce speed just like flashing atms

I didn't mention sea boats. I suggested the river system is the way crap gets to the ocean. It all washes downstream. You said you didn't understand how plastic makes its way to the ocean. So simple it washes down.

Storm sewers, rivers, wind blown, klongs where people dump it..etc. The rain carries it to the river or canal and into the ocean it goes. Simple really.