Is Nonthaburi a good place to live?

Majestros

Would it be a good place to buy a condo?

I'm looking for something like Bangkok but on a smaller scale in central Thailand. I like to eat good thai food and explore night markets.

I don't really like downtown Bangkok traffic, the bar scene or having a lot of farangs around me.

I'm open to suggestions on other cities in central Thailand to look into.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dddave said:

The completion of the new transit link from Bang Sue/Tha Poon certainly makes the Nontaburi area a more convenient place to live.  Not yet as  over-developed as other areas of Bangkok have become, though that will probably happen over the next ten years.

The suggestion to rent, maybe even a two or three month hotel stay, trying various neighborhoods is wise.

Not only that, Central Westgate and the IKEA added quite a few benefits to living in Nothaburi (or at least my area) all of a sudden I got shops everywhere. I got a Makro close by, (2 KM) and Big C and Central 4Km and soon a big tesco lotus too (got multipe smaller ones but this one looks huge. So my area has improved a lot. I like it that the MRT is there only downside is that traffic has increased too. 

• Like 2

I've got a house off of Ratchapruek near Crystal Mall.  When we got it five years ago, it was like living in the country amidst farms and ponds.  Now, the ponds have been filled in with trash-based foundations, the trees cut down, and housing development after housing development started.  Traffic is getting worse, but it doesn't approach Bangkok bad.

Houses are cheaper for the same square footage in Min Buri.  I bought the place in Nonthaburi because my then job was in Omyai, but if I was simply looking for a place to stay, I'd look Min Buri-way.

• Like 2

You need a condo next to Central Rattanatibet, there's a huge nightmarket right next to it every weekend, it goes on 24 hrs.

Funny that you think nonthaburi is another city, it's just a part of the big apple. 

Nonthaburi was bad because of all the construction going on, the skytrain is running now but it's all still under development.

There's loads of new houses and villages to be found, condo's are growing like mushrooms as well.

'

Nontaburi is a huge area, I live in Pekkret not to far from the Immigration Department and 100 meters outside of the BKK Metropolitan area. There are so many condo developments you would be spoiled for choice. There are Malls within a very short distance hospitals all of the usual Villa and Foodland Makro, Big C and Tesco Lotus within easy comute and a very lively restaurant scene. 

• Like 1

I have lived in the Nonthaburi area for the past 16 years but on the Bangkok side of the river near Ngam Wong Wan shopping Mall whereas Westgate shopping Mall and Nonthaburi Immigration are on the other side of the river but still easily reachable. It takes me about 40 mins by car to reach Immigration for my 90 day checks and renewals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gkroo said:

I have lived in the Nonthaburi area for the past 16 years but on the Bangkok side of the river near Ngam Wong Wan shopping Mall whereas Westgate shopping Mall and Nonthaburi Immigration are on the other side of the river but still easily reachable. It takes me about 40 mins by car to reach Immigration for my 90 day checks and renewals.

Consider posting your 90Day to Nonthaburi Immigration ... 35thb EMS there and 9thb SAE return ...

I have two condos behind Pantip Ngamwongwan, it is quiet and there is a nice market in Tasai (Prachaniwet 3), there are loads of new condos on Ngamwongwan on the same side as the Mall near Khae Lai, and also down towards Tao Poon on Prachacheun.

I like the area nice Restaurants, shopping areas are close and also easy access to places like Ayuthaya and other places outside of Bangkok (in a northernly direction), transport into Bangkok has gotten better since the Skytrain, the only issues is the trip to Immigration for Extensions, but once a year should really be no issue at all.

You will get much better value for money in Nonthaburi. I think it is a very good option for families as you can get a big house in a nice village for around 4 million baht,

and renting would be about 15k a month. The only thing missing is a dedicated foreign nightlife scene, but it really doesn't take long to get into Bangkok. I can be in Silom in 30 minutes. Big shopping centers, some good schools, good choice of restaurants with some western options.

• Like 2

Why Bangkok at first ? Who not completely insane can CHOOSE to live in Bangkok ?

The only idiot millionaire that I know who still live in Bangkok are Thai. Too complicated for them to understand that their kids life would be better near the beach...

