Limitations for Thai Elite Visa Holders ?

Is it true like some other thread suggests that a TE-Visa holder

1. May not obtain an ordinary Thai Driving License (only temporary 2 year license)

2. Might not make a valid Thai Will

Background: TE-Visa Holder has obviously a status of a tourist and be it for 10 years or more.

1. There is no fixed rule for that. It can depend upon where the license is applied for.

2. That does not sound correct. I don't think there is any particular visa requirement to do a will here.

At DLT in Bangkok you need a non-immigrant visa to obtain a 5 year licence (after the initial 2 year).

The SE or PE visa offered by Thai Elite is not a non-immigrant visa and thus I was only able to secure the 2 year temporary licence (even though I was renewing from my 2nd 5 year licence) 

• Like 2

For me it would be in the Pattaya Area with the DLT responsible for that area. I would simply have to ask there I suppose. 2 year temporary would do in the worst case. And its time my wife learns how to drive, too.

More important and all-crucial is the will topic: You may certainly make a will but will it be valid ? I suppose yes and I have been overthinking too much. Under ususal circumstances, as a "tourist", you would have a "non-Tourist" adress somewhere. In my case this would not apply, for I would need to give up my current home completely when I will enter Thailand as a retiree and my Thai home would then be my only home. I will clarify the will question with a lawyer to be absolutely sure.

....and thanks again for all the valuable ideas and insights anyway

Just asked a friend with the Elite Visa. One of the early members. Got 5 year DL in Pattaya albeit years ago and gets the VIP treatment that goes along with money in this country, in most official situations. 

A Will has nothing to do with any visa and anybody with property or assets in TH can do a local Will. Basic rules apply. Can also be registered at the Amphuer, but no requirement to do so. Resident foreigners can actually opt to apply TH civil law for their ww. Estate. Or they can opt for the TH will just to cover assets in TH. Have friends who used this to go around restrictions regarding probate in their home country. The translated and verified court docs were accepted overseas. Again, a few years back. Things change and governments create more and more laws to control every aspect of our lives. 

Simple cases DIY. More complex cases hire a lawyer. Important to assign a 100% honest and trustworthy executor aka administrator. 

Regards. MS>

Your visa status has nothing to do with the validity of your will in Thailand.

Generally speaking, you should have a Will in your home country for your assets abroad, and a Will specifically for your assets in Thailand. I would not recommend that you mix the two (difficulties over cost and jurisdiction).

You can get DIY kits for foreign will for validity in your home country. They can be executed over here, although I would recommend that you obtain copies of any witnesses' passports and/or ID. If your circumstances are complicated, I would recommend that you get a lawyer who is experienced in dealing with wills and probate (not all are). It can be cheaper in the long run to get it right first time round as obviously it will be too late after the fact. You need to state that your will covers your assets in your home country (or globally apart from Thailand, if you have e.g. off-shore accounts or other assets).

Your foreign will can be modified for use here. You just need to specify that the Will covers your assets in Thailand only.

• Like 1

I had a 1 year temporary DL and then I got a 5yr DL and have since changed to Elite visa. Recently renewed my DL and they gave me 5 years. I had asked the Elite personnel and they said only 2 years.

So I guess it depends which Land Transport Office you go too....this was in Phetchabun province. Very helpful people there ?

6 hours ago, ace1 said:

I had a 1 year temporary DL and then I got a 5yr DL and have since changed to Elite visa. Recently renewed my DL and they gave me 5 years. I had asked the Elite personnel and they said only 2 years.

So I guess it depends which Land Transport Office you go too....this was in Phetchabun province. Very helpful people there ?

Seems like if an office is very busy they will give you 5 years. If they are not too busy they will make it 2 years to keep themselves in work and a job. This can happen with anything in any country, not just Thai Government Departments.

11 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Just asked a friend with the Elite Visa. One of the early members. Got 5 year DL in Pattaya albeit years ago

I also have a 5 year driving license which I got about 4 years ago in the Petchaburi office about 4 or 5 miles north of Cha Am while using a 5 year TE visa.

I do live in Hua Hin and deliberately went to the Petchaburi office as I had heard they're slackers and don't bother enforcing all the rules in the same way the other offices do ?

The rumour was true, I didn't need to watch the video, did no test and got both my one year license and a year later my five year license based on having a UK issued license.

I know someone else who went to Pranburi and they made him watch the video, do the reaction tests, etc, etc.

Edited by ukrules