Singapore Urges Fans To Be Cautious In Bangkok

george

Singapore urges fans to be cautious in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Singapore has urged its travelling soccer fans to exercise caution ahead of a potentially explosive ASEAN Championship final second leg in Thailand amid soured ties between the two nations.

The city-state's soccer chiefs said they did not expect angry scenes at Sunday's return leg in Bangkok, despite uproar in soccer-mad Thailand over a dubious late penalty in the first match on Wednesday, but told supporters to be cautious.

"We are telling fans to be on their best behaviour and to stay in groups," John Koh, general secretary of the Football Association of Singapore (FAS), told Reuters on Friday.

"We want people to take this calmly and exercise caution. We are telling our fans to go to the game, but to be cautious and to be sensible. We don't want to stir this up any more."

Thai media reacted with fury at the outcome of Wednesday's first leg in Singapore after the Thai team stormed off the field and refused to allow the disputed penalty to be taken for 15 minutes.

They were headed for a 1-1 draw when Malaysian referee C. Ravichandran awarded the spot kick after Noh Alam Shah went down in the area.

'ROBBERY'

Popular Thai Web site www.pantip.com was bombarded with messages from angry fans on Friday threatening to make Singapore pay for their "robbery", labelling the players and the referee "cheats" and slamming supporters for booing the Thai team.

Several Thai-language papers have dubbed the Singapore team "Temasek" after the Singaporean state investment firm which paid $3.8 billion last year for telecoms giant Shin Corp, founded by ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The takeover added fuel to anti-Thaksin street protests which led to his removal in a bloodless military putsch on Sept. 19.

Relations soured further last month when Thaksin was the guest of a Singapore cabinet minister, prompting Thailand to cancel a nine-year-old exchange programme and tear up an invitation to Foreign Minister George Yeo.

But Thai team manager Tawatchai Sajakul assured Singapore supporters they would be safe at Sunday's game and said the spat between the two countries had nothing to do with football.

"Don't be concerned that we will take this to Bangkok and do something strange," he told ESPN.

"This political feud is government to government. The Thai fans might boo the Singaporean fans once in a while, but I can tell the Singaporean people not to worry."

Riot police and bomb squads will be deployed to prevent any violence at the Supachalasai stadium, although many Singaporeans have cancelled plans to attend because of safety concerns.

-- The Guardian UK 2007-02-02

Thailand Increases Security for Controversial Football Match

BANGKOK: -- Government officials have added extra security precautions for the Sunday Asean football playoff between Thailand and Singapore, in an effort to avoid violence between angry fans.

Asean Football Federation officials and the Singapore and Thailand teams attended a meeting in Bangkok on Friday to review security arrangements for the second-leg match, according to an AFF statement.

Meanwhile, Pol Lt Gen Virote Chantharangsri, the Bangkok metropolitan police commissioner, said more uniformed and plainclothes police would be assigned to the stadium to ensure security. Metal detectors and explosive device scanners will also be installed at various checkpoints.

The commissioner urged Thai fans to stay calm and refrain from acts that might tarnish the country's image.

"Don't link politics to (international) sports," the chief warned, according to a Thai News Agency report.

Relations between Thailand and Singapore have been tense since early January when Thailand took diplomatic actions against the island government for allowing deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to meet with the Singaporean deputy prime minister.

In the teams' first match in Singapore on January 31, a controversial penalty kick sparked anger among some Thai fans and players who believed the referee's call was biased in Singapore's favor. Thai players and staff staged a brief protest by walking off the field but later returned to the pitch. Singapore won the game, 2-1.

After the match, a group of Thai workers in Singapore boycotted work in protest but returned to work on Friday.

Chuthathawat Inthornsuksri, the general-secretary of Thailand's Ministry of Labour, urged people not to commit acts that could harm relations between the countries.

--The Irrawaddy UK 2007-02-02

Singapore and Thailand aren't all that chummy as it is. Why'd they have to go piss the Thais off at the sport they all obsess over.

Heh does Singapore even care that much? It seems like all the rage and tears is coming from the Thai side. It's been this way since the diplomatic spat a few weeks ago. Every day we hear vindicativeness and slurs being hurled at Singapore.

This wasn't a story til the authorities in Thailand made it one...As far as I can tell, none of this had occured to anyone until AFTER the Thai authorities announced they were stepping up security to 'protect' Singaporean fans. This is all part of the behind-the-scenes manoeuvering in the ongoing bilateral spat - and was almost certainly done to start something, not prevent it from happening.

