Motorcyclist killed in crash with rear of parked truck in Ayutthaya

webfact

Motorcyclist killed in crash with rear of parked truck

By The Nation

A motorcyclist was killed early Tuesday when his bike crashed into the rear of a truck that had been parked on a roadside in Ayutthaya's Bang Pahan district after one of its tyres burst.

Police said the accident happened at 3.30am on Asia highway in Tambon Khayai.

The motorcyclist was identified as Thiradej Suksombat, 26.

The truck driver, Somchai Yokhanan, 33, told police that he had delivered goods to Pathum Thani. He said he was returning home in Lop Buri when a tyre of his truck burst at 9pm Monday. He parked the truck on the roadside, and planned to call a repairman the following morning.

Somchai said the truck's emergency lights had been turned on.

Police said the spot was dark and the motorcyclist did not see the truck.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30348635

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-06-26

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

No, but easy to check.

no, it seems the driver was at the site when the accident happened - waiting for a repair man

about the motorcylist: I see many without rearlight but I don't remember having seen even one without headlight.

in the dark you just cannot drive without

Edited by sweatalot

Just watched a video of the accident site.

It's a six (or eight!) lane divided highway (#32, AH1/2) and the truck even seems to stand on a hard shoulder.

So not much to complain about the truck driver.

Of course the warning lights were on when the video was taken.

Before?
The road as such is totally dark, no street lights.

So now draw your own conclusion.

For me it is speed combined with careless driving and/or intoxication.

Absolutely avoidable as so many such accidents.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

no, it seems the driver was at the site when the accident happened - waiting for a repair man

about the motorcylist: I see many without rearlight but I don't remember having seen even one without headlight.

many motorcyclists go through life iwth a non functioning headlight  (the one resting on 2 shoulders)

58 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

No headlight is rare but still happens.

Some think for the short drive on the highway from one end of the village to the other it doesn't matter.

And then there are those (black) pickups where the driver forgot to switch on any light.

Every drive in the night is straining for me.

Reduce speed and keep an eye on the the road for every fraction of a second.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

Unless you are Thai...

If you ride on a motorcycle, you never exceed the speed which allows you to safely stop when an obstacle comes in sight, with or without light. It is that easy. Think about your crumple zone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Yer but you are not Thai or didn't eat enough carrots when you were young. They come past my house night after night without any lights at all. They eat carrots I know because my mum told me to eat my carrots they would help me see in the dark. Her logic was, rabbits eat carrots and you never see them with glasses!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

If you ride on a motorcycle, you never exceed the speed which allows you to safely stop when an obstacle comes in sight, with or without light. It is that easy. Think about your crumple zone.

Requires a clear untoxicated view and a brain.

• Like 1