Traffic Cops

I know that all farangs are supposed to carry their passport around with them whilst in Thailand, but lets be honest, who does?

Has any farang ever been stopped in the street by a traffic cop and been asked:

"Where are you going?"

"What are you doing?"

"Can I see your passport?"

I've been in Thailand for 8 months now and also visited previously on many occasions. I am currently working in BKK with just a tourist visa, as is the common story. Near where I live there is a police box/booth, where the traffic cops sit and monitor what's going on. Everyday I pass and wonder if/when they're gonna jump out from their box and ask me the afore mentioned questions..

Does anyone else have the same worries or have experienced this?

What was the outcome?

Edited by ant1970

I've been driving here for several years around Bangkok and the provinces, I've been stopped by the cops a few times when I've done something wrong which is fair enough and a fine has to be paid.

They ask to see your license, but never been asked for my passport. Some of the hyper paranoid people on this board will tell you otherwise but I wouldn't worry about it.

Makes sure your stickers are up to date on the windscreen and you should be fine.

Actually I was referring to being stopped by the traffic cops, not for any motoring issue, but about being asked to produce passport on the street whilst walking.. In other words, are the traffic cops "interested" in asking those type of questions (assuming I am not behaving suspiciously for any other reason).

With immigration in Thailand being a police controlled department (unlike other countries). I was wondering if anyone had been stopped in the street by a traffic cop and asked to produce passport and get asked "where are you going?" "what are you doing?" etc.

I've done this in another thread but here goes. I was once, probably about 12 years ago, stopped while walking through a group of police officers pulling over motorcyles. I was just strolling 5 minutes round the corner to the market with the wife but without my passport. One of them asked for the passport and let the wife go back to get it. He was very friendly but he did ask a few questions about how long I'd been in the country etc. He warned me that I should carry the passport at all times and sent me on my way.

One of them asked for the passport and let the wife go back to get it. He was very friendly but he did ask a few questions about how long I'd been in the country etc.

Out of common courtesy the Police officer should have asked the Wife to re-locate the Passport. I'm pleased to hear there are honest people in the Kingdom.

Perhaps there is a fine for not carrying a passport on one's person?

Thaimee. :o

Located some six inches immediately below this thread (as we speak) is another thread titled "Fine for Not Carrying Your Passport" with 3 pages devoted to this subject.

A little research goes a long way sometimes. :o

I suggest all long stayers should get a Thai driving licence, even if you do not plan to drive. It is a useful ID that most authorities will accept.

It has your photo and a reference to you passport number.

I have never been asked for my passport on a casual stop by the police, only in the case of an accident, but that is not to say that it will not happen with the heightened worries about terrorists.