Trump to avoid London protests with tour of English country homes

rooster59

5 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Ok but it’s still less than 50% of UK people that would agree with you. (Poll by The Independent).
We will have to agree to disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Independent's poll analysis.

The BMG survey for The Independent showed more people thinking it was wrong to invite him to Britain, supporting protests against him and thinking Theresa May should be more critical of her opposite number.

But it also revealed a pragmatic streak in public opinion, with more people thinking the UK should make “every effort” to oblige the US leader and believing a quick trade deal is possible after Brexit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/trump-uk-visit-protests-negative-reception-bmg-theresa-may-queen-a8436856.html

11 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

My point, exactly, plus whoever, whatever, what a disgustingly childish way to denigrate an auspicious site in London (Parliament Square)

Are you referring to the balloon or Mr Trump's possible presence in Parliament Square?

In either case, I think you are right!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Indeed and in case you're not aware the election is not decided by popular vote (but it should be) blame the constitution not Trump for that one.

Let me remind you of what you wrote:

Your opinion only. Trump was elected because most reasonable people are fed up with the pc liberals deciding the minority win and the majority lose"

Unless by reasonable people you mean electors.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Your opinion only. Trump was elected because most reasonable people are fed up with the pc liberals deciding the minority win and the majority lose and once reasonable leftists find the correct balance a megalomaniac like Trump will never get elected. This is not Britain's problem and we don't care apart from a few loonies. We welcome POTUS, duly and legally elected, not the individual.

An opinion is something that is formed on a rational view of evidence available.

It would appear that you don't have one.

Bear in mind too that one of the pillars of democracy is the right to express opinions on anything you like.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

An opinion is something that is formed on a rational view of evidence available.

It would appear that you don't have one.

Bear in mind too that one of the pillars of democracy is the right to express opinions on anything you like.

No it's not. People have opinions based irrationality too - look at religions. The point is no poster here speaks for the British public and to tout nonsense like 'he's not welcome' when you mean 'I don't welcome him'.

• Like 1

No it's not. People have opinions based irrationality too - look at religions. The point is no poster here speaks for the British public and to tout nonsense like 'he's not welcome' when you mean 'I don't welcome him'.

Agree. I ‘feel’ the majority of the British public don’t care about Trump or his history. They would have more pressing concerns that are a lot ‘nearer to home’ and their everyday lives, but that’s just my opinion without any research (other than having lived there for 50 years.)

11 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

You clearly don’t understand that public protest and activism are central to healthy democracy.

(Show me a dictatorship that allows protests or indeed people to freely congratulate or freely express their opinions).

It is also very clear you don’t understand the British sense of humour.

The demonstration and the Trump Baby Balloon are clear signs that British democracy thrives.

Trump should feel deeply honoured that he’s being treated to such a fine display of British democracy wrapped in the famed British sense of humour.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Agree. I ‘feel’ the majority of the British public don’t care about Trump or his history. They would have more pressing concerns that are a lot ‘nearer to home’ and their everyday lives, but that’s just my opinion without any research (other than having lived there for 50 years.)

Trump wasn’t the President for 50 years.

How much time have you lived in the UK during Trump’s Presidency?

Trump wasn’t the President for 50 years.

How much time have you lived in the UK during Trump’s Presidency?

My family are there today and I like to have a ‘George Raft’ like the next geezer. I agree with the sentiments in your previous post in full, just still think the placing of the ‘joke’ should have not been where it is, that’s all.

On 7/7/2018 at 12:38 AM, lanista said:

Visiting a 16 th century Manor, Windsor Castle  and Churchill's home. Finally snuggling up with the Slovak piece  in a private residency in central London.   Sounds lovely!    Experiencing grassroots England .

I will assume he wont be visiting the slums and cities of Northern England.

No US President has  visited the slums and cities of Northern England ever. Jimmy Carter's visit to Newcastle was associated with the G7 and Nato ministers conference.  Bill Clinton's visit to Birmingham was for the G8 meetings. Neither President went outside secure areas to mingle.  When the UK PM visits the USA, the PM doesn't go for tea in Compton, or a bagel in the Bronx.

On 7/7/2018 at 12:52 AM, Jonnapat said:

What a total laugh, ever heard of an American President having to avoid London?Just stay away, nobody wants you there. 

Not unreasonable, as he is coming to meet with the PM and other officials. It makes sense to stay away from London. When a country hosts a major VIP or a G7 meeting, locals are terribly inconvenienced with road closures and no go zones. In a big city, it is killer.  Trump is doing the people a London a favour by not going there. London doesn't need the disruption.

Anyway, I was wondering who Trump was going to  hang out with. Here's who I think might show up;  Gussie Fink-Nottle, Freddie Widgeon, Cyril Fotheringay-Phipps, Tuppy Glossop,  and Claude Potter-Pirbright. I wonder if he will have time for a Drones Club meal.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

Not unreasonable, as he is coming to meet with the PM and other officials. It makes sense to stay away from London. When a country hosts a major VIP or a G7 meeting, locals are terribly inconvenienced with road closures and no go zones. In a big city, it is killer.  Trump is doing the people a London a favour by not going there. London doesn't need the disruption.

Anyway, I was wondering who Trump was going to  hang out with. Here's who I think might show up;  Gussie Fink-Nottle, Freddie Widgeon, Cyril Fotheringay-Phipps, Tuppy Glossop,  and Claude Potter-Pirbright. I wonder if he will have time for a Drones Club meal.

Maybe they heard ‘It’s grim up North’ ? (Joke)