PCX shuddering

ezzra

My 5 years old low KM PCX 150 is shuddering badly every morning when i start using

it and it disappear a few minutes later, had looked it couple of times by Honda

mechanics, they tightened up the belt but after a short while it's back again..

any idea how to solve this once and for all?... 

12 minutes ago, johng said:

New belt ?

This already started when the bike had only less than a 1,000 km on it

of course it can be a faulty belt but i was hoping to hear other ideas...

This already started when the bike had only less than a 1,000 km on it
of course it can be a faulty belt but i was hoping to hear other ideas...

A new belt inc oil change will cost you (maybe) less than 1,000b so if I were you, I’d do that anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 years I would also get new wheel bearings. I have had mine changed twice now 6 years. Just push the bike back and forth without you on it you can hear and feell a rubbing sound. But even that 5 years new wheel bearings

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

I recall reading somewhere a while ago that this could be something to do with wear on the variator. 

I also get it on my PCX. 

I have 2 PCX bought at same time, one shudders, New belt fitted OK for 3000 klm back again. Other PCX is smooth. IDK?

OK try this . I have a Forza and in 2016 after 10,000k the bike really juddered on pulling away , when hot it was a whole lot better.  Turned out to be the rollers in the trans. Not under warrantee but should be as fault is all Honda.  Cost 600B to replace . Sad thing is same same this year , another 600B.

I bet you a set of rollers there lies your problem.

this is a common PCX problem.  I had it with mine.  Start the engine, apply both the brakes fully, and apply throttle as if you are moving off, but obviously, dont move.

This cleans it and cures the problem.

It happened often on my PCX.

• Like 2

Common problem with the Honda PCX and many (maybe all?) automatic motorcycles.  Had a PCX for about a year and finally got rid of it largely due to this clutch shudder problem.  Clowns at Mityon Pattaya tried to tell me this shuddering is "normal". 

Sold the PCX and purchased a Suzuki Burgman 200.  It also shudders some but nowhere near as bad as the PCX.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Ezzra,

Dust in the clutch. Very common. It needs a good high speed run 80-100 kph to blow the dust out, Then a few aggressive starts from a standstill. 

It will be fine.

The motorcycle has a centrifugal clutch and as the shoes start to grip they can slip and grip slip and grip. 

You need to find out why, it may be dust or a broken spring, the shoe pivot pins need lubricant or the drum is distorted, it is a clutch problem. 

When I get my bike serviced (oil change) I get them to give the variator/weights and clutch bell housing a once over and clean out, my last owned 8 years Yamaha Nouvo Elegance 135LC sold it on in Mint condition, current Honda Forza 300, same - no issues (I change Engine & Gear oil every 6 months) owing to heat out here and bike may stand 2-3 months sometimes.

Just drop the lads a few baht next time you have oil done to clean these items out and blow out your air filter while doing it. belts should be changed on mileage and personally I go for a better grade kevlar belt like a Malossi or Polini, get better throttle response and traction than the bog standard OE belts

14 hours ago, rosst said:

The motorcycle has a centrifugal clutch

No way? I thought it had a flux capacitor. ?

14 hours ago, rosst said:

as the shoes start to grip they can slip and grip slip and grip. 

Yes because of dust in the clutch. 

As I said quite common needs a good blow out and a few good hard starts to de-glaze the shoes.

• Like 1

Mine does the same thing. After 2 months it started shaking after take off. Honda took it apart and cleaned everything. Worked good for a few days and started all over again. I just saw someone say hold the back break and give it gas. I did and it is now very smooth on take offs. Will see how long that fix lasts. 

On 6/16/2018 at 12:17 PM, phetphet said:

I recall reading somewhere a while ago that this could be something to do with wear on the variator. 

I also get it on my PCX. 

Yes variator, I had mine replaced by Honda for it's 24000 klm service. I assume it is part of the service