Nine arrested in Phuket drunk-driving campaign

webfact

Nine arrested in Phuket drunk-driving campaign

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

IMG_9172.jpeg

Nine people have been arrested during random checks last night (June 21)around Phuket Town.

A team from the Phuket City Police set up a checkpoint from 8.30pm to 11.30pm on Pa Lean Road in Phuket Town to enforce traffic rules and conduct random alcohol breath tests.

88 drivers had alcohol breath tests. Nine of them were found over the alcohol limit. Probably the most disturbing statistic to emerge from the random checks is that one in ten of the drivers checked were over the legal alcohol limit – an astonishingly high number if extrapolated across the island.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/nine-arrested-in-phuket-drunk-driving-campaign

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-06-22

Interestingly, all those arrested are Thai (noted in the actual article.)

Obviously had they been of foreign extraction it would probably have made the weekly 'farang bashing' headline news.

CANDA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

Only nine??....They're not really trying!

I agree I reckon 499 per night sounds better Prob the 9 they caught had no money to pay the cops. I see so many  Thais that come into wife's restaurant and when they leave they are absolutely hammered from whiskey and beer They still get behind that wheel and drive I tried one time to stop them saying to one of them "Who is driving" They pointed to the guy asleep on the table drunk. One guy actually crawled to his car he was so drunk and he still drove home Wife said to me stay out of it they will get angry with you Just let them do what they want and sadly the cops let them do what they want also.

• Like 1

brother in law got caught last week in bkk. he's not the most popular at the minute. he woke the sister in law up at 4am and she had to go pay 30k to get him out. he's been walking around all sheepishly ever since. i told him he'd get done eventually, did he listen, nah 5555

Only time I ever drink and drive is if it's raining. You KNOW there won't be any checkpoints in the rain!

P.S. I actually NEVER drink and drive for those of you who don't get my ribbing the BiB's.

On 6/23/2018 at 10:30 PM, Psimbo said:

Cops do nothing - people whinge. Cops do something- people whinge- just another Thaigeezer kind of day!

But if the cops did something about the transport mafia here, perhaps there would not be such a high incidence of drink drinking.

I know you are an advocate of a Pattaya style baht bus system here, Psimbo.  We can only hope, which would go a long way to stopping the road carnage here.  ?

On 6/24/2018 at 2:50 PM, Happy enough said:

brother in law got caught last week in bkk. he's not the most popular at the minute. he woke the sister in law up at 4am and she had to go pay 30k to get him out. he's been walking around all sheepishly ever since. i told him he'd get done eventually, did he listen, nah 5555

Must have been the unlucky day he got caught. Cops in Ubon you could stagger right out in front of them blind drunk and get behind the wheel of a car  and drive and still, they do nothing