WATCH: This video reveals one of the reasons why so many people die on Thailand's roads

webfact

4 hours ago, AlexRich said:

This phenomena is not just a Thai issue, it's happening all over the world, especially with car drivers. It is absolute lunacy. 

This is a forum about Thailand. And it happens in Thailand more than anywhere.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 0815 said:

I guess the dangerous weapons here are called Pickup truck, truck, mini-van, bus..

More than 80 percent of people killed on Thai roads are driving a motorcycle. Many driven by morons such as this woman who doesn't mind putting the child in danger as long as she can check for messages on LINE.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlexRich said:

This phenomena is not just a Thai issue, it's happening all over the world, especially with car drivers. It is absolute lunacy. 

Dunno where you've been but I never once saw a biker using a cellphone in UK or France. Probably because those countries have strict enforcement and severe deterrents. Also their people are born with the common sense gene.

51 minutes ago, ttrd said:

It seems to have been a disconnetion somewhere so something was obviously free of connection…:whistling:

Wiki - "The human brain has a huge number of synapses. Each of the 1011 (one hundred billion) neurons has on average7,000 synaptic connections to other neurons. It has been estimated that the brain of a thai has about 4

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The shocking footage is believed to have been taken in Phuket on Wednesday, with the clip shared to the Phuketalive Facebook page.

There's nothing shocking about this, I see it every day.

The only thing that stands out is that there's just one kid on the bike.

• Like 1

Maybe they don't need the death penalty in Thailand

Nature will always take its course,   just may need to wait, a little bit. :coffee1:

Don't you just love the way they take care of there babies. :bah:

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1

Not surprising that an average of 50 people on motor bikes die every day  in Thailand and those are only those who die at the scene of the accident.

How many spend the rest of their lives as a virtual vegetable we dont know neither are those figs available to my knowledge.

No matter how poor, all have to have a cell phone ,a helmet is way down the shopping list as is the welfare of their children

4 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Wiki - "The human brain has a huge number of synapses. Each of the 1011 (one hundred billion) neurons has on average7,000 synaptic connections to other neurons. It has been estimated that the brain of a thai has about 4

It doesnt help much with 4 synaptic connections either if there are no communication what so ever between the 2 hemispheres also named brain halves...:whistling:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sparkles said:

Not surprising that an average of 50 people on motor bikes die every day  in Thailand and those are only those who die at the scene of the accident.

How many spend the rest of their lives as a virtual vegetable we dont know neither are those figs available to my knowledge.

No matter how poor, all have to have a cell phone ,a helmet is way down the shopping list as is the welfare of their children

Most are vegetables before the crash

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

More than 80 percent of people killed on Thai roads are driving a motorcycle. Many driven by morons such as this woman who doesn't mind putting the child in danger as long as she can check for messages on LINE.

1) The caring Thai way.

2)  The selfish pig.

My money is on no 2.

4 minutes ago, ttrd said:

It doesnt help much with 4 synaptic connections either if there are no communication what so ever between the 2 hemispheres also named brain halves...:whistling:

Herein lies the problem;  only one half.

3 hours ago, fimo said:

"Shocking" for some westerners that like to see laws everywhere and for everything ?

Let's give thai people some freedom, they are adult. Why would you like to apply all our western laws to them ? Colonialism ?

No I would just like to share the road with others who care somewhat about theirs and their families lives, and also not have to worry that any second one of these adults(really you dont see kids riding bikes at all) is going to run into me and severely damage me and mine.

Edited by Billy Bloggs
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Most are vegetables before the crash

A little unfair .I once broached the subject with my Doctor.She did part of her early training in an emergency ward and has seen her share of broken bodies.

Certainly she said that a large number of Thais simply dont recognise the possible outcome of driving without care or helmets.

There is also the thought "this could never happen to me"

Of course like many issues environment ,debt,health,safety its matter of education .Driving safety should be a compusory subject at schools.

I despair when I see Thais climbing up bamboo ladders in flip flops with no helmet,there is never fear of death or injury

For many Thais the motor bike is their only form of transportation no matter how many children they have, another contributing factor

Bottom line Thailand is still a 3rd world country unless you are among the elite

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sparkles said:

A little unfair .I once broached the subject with my Doctor.She did part of her early training in an emergency ward and has seen her share of broken bodies.

Certainly she said that a large number of Thais simply dont recognise the possible outcome of driving without care or helmets.

There is also the thought "this could never happen to me"

Of course like many issues environment ,debt,health,safety its matter of education .Driving safety should be a compusory subject at schools.

I despair when I see Thais climbing up bamboo ladders in flip flops with no helmet,there is never fear of death or injury

For many Thais the motor bike is their only form of transportation no matter how many children they have, another contributing factor

Bottom line Thailand is still a 3rd world country unless you are among the elite

Only a little unfair then?

17 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Herein lies the problem;  only one half.

It can never be just one half as one half is a part of 2 as if not is was just one...:whistling:

4 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Another triumph for law enforcement in Thailand.

Here's a good exercise. In our village, there is a 'Police Box. adjacent to the main set of traffic lights.

Past the police box (every day) is a procession of driders without helmets, 3 or more on a m/c, phone-fiddlers while driving, red-light runners, and an estimated 80% without legal licenses to drive.

Nary a policeman to be found. Law enforcement (apparently) is not what they do.

They are all in inactive posts.:shock1:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Their too busy earning money from the schools directing traffic into and out of schools, then its back to the office for a nap, then later on to the Karaoke bars they own, or so I am led to believe.

I never see cops on the road, only mornings and afternoons directing traffic in and out of schools, and the drivers, riders speeding, no helmets, just get waved on, as if to say, keep going....it is what it is, money before lives in Thailand, the free country, "up to you"

"I never see cops on the road". I saw one on R117 about four weeks ago.:shock1:

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

They are all in inactive posts.:shock1:

Nah, they're all attending to what the Thai Police really do... and that is extort money from the Thai people in addition to what the Thai people already pay them for doing a job they have no intention of doing. And it appears that this government, like all Thai governments, have no appetite for changing things, despite laughably claiming that they have removed corruption from Thailand.

Do I believe they really can't see their collective hands in front of their faces? ooh, let me think...

Corruption in Thailand stretches from the very bottom to the very top. Still, its their country and if they don't mind being the laughing stock of the civilised world, I'm quite sure there are other no-hoper, dead-loss countries with lots of pond life that can keep them company at the very bottom of the world pond.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, fimo said:

Certainly not "adult" for you because you have the boring western state of mind.

Please respect thai people and let them choose their way of life. Thailand is not your country.

I don't care whose country it is, I will not respect these morons on motorbikes sharing the pavement with me, or the stupid parents who hand their ten year old kids the key to their motorbike.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Nah, they're all attending to what the Thai Police really do... and that is extort money from the Thai people in addition to what the Thai people already pay them for doing a job they have no intention of doing. And it appears that this government, like all Thai governments, have no appetite for changing things, despite laughably claiming that they have removed corruption from Thailand.

Do I believe they really can't see their collective hands in front of their faces? ooh, let me think...

Corruption in Thailand stretches from the very bottom to the very top. Still, its their country and if they don't mind being the laughing stock of the civilised world, I'm quite sure there are other no-hoper, dead-loss countries with lots of pond life that can keep them company at the very bottom of the world pond.

I would not bother too much about the corruption, I will just make it work for me whenever it suits me.:clap2: