Has the Darkside lost it’s sparkle?

getithere328

I already said I was stopped there twice for a licence check, but have never been stopped locally, ie Kao noi, Kaotalo, Nern Plubwan area for anything, never seen any checks in those areas. Out every day, so how much more should I get out? What area do you live anyway? Where are all these checks/road blocks, drug searches etc being conducted?
The checks seem to be night time so if you're tucked up in bed you'll miss them. When i was receiving the checkpoint alerts the railway line came up frequently, that was a few months ago, probably still going on.

Anyway its no issue if you're legal, apart from the time wasted. I was stopped 11 times in Pattaya in a few months, the policeman always look disappointed when i gave them my licence
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I already said I was stopped there twice for a licence check, but have never been stopped locally, ie Kao noi, Kaotalo, Nern Plubwan area for anything, never seen any checks in those areas. Out every day, so how much more should I get out? What area do you live anyway? Where are all these checks/road blocks, drug searches etc being conducted?

The delivery drivers day and night police hot spot for Pattaya East side is the full length of railway line Rodfai Road.

Like many Thai districts Nongprue operate hit and run check points where they move between random or regular spots.

On the way back from Wat Sutthawas Nongprue yesterday there was a check point at junction of Soi 17 and Soi Siam. A few weeks earlier they were near the 7 at the end of Soi Nern

• Confused 1

On 6/20/2018 at 9:25 PM, KittenKong said:

The main advantage of the lake, as far as I can see, is that it has no bars. As such, I would not mind moving there. Any increase in the number of bars or other entertainment venues just makes it less attractive to me.

Must be a while since you have been out there, there are loads of bars in the vicinity, I can think of over 30 just off the top of my head.

On 6/22/2018 at 3:01 PM, Tagaa said:

The girls in the bars around the lake used to be cute, young and friendly.

Not many of the bars around the lake have ever had cute, young and friendly girls in them!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tagaa said:

August 2010 through March 2014 there were a lot of young cute girls.

What was there before or after I can't say, except for my return visit in August 2017.

Must be a case of differing tastes perhaps, I've lived around the lake since 1999 and it is a rare sight to see a young cute girl around, when one does arrive they tend not to last long, as they find the bright lights of Pattaya complete with young unmarried tourists!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

So from the start I was right when saying that the dark side is a great place for drug or drink driving because cops never check anyone there !

4 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:

The delivery drivers day and night police hot spot for Pattaya East side is the full length of railway line Rodfai Road.

Like many Thai districts Nongprue operate hit and run check points where they move between random or regular spots.

On the way back from Wat Sutthawas Nongprue yesterday there was a check point at junction of Soi 17 and Soi Siam. A few weeks earlier they were near the 7 at the end of Soi Nern

You mean night checks for drug and alcohol ? Never seen in this area...

1 minute ago, grkt said:

So from the start I was right when saying that the dark side is a great place for drug or drink driving because cops never check anyone there !

No you were wrong because the railway road where the checks are is on the dark side

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The manic said:

No.Foreigners from whom they can extort money

Never seen these roving highwaymen (army) prowling for falangs to rob, never heard of it happening to anyone either. What reasons do they use to extort money?

• Like 1

Not saying it never happens, but you make it sound like an epidemic. Stay in bed, you might get robbed, beaten up or hit by a baht bus. You find Thailand so dangerous and corrupt, plenty of other countries to choose. All I know is that in nearly 9 years of driving here, never had money ripped off me yet. Just lucky I guess.

• Like 1

Just now, giddyup said:

Heard don't make it true, in fact calling total BS on this one.

Ask around about the Air Con unit scam. Call total B.S. all you want. I call self delusion. You have bought into the DS I have not. You are fuelled by wishful thinking but I am not. After 28 years here i know a few things...Crime is rampant on the DS which is why people are leaving. Even walled communities are not safe. The DS is not just a tedious SH full of bores....it's now less safe than WS.....After dark especiall.....These crimes especially comited by MC riders and house burglars dont get the Publicity that WS crime gets...Yes the DS is loosing what attraction it had...old hands are leaving quickly and quietly. All you have to do is ask around..why is it so s**t?

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, grkt said:

You mean night checks for drug and alcohol ? Never seen in this area...

I suggest you drive along the train track road more often as according to our driver there was a  checkpoint last night at the. entrance to H7 and a few nights earlier just back from the 3240 crossing. 

Edited by Fruit Trader
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fruit Trader said:

I suggest you drive along the train track road more often as according to our driver there was a  checkpoint last night at the. entrance to H7 and a few nights earlier just back from the 3240 crossing. 

Good. The less drunks on the roads the better.

• Like 1

No way giddyup will believe that. Anyway where were we, oh yeah, the dark side is dog shit. The reason people get excited about the dark side is the locals swear blind its great, where as everyone else knows it isn't. You don't have these arguments about Naklua or South Pattaya etc
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:

There are frequent police checks on the railway roads and have been ever since they were built, mainly because they are used to avoid Sukhumvit.

Personally, I consider the railway roads to be in the twilight zone, not dark, not bright.

If you get deeper in to the darkside then the police checks do get less frequent, especially outside of Songkran or New Year, they do happen from time to time, no doubt about that, the police tend to have splurges, however, you do not see them that often at all, especially lakeside, what is surprising is how quickly they arrive when something does happen on the roads!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

There are frequent police checks on the railway roads and have been ever since they were built, mainly because they are used to avoid Sukhumvit.

Personally, I consider the railway roads to be in the twilight zone, not dark, not bright.

If you get deeper in to the darkside then the police checks do get less frequent, especially outside of Songkran or New Year, they do happen from time to time, no doubt about that, the police tend to have splurges, however, you do not see them that often at all, especially lakeside, what is surprising is how quickly they arrive when something does happen on the roads!

Less money to be made with Thai than with foreigners at Pattaya... So less checks...

41 minutes ago, giddyup said:

We were talking deep in the darkside, not the train tracks which is nearly Sukhumvit, and I said I see very little police presence here, not like Pattaya where there's robberies and bashings every 5 minutes. I love the dark side, it's quiet, the air is fresh, little traffic, plenty of good bars, etc, etc, etc. Pattaya is for mongers and drunks IMO. Do I give a rat's arse what others think about the dark side?

I totally agree with you. I cannot stand Pattaya retarded tourists and trafic anymore.

It would be great if everybody was leaving the dark side to make it even more quiet.

3 minutes ago, grkt said:

I totally agree with you. I cannot stand Pattaya retarded tourists and trafic anymore.

It would be great if everybody was leaving the dark side to make it even more quiet.

Nobodies leaving, we all love it too much.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Nobodies leaving, we all love it too much.

Do you have the names of cheap villages where I could rent for less than 10000 ? I do not live it full time but would like to have a place in the dark side when I am around.

4 minutes ago, grkt said:

Do you have the names of cheap villages where I could rent for less than 10000 ? I do not live it full time but would like to have a place in the dark side when I am around.

I think the only way would be to take a drive around some of the older villages, or look at town houses because most of the houses I see are at least 15000 baht, but there are quite a lot of older villages where the rent would be cheaper. There is usually a sign on the house if it's for rent.

• Thanks 1

A guy i occasionally played golf with rented for 10k for years, darkside somewhere
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
2 hours ago, grkt said:

A guy i occasionally played golf with rented for 10k for years, darkside somewhere

Very informative.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
9 hours ago, grkt said:

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

Very informative.

That is why it,s known as such.....the DARKSIDE.....people do actually live there but rather reluctant to admit or divulge exactly where.......?

• Haha 1