Is there an unofficial alcohol limit of 2 liters flying in?

leonardjones625

read up about two months ago on TV: people were reportedly stopped after leaving the baggage collection hall, after the customs exit, for carrying more than one bottle.
True or not, I do not know more than what was posted, Legal or not, I have a strong opinion,
but tourists said to have been parted with huge sums of money, and in such case for sure
were left with a very bitter taste in their mouth about justice ; hospitality ; and greed .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

Several years ago I arrived at Swampy with a 2L bottle of spirits. I tried to declare it at the red channel  and was told not to bother and go through the green channel.

I am not aware when/if rules have changed.

And maybe they had their happy day and very impressed that a "farang" comes through the red channel. Or just lazy to do the paperwork and cash in on duty?

One litre and Excise Department staff have been stepping up enforcement in the last year.  I have been stopped twice in the arrivals hall (after Customs) in the last 12 months and subjected to a baggage search in their little office.  Booze and smokes their only target.

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes, 1 liter (volume not alc. content).

So a big bottle of wine and that's it.

Or 1 liter of high percentage spirit.

If you travel in a group:

never put stuff together in one bag.

The unhappy chap whom the bag is assigned too will be heavily fined (like 20k).

Each to his own bag.

Duty free: every person with it's own individual receipt.

This story about receipts seems to be doing the rounds. What if you don't have (or why do you even need to have) a receipt?

15 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

I have been stopped twice as well in the arrivals hall after exit. No search just showed them my duty free. I was not over the limit. My advice is its not really worth it for say 500B. 

It's a bit like the people who put luggage in overhead lockers on airlines when the case is clearly too heavy and too large.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who bitch about being heavily fined or charged for breaches of laws or regulations. You pushed at the boundaries, and came unstuck. Move on.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

The airlines show a video just before landing stating ONE litre of alcohol, 200 cigarettes and the equivalent of $10k USD per passenger. What little you might save by taking a chance bringing in more is NOT worth the hassle!

• Like 1

Asking a question:

is it possible to carry 3 or 4 bottles of alchool of 10 cl each? I suppose it should be ok because the total volume is under 1 liter. Anybody knows it for sure? I wouldn't like to get hard time at Immigration?

Thank you.

15 minutes ago, marioc said:

Asking a question:

is it possible to carry 3 or 4 bottles of alchool of 10 cl each? I suppose it should be ok because the total volume is under 1 liter. Anybody knows it for sure? I wouldn't like to get hard time at Immigration?

Thank you.

Yes, as long as the cumulative amount of booze is at or under 1 litre.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I too have been stopped by police a couple of times in arrivals hall, shortly after customs and asked how much alcohol and cigarettes I have brought in. Not asked to show, just asked. Have also once had my bag put through the x-ray machine in customs. No contraband so no problem. Would really like to bring in a vaping kit, but guess even disassembled that it's not worth it. Anyone?

34 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Yes, I too have been stopped by police a couple of times in arrivals hall, shortly after customs and asked how much alcohol and cigarettes I have brought in. Not asked to show, just asked. Have also once had my bag put through the x-ray machine in customs. No contraband so no problem. Would really like to bring in a vaping kit, but guess even disassembled that it's not worth it. Anyone?

Regards the Vape. 

You can openly buy at weekend markets..

All around pattaya..

Regards hooch.

I usually put it in my checked bag.

Buy retail on special. 

Especially the good wines.

Never had an issue.

Bkk duty free isn't that cheap. 

Baileys was 1000 baht last time I checked the airport. 

If you want to avoid getting stopped then put your duty free inside your hand luggage out of sight. Not foolproof but reduces the probability. The customs at Suvarnabhumi specifically target people carrying duty free bags. I travel through monthly always on Emirates and Dubai duty free bags seem to attract a lot of attention.