Braces for 16 year old - Chaiyaphum

glegolo

Hi I am living in Chaiyaphum, but I am looking for your wisdome regarding braces for youngsters here in Thailand. Many times I get far much better advise from you guys then from my thai relatives concerning life here in Thailand. 

So I have been told that the dental care in Thailand do not take this cost, it is considerated to be like Cosmetic... So the families have to pay themselves for braces. The cost I have been told that the dentist charge here is around 500 baht per jaw, per month... This means 1.000 baht per month summing up to some 12.000 baht per year.

Anybody that have experience in this and can recommend something. maybe to be able to save some money....

Thanks guys.

glegolo

ps. Is this a Sheryl-thing??

Edited by glegolo

2 years of treatment runs about 60K at private dentists in  Bangkok so the amount you cite for Chaiyaphum per year is quite plausible.

I know the government system pays for things like extractions and root canals but I have no idea re orthodontia, possible it is not covered.

Yes, you have to pay it by yourself and about 1000 per month is a normal price (and some initial payment to install them), so total cost will sum up to about 40k at "normal" clinics. Some "famous" clinics might of course charge more than that so then 60k as Sheryl mentioned are possible. You can save a bit of money if you get x-rays at a government hospital using the government health care.

Edited by jackdd

Not Chaiyaphum, but the cost of my son's treatment with braces was a fixed cost of 27,000, this was paid at 1,000 per visit, which was usually monthly and once the first 27 months were up then there were no further charges, even though he does still have the braces in, there might be some cost involved for retainers later, this I am not sure about yet.

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

2 years of treatment runs about 60K at private dentists in  Bangkok so the amount you cite for Chaiyaphum per year is quite plausible.

I know the government system pays for things like extractions and root canals but I have no idea re orthodontia, possible it is not covered.

I know from my two daughters it isnt covered by the government, you have to pay for it

Wife got full set of braces at a small but very busy private dentist office in Nakhon Ratchasima starting May 2015.   The Doc estimated about 60,000 and it would take more than 2 years at her age, condition of her teeth and existing dental repairs.   Sure it's easier and faster for a younger person.

20,000 - Initial deposit, 5k/month first 4 months.

30,000 - 30 months @ 1,000/month.

1,200 - Reduced monthly fee April 2018 until complete @ 400/month. 

51,200  - Paid in so far. 

Doc says another 6 months, maybe a bit less, so it will wind up at or near the original estimate.  I don't know about Europe, but I thought 60,000 Baht spread over a few years, was very reasonable.