It had the intended affect. Singapore fans are now frightened. And everyone now EXPECTS something to happen - a self-fulfilling prophecy. Cunning - and ruthless.

Edited by thaigene2

The Thai team really embarrassed themselves in Singapore, I can't blame the Singapore fans for booing them. I kept asking my Thai friends "Are the refs using instant replay of something? Why arent they taking the field?", Ive never seen anything like that in my life, not even from sporting events with 7 and 8 year olds.

Singapore returns quota of over 2,000 football tickets

Singapore Football Association has returned most of its Sunday match tickets, the Thai Football Association said Saturday.

The Singapore association could sell only 94 of 2,500 tickets under its quota so it has returned the remaining tickets to the Thai Football Association, an official said.

The official said the remaining tickets for the final leg of the Asean Football Championship between Thailand and Singapore would be sold to Thai fans at 10 am and each fan can buy only two tickets.

source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30025877

I thought referee was going to book me

post-27080-1170513009_thumb.jpg

The referee's poor decision created the problem

The Singaporean football player who was awarded a penalty thinks the spot kick should not have been given, as he makes a revelation:

Noh Alam Shah, the Singapore striker awarded a controversial penalty fiercely protested at by the Thai squad, has admitted he thinks the spot kick should not have been given.

The foul led to Singapore scoring the decisive goal in an ill-tempered Asean Football Championship final first leg.

Wednesday's heated contest ended dramatically after Malaysian referee C Ravichandran awarded the disputed penalty eight minutes from time. The hosts converted to take a 2-1 advantage into Sunday's second leg in Bangkok.

Alam Shah tumbled in the box as he and Thailand defender Niweat Siriwong jostled for the ball from a left-side free kick. Alam Shah appeared to fall accidentally.

The referee's decision plunged the game into turmoil. The Thai players vociferously protested and walked off for about 15 minutes.

"I was stunned. I did not expect a penalty," Alam Shah is quoted in Singapore's Straits Times yesterday.

"When I first saw the referee walking towards me I thought he was going to book me," he said. Alam Shah would have missed Sunday's leg if he had been yellow-carded.

post-27080-1170513643_thumb.jpg

The Singapore football team celebrates

The penalty also surprised Alam Shah's team mates.

Shahril Ishak, near Alam Shah when he went down, said: "I was preparing to go back to my own half, because I thought a free-kick would be given to the Thais."

Nigerian-born defender Precious Emuejeraye agreed: "I thought the referee was going to book Alam Shah for a foul."

"I was surprised when he pointed to the spot instead," said the burly centre-half.

The Asean Football Championship second-leg showdown between Thailand and defending champions Singapore will go ahead as scheduled, but the Thai team still faces possible action for its protest from the Asean Football Federation (AFF), which meets tomorrow.

The AFF is examining match-commissioner and referee-inspector reports of a game tainted by dubious decisions.

Once the regional body delivers its decision to the Asian Football Confederation the latter will decide if there will be further action.

The controversial first-leg result has served only to stir up emotion in Thailand amid growing bad-blood between the two countries following the diplomatic spat over a recent visit by ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to the city-state.

post-27080-1170512853_thumb.jpg

Malaysian referee C. Ravichandran

A hostile atmosphere is expected in Bangkok, and the Football Association of Thailand (FAT) will beef up security at the game.

FAT honorary life president Chaiyapak Siriwat said 500 security officers would be present. He insisted Thailand would do its utmost to prevent incidents before, during and after the game. Special attention will be given to the safety of Singapore's players and travelling fans.

"The second leg has become a volatile issue which we must handle carefully, considering every aspect. I would like Thai fans to be good hosts," Chaiyapak said.

"What's done is done. We don't want the second match to end in the same manner. Player morale is good, and I believe we will win and win in a manner Thai fans can be proud of.

"Given the performance we gave in the first game, I'm convinced we are better than they are," said Chaiyapak.

However, reports in Singapore suggest fans there are worried about the uproar in this country and have cancelled travel plans.

The dust has yet to settle. A report in Thai-language newspaper Siam Sport claimed the result had been fixed so Singapore could profit from bets and fund multibillion-dollar sports developments as its prepares for a 2014 Commonwealth Games bid.

The Nation

Appeals for calm ahead of Asean final

post-27080-1170514387_thumb.jpg

Thailand and Singapore fans on Saturday were urged to stay calm at the potentially volatile Asean football championships decider here, after controversy marred this week's first leg.

