Reaffixing component to laptop motherboard?

partjfos

Hi, my battery was loose in laptop, it rattled around and over time dislodged a component on the motherboard.  Laptop will now not  turn on for more than a few seconds before switching off.

Attached picture shows the piece and where it came from. Can it  be  reaffixed, if so where? I tried pantip plaza and a couple of the vendors there were too hesitant to give it a go. I think they were scared of breaking the laptop.

Another quality HP product? HP Envy?

They'll probably prefer to just replace the Motherboard;  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/689844-002-QAU30-LA-8661P-Laptop-Motherboard-For-hp-ENVY4-ENVY6-693234-001-intel-SR0N8-i5/32796732241.html

or perhaps;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/700480-001-QAU30-LA-8662P-693229-001-w-i5-3317U-Mainboard-for-HP-Envy-4-1000/32826772820.html

I'm just guessing at the Motherboard and device, so make sure that you obtain exactly the right Motherboard for your device.

With a Motherboard replacement, there may also be the issue of licencing, though an official HP service centre may be able to take care of that. So find of the cost of them changing the Motherboard for you if you supply the Motherboard for yourself.

That's a small SMD (surface mounted device) that has come loose so needs a technician with special SMD soldering station or a regular small soldering iron with a needlepoint bit.... and a very, very steady hand.

• Like 2

It's not worth replacing the entire motherboard, laptop is about 5 years old.  Not looking to spend any more than 2000-3000 baht.  The guy at Pantip said he would do it for 600 then changed his mind.

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

That's a small SMD (surface mounted device) that has come loose so needs a technician with special SMD soldering station or a regular small soldering iron with a needlepoint bit.... and a very, very steady hand.

Any idea where (Bangkok preferably)?

Other sellers; https://www.amazon.com/708962-501-HP-Ultrabook-Motherboard-i5-3317u/dp/B01C15T9R6

https://www.ebay.com/p/HP-Envy-4-1000-Series-Intel-Motherboard-708962-501-La-8662p/1423964628

https://www.walmart.com/ip/708962-501-HP-Envy-4-1100-Ultrabook-Motherboard-w-Intel-i5-3317u-1-7Ghz-CPU/154499385

https://www.empowerlaptop.com/p/hp-708962-501-motherboard/

I'm sure you can find other options.

If it's not worth it, then what will you do? Buy a new laptop for 2000 to 3000 baht?

If a friend can deliver the US$47 Motherboard to you, it can make it cost effective.

It's not awfully clear from the photo but I think I see copper on the legs of the detached device.

This suggests that the tracks have been ripped from the board, meaning it's pretty well guaranteed to be toast.

Time for a new board, or a new lappie.

• Like 1

It looks like maybe one trace (upper right) is ripped, but nothing that can't be salvaged.

This is actually one of the larger SMD parts, quite easy to solder, and a piece of wire wrap wire (anyone remember that) can be used to fix the trace to the next via.

There used to be people with very decent equipment in the cellar at Zeer Rangsit you can give a try, not sure if they're still there though.

Otherwise any soldering iron will suffice (if it hasn't got a blowtorch heating it)

It could probably be soldered back on as it's not that small of an IC chip.  I've soldered smaller ICs that it.   However, for the whole IC to come off like it did means its probably a latent factory defect caused by cold solder joints (i.e., piss poor soldering whether by robot or human).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jdietz said:

There used to be people with very decent equipment in the cellar at Zeer Rangsit you can give a try, not sure if they're still there though.

The guys with the SMD kit are now on 3 and 4, can't hurt to give them a look.

• Like 2

You could try to go to one of those shops which repair mobile phones. They are very much used to small parts and difficult soldering.

Some of those shops have a microscope setup for soldering. They should be able to help you.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 2:26 PM, partjfos said:

It's not worth replacing the entire motherboard, laptop is about 5 years old.  Not looking to spend any more than 2000-3000 baht.  The guy at Pantip said he would do it for 600 then changed his mind.

Any idea where (Bangkok preferably)?

Please look for places where they fix TV's and wait for it. They usually know where to get that part, as well. 

• Like 2

On 7/5/2018 at 6:26 PM, Pib said:

It could probably be soldered back on as it's not that small of an IC chip.  I've soldered smaller ICs that it.   However, for the whole IC to come off like it did means its probably a latent factory defect caused by cold solder joints (i.e., piss poor soldering whether by robot or human).

Made in C?

• 11 months later...

I'm the OP.  I got around to trying to fix this again recently and tried Fortune Mall.  I took it to the official HP repairer first, who said they couldn't fix it.  I then tried an independent shop a couple along from them who said the same but showed me exactly why, you can see the contacts are knackered:

IMG_20190423_153815.thumb.jpg.57aa25f062b017531ac30f8eadb4b6cb.jpg

I find a lot of shops will just say they cannot fix it but you are not sure if they mean it cannot be fixed or they are not capable of fixing it.  Like at the HP shop they take it in a backroom so you are not sure what they are doing to determine that they can't fix it.  This guy had poor english but was friendly and helpful and he had some decent equipment as well as the microscope thing used to get this image.  I'm sure he could fix something like this if it was fixable.

Here's his contact anyway: 

20190630_182217.thumb.jpg.70ef320263a30c3130a43b2697dec8f4.jpg  

I found a used motherboard on eBay for not much more than 3000 baht including shipping.  I installed that myself no problem but then discovered the harddrive had died.  Bought a new harddrive from Pantip Plaza and they installed a dodgy copy of Windows on it for me for 1000ish baht total.

Laptop now working fine!

18 minutes ago, wvtop9 said:

I'm the OP.  I got around to trying to fix this again recently and tried Fortune Mall.  I took it to the official HP repairer first, who said they couldn't fix it.  I then tried an independent shop a couple along from them who said the same but showed me exactly why, you can see the contacts are knackered:

I find a lot of shops will just say they cannot fix it but you are not sure if they mean it cannot be fixed or they are not capable of fixing it.  Like at the HP shop they take it in a backroom so you are not sure what they are doing to determine that they can't fix it.  This guy had poor english but was friendly and helpful and he had some decent equipment as well as the microscope thing used to get this image.  I'm sure he could fix something like this if it was fixable.

Here's his contact anyway: 

20190630_182217.thumb.jpg.70ef320263a30c3130a43b2697dec8f4.jpg  

I found a used motherboard on eBay for not much more than 3000 baht including shipping.  I installed that myself no problem but then discovered the harddrive had died.  Bought a new harddrive from Pantip Plaza and they installed a dodgy copy of Windows on it for me for 1000ish baht total.

Laptop now working fine!

Let's hope it was an SSD and not an old mechanical HDD. Really no need to install shonky Windows these days, when you can install genuine Windows 10 for nothing or next to nothing.

49 minutes ago, wvtop9 said:

It's possible to fix problems like that. You look at the traces and make new connections. That is obviously work which needs some patience but it's not really too difficult. I did the following myself on a SD-Card module for an Arduino. I didn't have another module and I wanted to get it working so I spend a little time (and a 30AWG wire) and fixed it.

SD-Card.thumb.jpg.947c0cf780aa6bbc76bb4e86f432c7d4.jpg