Has the Darkside lost it’s sparkle?

getithere328

I’ve been visiting Thailand since 2004 and over that time I have done the bright lights of central Pattaya and the other delights on offer. As time went on I found that the Darkside, particularly lake Mabprachan, was a nicer place to spend my time.

My last visit was in 2014, I did notice that the lake has changed then, the bars seemed to be struggling, no doubt the poor exchanged rate (even worse now) didn’t help their cause given the amount of expats there.

However, I enjoyed a good few nights around the lake and particularly liked the Venue bar. From what I hear, the Venue has closed due to the new motorway and the lake is pretty much dead.

I’d be interested in hearing what peoples options are about Lake Mabprachan as it is today. I’m due to come over in July and wondering whether to stay around the lake or give it a miss.

If anyone has any pictures of the new road near the old Venue bar then that would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I always thought that the darkside stopped way before the lake.

The main advantage of the lake, as far as I can see, is that it has no bars. As such, I would not mind moving there. Any increase in the number of bars or other entertainment venues just makes it less attractive to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

The main advantage of the lake, as far as I can see, is that it has no bars. As such, I would not mind moving there. Any increase in the number of bars or other entertainment venues just makes it less attractive to me.

Wouldn't it have been better to stay in Blighty? (or wherever).

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, getithere328 said:

I’ve been visiting Thailand since 2004 and over that time I have done the bright lights of central Pattaya and the other delights on offer. As time went on I found that the Darkside, particularly lake Mabprachan, was a nicer place to spend my time.

I would have first visited around the same time - the place has definitely gone downhill since then.  After a few rowdy nights in Pattaya I found it a pleasant place to stay and booked in there on every subsequent trip down that way.

There have been several attempts to re-juvinate the bars and restaurants around the lake, none seem to have been very successful.  The last time I was there, The Peacock was looking more promising than it had on previous attempts but the main road to Pattaya being blocked lower down was a major hassle - passing customers must be non-existent.

My feeling is that it will never return to what it used to be but maybe that's not a bad thing.  A few restaurants to service the residents of the nearby developments might be more appropriate.

• Like 1

My old man lived in Pong when the Lake Mabprachan road had nothing and Soi Siam and Nampapa were mostly lights out by 7pm. Cant remember it ever being much more than a few same face beer bars.

We often drive that way to Nongprue stadium and notice that the Pong Municipality have spent a fortune on the lake side recreation areas. Looks nice from the street.

Edited by Fruit Trader

Wouldn't it have been better to stay in Blighty? (or wherever).

In most respects Europe (including the UK) is indeed much better than here. Having just returned from the UK I was mortified by the high prices in supermarkets here, and the appalling lack of choice. It really is terrible: like living post-war.

Income tax in Europe is a big downside though.

I think what’s better or worse is very subjective and down to individual circumstances/expectations.
Personally, six months in the UK and six months in Thailand would be the ideal situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

In most respects Europe (including the UK) is indeed much better than here. Having just returned from the UK I was mortified by the high prices in supermarkets here, and the appalling lack of choice. It really is terrible: like living post-war.

Income tax in Europe is a big downside though.

+1

Accommodation and sex costs are the other 2 factors.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, KittenKong said:

You sound fun. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I would have first visited around the same time - the place has definitely gone downhill since then.  After a few rowdy nights in Pattaya I found it a pleasant place to stay and booked in there on every subsequent trip down that way.

There have been several attempts to re-juvinate the bars and restaurants around the lake, none seem to have been very successful.  The last time I was there, The Peacock was looking more promising than it had on previous attempts but the main road to Pattaya being blocked lower down was a major hassle - passing customers must be non-existent.

My feeling is that it will never return to what it used to be but maybe that's not a bad thing.  A few restaurants to service the residents of the nearby developments might be more appropriate.

The peacock has closed down an s reopened two or three times in 5 years. It hasn't been the Peacock for many years.

Prices are only high here If you buy imported western food.

You are forgetting just about every other manufactured or processed item, almost all of which are expensive here (or simply non-existent).

If you remove imported food there is not a great deal of much interest left, and even locally produced food often costs more here than it does in Europe. Lettuce is just one example but there are dozens of others like beer, milk, bread, baked products, ........ the list goes on and on.

14 hours ago, The manic said:

The peacock has closed down an s reopened two or three times in 5 years. It hasn't been the Peacock for many years.

I am aware of that but on at least one of those re-incarnations it was called The Peacock again. As far as I know its has remained in the same ownership throughout and has been let out.

I can't say I disagree with the sentiment expressed. I was there last August & made the rounds of most of the places I used to go when I lived there. I was bored to the floor. No customers & mostly unfriendly staff.

The girls in the bars around the lake used to be cute, young and friendly. Most of what I saw on my last visit were overweight, middle aged women, that seemed to be put out if you asked for another beer. Years past if your beer was more than half gone they were asking if you wanted another.

16 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I am aware of that but on at least one of those re-incarnations it was called The Peacock again. As far as I know its has remained in the same ownership throughout and has been let out.

Same ownership but different management.

The dark side never had sparkle.  It has no attraction now.  No energy. No new blood. No attractions.  No public transport. No excitement. Just a depressing place. Police checks, army checks and criminals and the faded and washed out golfing types who hate Pattaya and hate Thailand.

• Confused 1