BIOS/POST and Boot Splash on "Wrong Display"

JaiMaai

I've just reinstalled windows on a PC and everything is working properly; except for one small glitch.

The PC is built around an ASRock 960GB-VGS3 FX and an Nvidia GT730 graphics card.

The VGA output is connected to a standard monitor and the HDMI output is connected to a TV.

When the machine starts, it displays the BIOS/POST screen on the HDMI output.  The monitor doesn't display anything until the logon screen.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but how can I make the VGA output the primary one at system start.  I'm assuming that it's a BIOS issue and not Windows???

Both displays are connected to the graphics card.  I think the onboard graphics is disabled.  If it's as simple as enabling the onboard and using that then I'm happy.

I'll check that now.

I have this problem too but less severe and it could not be helped. There were no settings of boot preference. I got 3 screens connected to a Nvidia GT 1060, 2 of the screens are on its side.. and it chose one of the that is on its side. 

As far as I know the order is set and cant be changed (if you use one video card). Only way to change it is to change to what kind of connection you send the signal.. normal vga, dvi or HDMI.

11 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

Both displays are connected to the graphics card.  I think the onboard graphics is disabled.  If it's as simple as enabling the onboard and using that then I'm happy.

I'll check that now.

I asked to confirm you had the monitor connected to graphics card. Best to leave the monitor connected to the graphics card.

Check your bios setting to select VGA a as the primary.

Just thought of something that might be the problem. What input do you have selected for your TV when booting your computer.

It could that your graphics card is detecting the TV and connecting to it instead of the monitor.

I can see three options for the "Primary Display" in the BIOS: Onboard, PCI, and PCI Express.  whether I select PCI or PCI express, the HDMI output is selected.

When booting, the TV is usually on HDMI 1 for my Android Box, the PC is connected to HDMI2/DVI

47 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

I can see three options for the "Primary Display" in the BIOS: Onboard, PCI, and PCI Express.  whether I select PCI or PCI express, the HDMI output is selected.

When booting, the TV is usually on HDMI 1 for my Android Box, the PC is connected to HDMI2/DVI

Why don't you switch cables at computer side ? as both are HDMI, it will boot from HDMI1 so connect it to HDMI 1

Not an option to switch- unfortunately.

I have one VGA port and one HDMI port on the graphics card. The monitor can take either but there's no VGA on the TV. Besides that, I need to use the HDMI on the TV for the audio.

Sent from my TA-1021 using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

I have one VGA port and one HDMI port on the graphics card.

I think your card also has a DVI port that is the far right one shown here. Does you monitor have DVI as well.

image.png.68bd7e67f7ab65b164f81ee2d2b2898b.png

It seems that for some reason on boot your monitor is not being found.

9 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

Yep.

No DVI input on the monitor.

Searching the Internet found a few other people with similar issues but no solutions.

I also cannot change the order and i got many different ports. It just goes to DVI standard (cant be changed). There is a certain pre programmed order in certain bios models that you just can't change. 

There is a solution, there are VGA to DVI converter parts so you could have your VGA monitor connect to DVI. (at least i seen connectors that change from VGA to DVI)

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I think your card also has a DVI port that is the far right one shown here. Does you monitor have DVI as well.

image.png.68bd7e67f7ab65b164f81ee2d2b2898b.png

It seems that for some reason on boot your monitor is not being found.

Its just that in some bios there is a pre arranged way of sending signal as HDMI is the best it is usually selected for the boot. I got the same problem. It boots on a screen that I don't want it to boot on and no way to change it in the bios.

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

I also cannot change the order and i got many different ports. It just goes to DVI standard (cant be changed). There is a certain pre programmed order in certain bios models that you just can't change. 

There is a solution, there are VGA to DVI converter parts so you could have your VGA monitor connect to DVI. (at least i seen connectors that change from VGA to DVI)

It's not a massive issue.  More of a mild annoyance than a real problem because if the TV's in use then I'm wondering if the PC is actually booting our not for a while but I'll check this option out.

4 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

It's not a massive issue.  More of a mild annoyance than a real problem because if the TV's in use then I'm wondering if the PC is actually booting our not for a while but I'll check this option out.

For me its also not a massive problem its just that the monitor it boots on is on its side (A4) so it reads a bit hard if i want to get in the bios. I would rather have it on the monitor that is in the right position but as I am not going into the bios often its not a big problem.

I did however investigate the problem a lot at first and found that for my bios you could not set the order. So nothing could be done.

53 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

I have many notes from the days configuring my media pc's -

The AMI bios can default to VGA if onboard graphics are selected + the primary adapter scan is set to onboard + monitor is plugged into the motherboard VGA socket.

This forces boot post to use motherboard VGA until the OS takes control of defaults.

NOTE this does not work for all AMI bios motherboard and OS configs.

AMI Primary Graphics Adapter

This item will switch the PCI Bus scanning order while searching for video
card. It allows you to select the type of Primary VGA in case of multiple
video controllers. The default value of this feature is [PCI]. Configuration
options: [Onboard], [PCI] and [PCI Express].

I have many notes from the days configuring my media pc's -

The AMI bios can default to VGA if onboard graphics are selected + the primary adapter scan is set to onboard + monitor is plugged into the motherboard VGA socket.
This forces boot post to use motherboard VGA until the OS takes control of defaults.

NOTE this does not work for all AMI bios motherboard and OS configs.

AMI Primary Graphics Adapter
This item will switch the PCI Bus scanning order while searching for video
card. It allows you to select the type of Primary VGA in case of multiple
video controllers. The default value of this feature is [PCI]. Configuration
options: [Onboard], [PCI] and [PCI Express].
Thanks,

I'll have another play with this later on.

Sent from my TA-1021 using Tapatalk

Well, after playing around with settings in both the Nvidia control panel and the native Windows settings it seems to be working now. I've absolutely no idea what I did to get it to work though.

Hopefully it wasn't just a fluke on that boot...

Sent from my ZX81 using a dial-up modem.

36 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

Well, after playing around with settings in both the Nvidia control panel and the native Windows settings it seems to be working now. I've absolutely no idea what I did to get it to work though.

Hopefully it wasn't just a fluke on that boot...

Sent from my ZX81 using a dial-up modem.

False alarm...

Back to the original behavior.....

Grr....

16 hours ago, MunkyBoogar said:

Try this (Windows 7)

Right click on desktop:

>Personalize

>Display

>Change display settings

>Identify

>Select "Make this my main display" for the identified monitor 

>Click Apply and then restart the computer for a test.

Sorry but that is for windows not for booting.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but how can I make the VGA output the primary one at system start.

Just turn the HDMI TV off before booting.

Nvidia cards default to the HDMI connection if they detect an active monitor on it. Failing that they select DVI or VGA, in order.

The other option would be to re-activate the onboard graphics and connect the VGA monitor to that. That will take priority if it is set to do so in the BIOS, with the Nvidia HDMI output only starting up with Windows.

5 hours ago, MunkyBoogar said:

But did you try it?

Tried several settings in Windows and BIOS - no luck.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Just turn the HDMI TV off before booting.

Nvidia cards default to the HDMI connection if they detect an active monitor on it. Failing that they select DVI or VGA, in order.

The other option would be to re-activate the onboard graphics and connect the VGA monitor to that. That will take priority if it is set to do so in the BIOS, with the Nvidia HDMI output only starting up with Windows.

Turning the TV off doesn't work, only disconnecting the cable. Not a solution anyway as the TV is usually on and being used as a TV.

Archived