All Aussie Related Stuff (excluding the old age pension)

Will27

1 minute ago, simple1 said:

A word of advice for working in regional areas. Often requires working in the agricultural sector. There are government appointed agencies who assist with employment, correct payment rates and so on. From memory Sarino Russo is one...

https://www.sarinarusso.com/

She wants to see other areas of Australia,she only ended up in Sydney ,because

she has Uni friends there who helped her settle in.

will pass that info on to her, thanks mate.

regards Worgeordie

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Thanks for your help mate, looks like Australia,is faring no better

than the rest of the World when it comes to the economy.she was

a manager in the hotel industry,so I think she would not be able

to find a job in Thailand easily either at the moment,with the

downturn in tourists here because of the virus.

regards Worgeordie

Cheers mate - no worries.

If she can handle the cold there is always more work available in Canberra.  Loony left wing Greenie Govt - but as most people work for Govt their jobs are secure and the town rarely suffers any economic downturn like the rest of the country.  But is is very cold down there - both the weather and the people. 

45 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Reading between the lines your daughter is working for Asians in Sydney who are notorious for underpaying staff, as do some Australians for people on holiday work visas, no super, no holiday & sick pay etc. If she is fluent in English, can use MS apps and so on I would strongly recommend she talks to some of the well known temps agencies. Might be a good idea for you to have a look at her CV to ensure she is presenting herself in a professional manner. Also cross check her visa conditions to see if she must work in a regional area for a period of time or not.

Yeah, the 'Thai/Chinese area' I assume @worgeordie means is the eastern end of Chinatown, known as "Thainatown".  Swarming with Thai students, fodder for Asian business owners to take advantage of.  If your daughter is legally able to work @worgeordie, get her to apply for work outside of the inner city.  Most Oz employers do things legally, paying at least the minimum wage.  Temp / labour hire agencies are a very good idea. Google 'temp agency sydney' brings up a lot of business names. 

Don't go for "massage" jobs.  Even the legit ones are pressured to give "happy endings", it's what Oz punters have come to expect of "Asian massage".  As told to my wife by a middle-aged Thai masseur friend.   

The Oz unemployment rate is holding around 5.2% but they don't tell you what the "under-employment" rate is.  I hear getting one hour of work per week classes you as "employed", and therefore not reflected in the official unemployment rate.  Many people are employed as 'casual' nowadays, getting what hours / scraps are thrown their way.  Capitalist utopia!

We are getting work done on our house in northern Sydney at the moment and there are tradies (tradesmen) tripping over each other to quote for work.  Not long ago you'd have to pledge your firstborn to get a tradie to even consider quoting, so it does seem the work has dried up / the economy is not doing so well. 

33 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Cheers mate - no worries.

If she can handle the cold there is always more work available in Canberra.  Loony left wing Greenie Govt - but as most people work for Govt their jobs are secure and the town rarely suffers any economic downturn like the rest of the country.  But is is very cold down there - both the weather and the people. 

"Loony left wing Greenie govt".  <deleted>?  The current government ousted Malcolm coz he wasn't far enough to the right, Pauline Hanson is close to controlling the senate.  

Besides that, you must be an Australian citizen to work for the federal government.  There is private-sector work in Canberra, but the city is dominated by those employed by the govt.  All those politicians need to stay somewhere though and parliament has just begun sitting for the year, so there may be hotel work to be had down there. 

Canberra winter usually starts around end of April, but buildings are built for the cold - first place in Oz I ever seen those double entry / airlock front doors.  It's rare to get snow on the ground, plenty in the surrounding hills though.  NSW snowfields are a couple of hours drive away. 

4 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

You obviously didn't read those links - perhaps you should seek a financial adviser - not my job.

But if you find anything there that states an account based pension payment from Super is never treated as income by DHS (SA) then please provide that.

With respect, you shouldn't be posting misinformation.

Maybe you should just own up to the fact that you made a mistake, that you don't understand AAP/DHS legislation, in particular deemed income on income streams, and move on.

Since 1 January 2015, income from super pensions for AAP eligibility has been deemed i.e. based on super balance.

Super pension payments are not classed as income by DHS.

"If you started receiving an account-based pension on or after 1 January 2015, then Centrelink treats your account-based pension account as a financial asset and uses the deeming rules to determine your ‘deemed income’ from your account-based pension."

https://www.canstar.com.au/account-based-pensions/account-based-pension-rules-work/

"Deeming is a set of rules used to work out the income created from your financial assets. It assumes these assets earn a set rate of income, no matter what they really earn."