Officials of both sides appealed for restraint ahead of Sunday's match, which Singapore enter 2-1 ahead thanks to a hotly disputed penalty which sparked a 15-minute walk-off by the Thai players.

The Asean Football Federation (AFF) will discuss possible sanctions against Thailand before the match at Bangkok's national stadium, where fans will be guarded by 300 police and barred from carrying bottled drinks.

Thailand's team manager, Thavatchai Sajakul, held a joint press conference with Singapore coach Radojko Avramovic to call for fans to behave.

"I hope to see a hospitable crowd in the stadium for our visitors," Thavatchai said.

"I like to say that football is a sport which aims to bring people together and create close cooperation," added Avramovic.

Thailand were drawing 1-1 in the first leg in Singapore when Malaysian referee C. Ravichandran awarded a dubious penalty, prompting shambolic scenes as the visitors stormed off the pitch and refused to play.

Mustafic Fahrudin converted the spot kick when order was restored.

Diplomatic problems have also given the match added tension.

Thais were outraged when Singapore's state investment arm bought telecoms giant Shin Corp in a controversial tax-free deal from the family of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a September coup.

Bilateral ties soured further when Thaksin met Singapore Deputy Prime Minister S. Jayakumar last month, drawing protests from Thailand's military leadership.

However, Major General Vanich Surapholchai from the Thai metropolitan police was confident Thai supporters would not target the 2,000 Singapore fans expected to travel.

"They will sit in a different corner. I am sure that Thai fans are disciplined enough to differentiate between sports and politics," Vanich said.

The Thai Football Association said some 30,000 tickets sold out within a few hours on Saturday.

Agence France-Presse

--------------------------------------------------

Thai fans wait eagerly in long queues to buy tickets at the Supachalasai Stadium Saturday. Many of them were disappointed and failed to get tickets for the second leg of the Asean Football Championship which will be held Sunday. Some 20,000 tickets were sold out in two hours.

post-27080-1170514527_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1170514597_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1170514697_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1170514490_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1170514657_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1170514746_thumb.jpg

Tickets are 100, 200 and 300 baht.

post-27080-1170514801.jpg

post-27080-1170514780_thumb.jpg

Hahaha Thailand will beat Singapore 2-0 in Bangkok ... Better tell singaporean fans not to come

The true sporting spirit would be for Thai fans to give a STANDING OVATION to the Singapore team when they take to the pitch - to show that Thais are not the juveniles gits that some are trying to stir them up to be. Chai Yo...(will never happen of course..becuase they are the...whatever)

This wasn't a story til the authorities in Thailand made it one...As far as I can tell, none of this had occured to anyone until AFTER the Thai authorities announced they were stepping up security to 'protect' Singaporean fans. This is all part of the behind-the-scenes manoeuvering in the ongoing bilateral spat - and was almost certainly done to start something, not prevent it from happening.

Unstable leaders need an enemy to shift the focus and redirect questioning, unsettled fury. As Orwell hammered home, Big Brother needed Goldstein, Napoleon needed Snowball and it appears Thailand needs Singapore in much the same way.

The Thai team really embarrassed themselves in Singapore, I can't blame the Singapore fans for booing them. I kept asking my Thai friends "Are the refs using instant replay of something? Why arent they taking the field?", Ive never seen anything like that in my life, not even from sporting events with 7 and 8 year olds.

It actually reminded me of some sort of junior school petulance. The ref's decision was crap, but all the amateur dramatics that have since ensued make Thailand look absolutely pathetic.

it was a pretty exciting game to watch , even if the standard of play was pretty dismal at times.

the most inspirational member of the singapore team was undoubtedly the long legged , loamy loined , luscious looking physio , whose thigh massaging abilities could raise the dead.

I wished they had resolved this over football - had the Thais won, they'd gladly forgive Singapore all the past misdemeanors and life would be back to normal. Now just wait for some other unfortunate episode for hostilities to break again.

Thai team played very well and deserved to win but in football you have to learn to take a lot of shit before Lady Luck notices your efforts. Whining and protesting after the first game deserved them a punishment from her for being so childish.

Singapore press, Straits Times and Today - are both reporting no trouble and have reports from Thai town "Golden Mile Complex" about the reaction there.

As usual its pretty bland

I did want Thailand to win until the walk off in the first leg - they should have been made to forfeit the match for that.

So I actually cheered in Muddy Murphy's last night when Singapore equalised.

Apart from the football the Temasek, Shin Corp spat is seen as a bit of a joke down here with only people I know who have Thai connections showing any interest.