Gas Tank Explosion Kills Man at Home

snoop1130

Gas Tank Explosion Kills Man at Home

by CityNews

S__13000716-1600x900.jpg

CityNews – A faulty gas tank exploded in the home of a man in Saraphi, killing him instantly and destroying half his home, Police reported this weekend.

On June 23rd, Police rushed to the scene after an explosion destroyed half a house in Nong Pheung, Saraphi.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/gas-tank-explosion-kills-man-home/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2018-6-25

Sad for the guy but I'm not surpised.  When I bought my house in Thailand I was amazed that the gas cylinder was stored in a purpose made kitchen unit with a roll in/out shelf - its not now!  I use propane for my gas hob in the UK and the cylinders are outside - they have to be!! There are regulations regarding their siting and how close they can be to inflammable materials etc. etc.

I doubt there are any such regulations in Thailand and even if there are - they'll simply be ignored.  Seems quite simple to me - a gas hob anywhere in the vicinity of its supply cylinder is asking for trouble.  I wouldn't have one in my kitchen in the UK even if there weren't any regulations - common sense!

• Like 1

More to this than is reported. The tank did not just explode, it sounds more like it BLEVEed possibly due to being too close to the cooker and a flame impinged upon the cylinder overheating the gas. People forget that the LPG inside the cylinder is in liquid form and any flame hitting the cylinder heats the liquid until in expands and then explodes. Also cylinders must be kept upright when in use, maybe he had it on it's side and instead of vapourising gas coming out it was pure liquid LPG.

• Like 2