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/topics/deeming/29656

And for Newstart….

"Assessable income can also be:

deemed income from money in superannuation funds if you’ve reached Age Pension age."

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/newstart-allowance/how-much-you-can-get/income-and-asset-limits/income-test/income

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Can someone who has gone back or come from Australia lately,

give me the lowdown on what the economy is like over there at

the moment,I ask because my daughter is in Sydney on a 1 year

Work/Holiday visa, she's been there a month and has only been 

able to find 2 days a week selling phones, 13 $ an hour.job

She was offered a job as receptionist,60 hours a week for 15 $ an 

hour,I told her not to take it seems like slavery to me,no overtime

just 15 $ for every hour. what is the minimum wage ?,I know she

will never get that much.she can speak ,read ,and write Thai,English,Chinese

and Japanese, don't know if that would give her an advantage,at the moment

she's staying in a Thai/Chinese area ,so might as well be in Thailand,

any other parts of Oz doing better than others.

Thanks

regards worgeordie

Just curious, is your daughter travelling on a British or Thai passport?

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Or a resident.

I would have thought that permanent residents would also be allowed back in, but didn't say it, because they didn't say it, that said, I don't like the term they used, e.g. non residents, I mean I'm an Australian citizen, but a non resident for tax purposes, so glad that I heard citizen after the word non resident.

They should be clearer with their wording, i.e. only Australian citizens and permanent residents of Australia will be allowed in, but will have to self quarantine for 14 days, not hard to put in words.

14 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would have thought that permanent residents would also be allowed back in, but didn't say it, because they didn't say it, that said, I don't like the term they used, e.g. non residents, I mean I'm an Australian citizen, but a non resident for tax purposes, so glad that I heard citizen after the word non resident.

They should be clearer with their wording, i.e. only Australian citizens and permanent residents of Australia will be allowed in, but will have to self quarantine for 14 days, not hard to put in words.

Said the ban was for all non residents and non Australian citizens.

It's pretty clear to me TBH.

From Smartraveller.gov.au on Facebook today:  

The travel ban announced by the Prime Minister this afternoon does not apply to Australian citizens. 

If you’re an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you and your immediate family will of course be able to return to Australia. You’ll still be required to self-isolate for 14 days.

If you’re a foreign national visiting Australia, you’ll still be allowed to depart Australia.

The new border controls come into effect from 9pm 20 March 2020. For more information, see: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/news-media/current-alerts/novel-coronavirus

For information on self-isolation, see: https://www.health.gov.au/health-topics/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov

9 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

But nothing about permanent residents ?

I tried calling the Embassy in Bangkok as well as the DFAT help line in Oz this arvo. Just got robot replies. We are due to fly on the 24th. Wife has Thai passport and Australian permanent resident status. I hope we can both go. I'm pretty confident that we will be ok, but there is always that nagging thought that won't go away until she has her boarding pass in her hand.

This situation is changing too fast to keep up with.

Just now, emptypockets said:

I tried calling the Embassy in Bangkok as well as the DFAT help line in Oz this arvo. Just got robot replies. We are due to fly on the 24th. Wife has Thai passport and Australian permanent resident status. I hope we can both go. I'm pretty confident that we will be ok, but there is always that nagging thought that won't go away until she has her boarding pass in her hand.

She will be allowed in, trust me on that, because the only difference between citizenship and permanent residency is the latter cannot vote, that is it, so she is good to go !

Safe travels, and I know the above because I did the wife's citizenship before we left so as to save her having to renew her permanent residency at the embassy every 5 years when we moved here, suffice to say if she forgot she would have to reapply, F-that ????

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

She will be allowed in, trust me on that, because the only difference between citizenship and permanent residency is the latter cannot vote, that is it, so she is good to go !

Safe travels, and I know the above because I did the wife's citizenship before we left so as to save her having to renew her permanent residency at the embassy every 5 years when we moved here, suffice to say if she forgot she would have to reapply, F-that ????

Thanks mate, very reassuring. Guess we'll be spending the 14 days isolation studying for the citizenship test.

Have to brush up on her history of when gold was first discovered in Victoria. There are some totally stupid questions in the test that a lot of Aussies couldn't answer, me included.

9 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Thanks mate, very reassuring. Guess we'll be spending the 14 days isolation studying for the citizenship test.

