Help Please Guys

6 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Rubbish, it's no more "tiresome" than sending the Embassy an email!   It's only "stupidly expensive" if you think that £52 towards getting a 12 month extension is a lot of money.  It isn't.

Quite right.  My last one took a matter of minutes to prepare and e mail and  the letter  was back to me, by EMS post, in less that 5 days . Well worth the charge for  what is an excellent service  For once, it couldn't be easier to interact with the Embassy.  The US Citizens seem to have all kinds of trouble with this letter business , so all credit to the UK Embassy staff and  process. 

I stand corrected re the rental income, though I will say I am surprised that they accept it, for the reason I stated. I let my Canadian rental income accumulate for 12 months, then transfer it here annually. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Well what the hell?  Why are they always sending people off to embassies outside of Thailand if it can all be done at immigration?

Because - If you are in Bangkok, it is as easy as meeting the written requirements.  If you are trying for a Non-O stamp in Pattaya, however, it can be very frustrating, as the requirements are not as written, and vary widely over time. 

For example, you will need an MFA-stamp on your embassy-income letter, and you will need your money "in the bank" seasoned for 60-days.  Neither of these is required in Bangkok (Chang Wattana office).

The good news, is someone recently managed to get their Non-O paperwork accepted and sent to Bangkok for approval in Jomtien using an income letter (which I and others could not do the year before).  The success-story is here - may have some useful info to @Kevinnyali:

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 6:01 PM, Kieran00001 said:

You can't get the Non immigrant visa in Pattaya, you will have to get that bit done outside of Thailand, either in your home country before you leave or by going to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia etc after you arrive, but the rest can be done back in Pattaya and is all pretty straight forward.

This is incorrect. I just applied for a Non-Immigrant "O" for the purpose of retirement at Chonburi Immigration Soi 5 Jomtien. Getting the 60 day tourist visa is done outside of the country normally. The Non-Immigrant "O" can be done at a Thai Immigration office. See my thread on "Report" Do it yourself retirement visa and extension.

12 minutes ago, bahtboy said:

I have never had this letter "certified" and Immigration have always accepted it without question. 

That is because you were applying for an extension of stay not a non immigrant visa at immigration. It is only required for the visa application.

• Like 1

Reading this and so many other posts, and conflicting advice,  people need not wonder why some just give up and go and live somewhere else, or never seriously consider Thailand, past doing an bit of research on the visa and stay process.  Three of my friends, previously planning to retire to Thailand have given up on this place and located  to other hot/sunny locations.  All have been welcomed in their new home countries with a very easy long term visa/stay process, that doesn't include jumping through ever changing and complex hoops just to stay and spend their retirement money.  Maybe one day Thailand will  wake up, buck up and try to accommodate retirees who bring wealth and investment into the country,  but I somehow doubt that will ever happen.  If it wasn't for my close family connections here,  and a promise made many years ago to a lady who has stood by me for that length of time, I wouldn't consider living here for a minute. 

• Like 2

On 6/20/2018 at 3:33 AM, Kevinnyali said:

I have already opened a bank account with Bangkok bank.

would you mind giving the forum some details on your opening of the bank account ?  what year did you open it ? were you on a visa exempt entry (30 day) or a tourist visa when you opened it ?  would you mind disclosing the branch ? (i assume it is in/around pattaya).  and what did they require ?  as an example, i had to provide a copy of rental agreement (with cover letter from landlord) and i had to go to my embassy to get a paper saying my passport is real/not a fake. 

the bank account topic comes up often on the forum as it has become more difficult to open them in the last year or so.  it helps to know which bank (we know that already), the branch, requirements, etc...

10 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

It's not as difficult as it's made out to be. People are easily confused and there is some bad advice on here that's all.

The hoops aren't that complicated for retirees.

That may well be so , but when you have choices it doesn't take much to make you go some place else.  A less than stellar holiday can do it, or reading a stream of negative or complex to understand posts over a number of months.  Perception is as important as the actuality, something those in authority seem unable or unwilling to acknowledge. 

9 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

That may well be so , but when you have choices it doesn't take much to make you go some place else.  A less than stellar holiday can do it, or reading a stream of negative or complex to understand posts over a number of months.  Perception is as important as the actuality, something those in authority seem unable or unwilling to acknowledge. 

You are absolutely free to choose to live elsewhere if you find it too much hassle of course.

Yeah, you have 2 choices, put up with it or go somewhere else. No use whinging about it..

