Multiple entry Schengen Visa question

Does a multiple entry Schengen visa allow visiting other Schengen countries on subsequent, separate trips without visiting the issuing country?

To be clear: when I say subsequent, separate trips, I'm talking about completely different holidays months or even years after the visa was first issued (within the validity dates of the visa, of course.)

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It’s a good question. 

I would imagine that as the visa has been issued by the initial country but on behalf of all countries within the Schengen treaty that any subsequent visits to the others Schengen nations is fine (within the visa dates).

Yes, I think and hope you are right.

Also, since more than one Schengen visa cannot he held at the same time, someone who wishes to visit country A, and who has a multiple entry 5 year visa for country B, would have to somehow have that visa cancelled before applying for a new visa at the embassy of country A.

Seems unlikely - I hope!

My wife had a longer term Schengen Visa issued by the Dutch Authorities which she used for the intial trip to the Netherlands, Belgium and France, on subsequent trips we visited France and Italy separatly, she encountered no issues whatsoever.

She currently has a visa issued by Denmark for our trip to Iceland last year, we are visiting Austria and Hungary next month and she will be using that visa, we don't expect any problems.

I suspect this will be her last free Schengen Visa obtained under the simplified Free Movement Directive, after we bale out of the EU next year I imagine to she will have to go through the full appliction process for future applications, accomodation, cash, insurance etc. 

Yes, on a MEV subsequent , separate trips without visit to the Schengen member that issued the visa is perfectly fine. A MEV would be kinda useless if you always had to visit the issuing country or get the visa cancelled...

Unless ofcourse specific limitations are indicated on the visa (in very rare cases a visa with limited territorial validity is issued which can limit the visa to specific countries or restrict you from accessing specific member states. 

Hell you could even slip the issuing country all together if you had genuine reasons to do so. You might have planned a 1 week stay in Belgium, 2 weeks in the Netherlands and 1 in Germany. But upon arrival in Belgium on the 'Dutch' visa decided to skip NL because the weather was down right awefull. Nobody would force you to spent any or most time in the Netherlands. And with a Belgium entry stamp and German exit stamp it would be hard to check if you ever visited the Netherlands.

On 7/2/2018 at 4:30 AM, Donutz said:

Yes, on a MEV subsequent , separate trips without visit to the Schengen member that issued the visa is perfectly fine. A MEV would be kinda useless if you always had to visit the issuing country or get the visa cancelled...

Unless ofcourse specific limitations are indicated on the visa (in very rare cases a visa with limited territorial validity is issued which can limit the visa to specific countries or restrict you from accessing specific member states. 

Hell you could even slip the issuing country all together if you had genuine reasons to do so. You might have planned a 1 week stay in Belgium, 2 weeks in the Netherlands and 1 in Germany. But upon arrival in Belgium on the 'Dutch' visa decided to skip NL because the weather was down right awefull. Nobody would force you to spent any or most time in the Netherlands. And with a Belgium entry stamp and German exit stamp it would be hard to check if you ever visited the Netherlands.

I did exactly that for my partner..

Obtained a visa for her from the Netherlands  embassy and then decided to go to Spain.

Archived