How to call toll-free (1-800-) number in usa

Acharn

I need to call a government agency in the U.S. Like many government agencies they are very hard for expats to contact. The only way to contact them is by calling a "toll-free" number. There is no street address, no snail mail address, no email address, and no telephone number other than the 1-800 number. I can call my credit union and my bank in the u.s., because both of them have regular phone numbers. I can call some other government agencies because they have regular phone numbers, and sometimes even have email or contact pages on the internet. I can direct dial to the U.S. through DTAC, no problem, but I cannot direct dial to an 800 number as far as I can tell. Every time I try I get a sound that sounds like a man's voice saying a single syllable, and then a woman's voice, maybe two syllables, and then the line is cut. Does anybody know a work-around? I notice DTAC also has no way to contact them for assistance. I haven't tried TOT yet, but I gave up my land line a couple of years ago.

Example:

UPS shows a hotline: 1-800-742-5877

I dialed 001 1 800 742 5877 from AIS mobile.

(two times digit "1"!)

Now the strange result:

First attempt directly hearing "Welcome to UPS...".

Second attempt a lengthy announcement in Thai followed by announcement in perfect (US) English that the call to 800 number from outside USA is not free and that you will be charged and should otherwise hang up.

?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Third attempt: again directly to UPS.

Listening longer and hear something about "Independence Day"!

Congratulations!

Having been charged.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Now tried the 009 CAT prefix for a cheaper rate.

And there:

009 1 800 742 5877

(digit "1" only once)

directly results in "Welcome ...".

? Strange.

And the charge seems not better than at the other attempts (~ 11 Baht).

11 minutes ago, USNret said:

Skype to 1-800 numbers is free. Just load the app on your smart phone or computer, create an account, and you’re golden.

Thanks for the "free".

I am not familiar with that.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, attrayant said:

I use my Google voice number, which has a 202 (DC) area code, for such things.  Or any time I need to give out a US-based telephone number.  If you don't have one, maybe now's the time.

Does it have voicemail? 

1 hour ago, ThaiWai said:

Does it have voicemail? 

Yes.  When somebody calls me and I'm not in front of my PC, it goes to voicemail.  If the caller leaves a message, it creates a transcript and puts that in my inbox, so I can read it.

voice.PNG.465ff85980a2e0540871378d124d5977.PNG

Edited by attrayant
  • Thanks 2

I call 800 numbers in the US all the time. I use AIS One-Two Call.  You can use the following- with AIS only

003-1-800-xxx-xxxx

001-1-800-xxx-xxxx

009-1-8oo-xxx-xxxx

If you have DTAC-  make sure they will allow international calling on your phone (ask their customer  service)

004-1-800-xxx-xxxx

Sometimes you get an English recording indicating the 800 number is not free- hang up if you do not wish to continue.  It will then connect in a few seconds.

Good Luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use Skype and have done so for years.  It is great for 800 number calls to the USA as there is no charge as I listen to "your call is important to us, please hold the line for the next available . . .".  Also, as mentioned, if the person you are calling has Skype, then it is free - but if they don't, the cost is minimal for calling a landline or mobile number.

But, for US$60 a year, I have my own telephone number in US - you can choose which area code you want for your number - anyone calling that number is routed to me through Skype and if I call them, their caller ID sees my US number. Most of my friends and family have mobile phone plans that let them call any USA number free during certain hours - thus they can call my US number at no cost and I pay no fees other than my annual fee for the service.

I no longer have Skype on my PC - instead, I have my IOS App - so if I get a call, it comes to my mobile phone through the app - no forwarding cost (Skype will let you forward your Skype calls to another number for a fee).

Edited by soisanuk
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I call 800 numbers in the US all the time. I use AIS One-Two Call.  You can use the following- with AIS only

003-1-800-xxx-xxxx

001-1-800-xxx-xxxx

009-1-8oo-xxx-xxxx

Good to read that my results for 2nd and 3rd version are reproducible.

Buy a Magic Jack ( Google it ) or have someone in US send you one.   Attaches to your PC or internet router and gives you free calls to the US and Canada . Also it gives you a US number so that anyone in the US can call you for free. Costs about $35 a year. I use it to call any number in USA including  Gov 800 numbers and you can talk for  hours no charge.