• Confused 1

I would get the O-A visa in England before you come. You can enter and leave Thailand during the year and each time you come back you'll get a year extension unless they change the rules. At the end of the O-A you leave the country and get a non-immigrant O when you return that is good for another year.

I have not had problems getting my visa renewed every year - 1,900 for the non-immigrant O plus costs of bank letter and Embassy letter.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 5:37 PM, glegolo said:

You will be just fine doing this yourself and NOT pay that 25.000 baht...

, UbonJoe will shortly answer you...

glegolo

I never had an agent and I am getting an extension every year since 2009

23 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

It's not as difficult as it's made out to be. People are easily confused and there is some bad advice on here that's all.

Paradise is in your heart.

I am living in Thailand since 1986 and I never had any problem...but of course I also did not cause problems

Yes bureacratic paperwork can be frustrating but I have repeated many times in this forum that if you compare with other countries between Afghanistan and Japan...Thailand is the easiest country to live for law abiding foreigners

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 6:08 PM, ubonjoe said:

You are wrong. It can be applied for at any immigration office.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Spot on Joe  I have a tourist visa now and the kind lady at immigration told me to come back to her at the immigration office to get my non-immigrant visa next time

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:43 PM, likerdup1 said:

This is incorrect. I just applied for a Non-Immigrant "O" for the purpose of retirement at Chonburi Immigration Soi 5 Jomtien. Getting the 60 day tourist visa is done outside of the country normally. The Non-Immigrant "O" can be done at a Thai Immigration office. See my thread on "Report" Do it yourself retirement visa and extension.

you didn't apply for a visa but an extension of stay

58 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

I never had an agent and I am getting an extension every year since 2009

A Non-O stamp vs an Extension - two different things.  The difficulty for the Non-O stamp, in particular, varies by office.  An Extension process may also vary by office, but it is generally more consistent and less trouble. 

2 hours ago, dorayme said:

At the end of the O-A you leave the country and get a non-immigrant O when you return that is good for another year.

I don't think this is quite right. If you get an O-A visa you do a border run after almost one year but you're not getting a non-imm O on that run. When you return, you're entering on the nearly-expired O-A visa and getting a one-year permission to stay. After that runs out, just shy of the two year mark, you can get an extension of permission to stay from immigration without doing a border run or getting a non-imm O during a border run.

For someone starting in their home country, and as long as the requirements for an O-A are no problem, the O-A seems like a good option. I don't know if it comes out cheaper or more expensive. One of the advantages of the O-A is you don't need to set up a Thai bank account right away. But if you already have one somehow, then that might make you lean away from going the O-A route.

Its around 6300 B - 700 AED. In my case this works. I will continue to go in and out for work for a while yet. It just allows me to get things set up how i want for the future in Thailand. Not for everyone's situation though i know. The killer was the medical report. I will get that done in Thailand next time. 

On June 23, 2018 at 10:45 AM, Pilotman said:

Reading this and so many other posts, and conflicting advice,  people need not wonder why some just give up and go and live somewhere else, or never seriously consider Thailand, past doing an bit of research on the visa and stay process.  Three of my friends, previously planning to retire to Thailand have given up on this place and located  to other hot/sunny locations.  All have been welcomed in their new home countries with a very easy long term visa/stay process, that doesn't include jumping through ever changing and complex hoops just to stay and spend their retirement money.  Maybe one day Thailand will  wake up, buck up and try to accommodate retirees who bring wealth and investment into the country,  but I somehow doubt that will ever happen.  If it wasn't for my close family connections here,  and a promise made many years ago to a lady who has stood by me for that length of time, I wouldn't consider living here for a minute. 

So where did the three friends go?

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

you didn't apply for a visa but an extension of stay

incorrect.  you go to the 'change visa' desk and you can change/convert your tourist visa to a 90 day non imm O at some thai immigration offices.  then, you do an extension of stay before your 90 days on the non imm O is up.  you don't have to leave thailand to get a non imm O.

Edited by buick

On 6/20/2018 at 6:12 PM, Kieran00001 said:

Well what the hell?  Why are they always sending people off to embassies outside of Thailand if it can all be done at immigration?

I came to live in Chiang Mai almost 18 months ago. Arrived with a 60 day tourist visa and did everything else here. Didn't fancy dealing with so many different bodies (police, doctor, etc) in the UK as much was date sensitive.

On June 23, 2561 BE at 10:56 AM, duanebigsby said:

Yes. The process isn't that difficult. Wading through some of the threads on TV makes it seem difficult because so many people who post are clueless and feel compelled to spread their "wisdom" far and wide.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1