Have to brush up on her history of when gold was first discovered in Victoria. There are some totally stupid questions in the test that a lot of Aussies couldn't answer, me included.

Hahaha yeh lol, I remember when my Mrs went for the test, she did ask me a couple of times of some questions that I had no idea of, but I believe it was multiple choice when she did hers and passed with flying colours.

Good luck and yes citizenship has more weight, just renew the passport every 10 years and if she forgets, no big deal, its an application again vs permanent residency application.

24 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

This from the Embassy website.

Australia is closing its borders to all non-citizens and non-residents.

The entry ban takes effect from 9pm AEDT Friday, 20 March 2020, with exemptions only for Australian citizens, permanent residents and their immediate family, including spouses, legal guardians and dependants.

New Zealand citizens who live in Australia as Australian residents are also exempt, as are New Zealanders transiting to New Zealand. Exemptions for Pacific Islanders transiting to their home countries will continue to apply.

Australian citizens and permanent residents and those exempt from our entry restrictions will continue to be subject to a strict 14 days self-isolation.

Our number one priority is to slow the spread of coronavirus to save lives.

Our government has taken this unprecedented step because around 80 per cent of coronavirus cases in Australia are people who caught the virus overseas before entering Australia, or people who have had a direct contact with someone who has returned from overseas.

Our previous travel and entry restrictions have already meant that daily travel to Australia by non-citizens has been reduced to about one third of what it was this time last year.

We also strongly urge Australians looking to return home to do so as soon as possible. This follows our upgraded travel advice for all Australians not to travel overseas, at all.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade will provide consular advice and assistance, but the capacity for DFAT to provide consular services may be limited by local restrictions on movement, as well as the full scale of the challenges posed by coronavirus.

Australians who cannot, or do not want to, return home should follow the advice of local authorities and minimise their risk of coronavirus exposure by self-isolating.

The government is in discussions with airlines about the continuance of some international flights for the purpose of bringing Australians home and continuing the movement of goods and freight.

These challenges vary and the situation is changing rapidly.

Our government will continue to act on the best available information to keep Australians safe.

23 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Citizens cannot be deported, residents can:smile:

13 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Citizens cannot be deported, residents can:smile:

Citizens can have their citizenship revoked as well, but only if they were not born in Australia and later became citizens, but also only if they had dual citizenships otherwise they would be stateless.

23 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

Idle curiousity but if an Oz/UK dual citizen (like moi) goes through process of formally renouncing UK citizenship do they get protection from possible Oz revocation?

Good question, I would think that once you renounce your citizenship with the UK, you are an Australian Citizen because you would have Buckley's at getting your UK citizenship back.

So to answer your question, we would be stuck with you ????

I'm wondering whether all the states closing their borders to, effectively, NSW and VIC residents will also close their borders to NSW & VIC GST subsidies?

Those two states wouldn't mind a few hundred extra ICU beds right around now. 

Now things are getting serious:biggrin:

Coronavirus crisis: WA Government puts limits on beer, wine and spirits

The State Government has announced restrictions on the amount of alcohol West Australians will be allowed to buy to try amid coronavirus panic-buying.

Shoppers will limited to one carton of beer, cider or pre-mixed spirited each day or three bottles of wine, a litre of spirits or a litre of fortified wine.

Drinkers will be able to mix between two types of booze, providing they don’t exceed the limits.

And before you rush to the bottleshop to stock up, the rules have already come into effect. The new rules will be enforced from 10am this morning.

The State Government says the limits will be in place for at least two weeks.

It comes just days after pubs, restaurants and cafe were limited to takeaways only, prompting many West Aussies to stock up for nights in at home.

Premier Mark McGowan said the decision was made with Police Commissioner Chris Dawson

“These are extraordinary times, and every Western Australian needs to play their part,” he said.

I've got a mate in Brisbane who's doing it tough at the moment. He works as a taxi driver and apparently is only making about $50 a day due to the CV19 economy downturn. He has no money in the bank and no assets. The little money that he's making does not cover his living costs. He rent's a room and is aware of the rent moratorium, but what he needs is cash at this time.

He says he doesn't qualify for Newstart because his income is variable and not fixed.

I asked him to contact Centrelink to inquire if there's any Govt handout available, but he says there isn't. I'm not convinced about this and I tried searching without success.

Does anyone have a link to any recently announced benefit that he would be entitled to?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Archived