• Like 1

I live already 10 years in Muang Thong Thani. Its the best place to stay in Thailand. I stay in a 85m2 European style appartment on the 5th floor there are 2 tenniscourts and a swimmigpool Top security and I pay 13500 Baht rent including maintenane and service fees . You need more than one year to try out all the restaurants, all  the mayor supermarkets , Makro  amd Central shoppingmall in a range of 3 km.  And of thos year Max Vaue will open a 3000 m2,  24/7 open supermarket. Numerous public transport  to downtown bangkok. No barscens to speak of but a few very nice places to spemd a evening.  And you have Impact the biggest Fair and eventhall   in Thailand. Next month  Celine Dion is comming here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, henry15 said:

I live already 10 years in Muang Thong Thani. Its the best place to stay in Thailand. I stay in a 85m2 European style appartment on the 5th floor there are 2 tenniscourts and a swimmigpool Top security and I pay 13500 Baht rent including maintenane and service fees . You need more than one year to try out all the restaurants, all  the mayor supermarkets , Makro  amd Central shoppingmall in a range of 3 km.  And of thos year Max Vaue will open a 3000 m2,  24/7 open supermarket. Numerous public transport  to downtown bangkok. No barscens to speak of but a few very nice places to spemd a evening.  And you have Impact the biggest Fair and eventhall   in Thailand. Next month  Celine Dion is comming here.

I stayed at a MTT studio condo (Building-5) last November while I worked a show at Impact.  Maybe I was in the wrong place but it all seemed really kind of run down with a lot of motorbikes running around the place late at night.

Did find some good street food though.  

Henry15; how far is your condo from Impact? I was surprised how spread out the area was.

7 hours ago, Maradona 10 said:

Night Markets

No bar scene

Makro

Tesco

Tennis

Big C

and wait for it Celine Dion..

This forum truly is nerd central.

Not really, not everyone need girls for sale. People like me like shops like the Makro and big C for day to day shopping. Its easy when they are close. I leave the bar scene for those inclined to it just don't need it. 

• Like 1

Saraburi. Only 1 hour north of Bangkok. Can take a train into Hualampong if you need to visit Bangkok. Nice scenery around the town and all the large malls. 
I'll have to check Saraburi out. Thanks for the reply

2 minutes ago, Majestros said:

I'll have to check Saraburi out. Thanks for the reply

We actually used to live in Bangyai, Nonthaburi for 10 years having moved there from downtown to escape the traffic and pollution.

However,as the years went by and a lot of development came , the problems we escaped from caught us up. Bad traffic and increasing pollution. Central Westgate was the last straw so we sold up our house for a good profit and moved to Petchabun. Wouldn't go back if you paid me.

1 minute ago, Denim said:

We actually used to live in Bangyai, Nonthaburi for 10 years having moved there from downtown to escape the traffic and pollution.

However,as the years went by and a lot of development came , the problems we escaped from caught us up. Bad traffic and increasing pollution. Central Westgate was the last straw so we sold up our house for a good profit and moved to Petchabun. Wouldn't go back if you paid me.

I loved the opening of central westgate and Ikea, but I agree there is more traffic now as back then. Its all a matter of priorities and what you like. That is why its best to rent before buying. 

7 hours ago, dddave said:

I stayed at a MTT studio condo (Building-5) last November while I worked a show at Impact.  Maybe I was in the wrong place but it all seemed really kind of run down with a lot of motorbikes running around the place late at night.

Did find some good street food though.  

Henry15; how far is your condo from Impact? I was surprised how spread out the area was.

about 3km  Its the High Rise buildings at Bondstreet , nearby Tuwanon Rd. You can see them when you arrive by airplane at Don Muaeng.

You stayed at popular condo. That buildings are mostly occupied by office workers, small civil servants and there are 2 buidlings owned by the army where low ranked  military stay. Maybe you did not stay too long, to discover that it os a very vibrant area.

Its a also a very safe area. Thats why MTT has a very large population of female office workers. You can see tjem jogging at 04.30 am in te nearby park.

In MTT is also am open Mooban

In fact the whole of MTT is private property owned by ''Bangkok Land'' the owner of Impact. So all the roads are build an maintained by them. They have their own security and traffic control. The new monorail will have station in MTT with estates of 75 million up. In shorts its a very diverse area. There is the  Saint Xavier school one of best private school in greater Bangkok.

There is not only the numerous streetfood, but also a few  restaurants. for fine dining. Even an Hi So Chinese restaurants where they  have 4000 Baht mushrooms at the menu.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I loved the opening of central westgate and Ikea, but I agree there is more traffic now as back then. Its all a matter of priorities and what you like. That is why its best to rent before buying. 

A furniture store is your priority?

• Haha 1

Night Markets
No bar scene
Makro
Tesco
Tennis
Big C
and wait for it Celine Dion..

This forum truly is nerd central.
I'm not a fan of uneducated issan girls for hire. I have better things to do with my time

1 minute ago, Majestros said:

I'm not a fan of uneducated issan girls for hire. I have better things to do with my time

Walking around Ikea??

No idea why fools on here think going out for a drink means you have to pay for sex?? But it's ok i get it you have no friedns and just use this to justify never having a beer outside of home, or not sitting outside a 7-11.

What a weird bunch on here.